“Great value, exceptional service”
Review of Nam-Viet Pho 79

Nam-Viet Pho 79
Ranked #151 of 940 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Delicious, quick and pleasant, the food is very tasty and reasonably priced. Arlington used to be a haven for great Vietnamese food, but almost all of them have given way to the youth movement. Thank goodness Nam Viet hangs on.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Nam Viet is one of the few remaining Vietnamese restaurants in Clarendon -- there were so many just a couple decades ago. Fortunately, Nam Viet was always one of the best and it remains very popular. The food is inexpensive, very fresh, not oily and perfectly flavored. It is better than any Vietnamese restaurant I have tried in more major cities such as NY, London and Paris (aside -- in Paris many of the Viet restaurants cater to local tastes by adding creamy sauces -- not my favorite take!). The atmosphere is very basic and not charming at all but they are undergoing renovation so we will have to see what it looks like after. If you are looking for authentic, perfectly prepared Vietnamese food, Nam Viet is a great choice.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I lived in the apartments upstairs from Nam-Viet in Clarendon for a few months and ate there several times. Everything I ate was delicious and take-out was fast. There's a pretty big menu, but I usually ordered from the specials and was always pleased, particularly with the seafood dishes. My in-laws actually started ordering from here every Friday evening.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

My business colleagues and I visited Nam-Viet Pho 79 on the recommendation of a taxi driver. We wwere not disappointed. We had the Spicy Ginger Salmon, although I chose to have mine without the jalapeno peppers. A more complete description can be found on their menu at http://www.namviet1.com/vamenu.shtml. The dish was excellent. It was prepared with Alaskan salmon, which is more flavorful than farm-raised Atlantic Salmon.

There is a large Vietnamese population in Arlington, VA, and so there are many Vietnamese restaurants. This one is especially popular. There are pictures on the wall of several presidents who have been there, from Ronald Reagan to Barack Obama, as well as quite a few flag officers from the Pentagon.

The atmosphere is unpretentious, like many oriental restaurants. The main attraction is the food. The staff is attentive and knowledgeable about the menu. They made suggestions about alternative ways the food could be prepared. It is all cooked to order. I will definitely go back.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

You have to know what to order to get the right food here. The first time we had soft shelled crabs which were done nicely. The second visit, none of our food impressed us. There was little flavor in the Pho and the lemon grass beef has little lemon grass.
We won't be going back, there are too many other great Asian restaurants in the area to go here.