“Is This the Place?”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Jacksonville, Florida
“Is This the Place?”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

After our recent dining experience at Manee Thai, I had to click thru to their website to make sure the reviews were of the same restaurant. The picture of the dining room on TripAdvisor's listing looks nothing like the dining room we saw. When we saw the restaurant front on Manee's website, we knew it was the same place.

One thing that's true enough, the prices are low by D.C. standards, which was the best that could be said for Manee.

As mentioned earlier, the thumbnail pic of the dining room on Tripadvisor bears no resemblance to the restaurant's actual facilities. The decor had little connection to a Thai theme - just a figurine or wall-hanging. The tables were without tablecloths, the chairs plastic, all of a color scheme that was more in line with TexMex. A counter with bar stools, along one side and a stage set up in the back, gave the room more the feel of a bar than a restaurant.

We both ordered chicken dishes from the lunch menu. While the taste was OK, the vegetables accompanying the chicken were the cheapest possible - mostly thick cabbage pieces with carrot slices with a smattering of broccoli.

Service was all right, but it should have been. During the peak lunch period, only one other table was occupied.

Would we go back? The short answer is "no." There are much better options a couple of blocks away.

• Visited September 2013

Hampton, Virginia
“What is the Thai word for YUM? Methinx: Manee Thai”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

This place is a regular trough stop for us whenever we are in NoVa and, if there weren't so many nice places in the area, I'd give it a top rating. If it's great food you want or if you want a phenomenal meal at an incredibly reasonable price, this should be the place you program in your Nav system. Not much to look at from the outside (it's a small strip mall on Columbia Pike) and the inside is nice, but nothing special, but this place seems to rest its reputation on the sumptuous offerings which fill the menu. The Satay Gay is absolutely a great starter and we had six different entrees (Pad Thai, Cashew Chicken, Pad La, and three others) and everyone was blown away by the savory flavors and ample portions. Four of the six members of our party had NEVER had Thai food before and were somewhat reluctant to agree to go there, but all four are now sworn converts. We all looked a bit like buddha when we left, but it was sooooo worth it and the bill for all six with three satay gay chicken appetizers, six entrees, and six desserts totaling $102. Hard to beat those numbers or the quality of the meal in NoVA. Try Manee Thai -- you will love it.

• Visited May 2013
Akron, Ohio
“One of the best Thai meals I've had.”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I had just had a disastrous meal at another Thai restaurant in Arlington but took a chance at another the next day. Manee Thai just blew me away. That was the meal I had been looking for. The decor is unpretentious, the location unassuming, but the food was great. I was asked how spicy I wanted the meal, and I was thrilled with all of my choices. The Satay Gai was moist and delicious, and the peanut sauce and cucumber relish dips complemented the chicken well. The Spring Rolls were crisp and tasty, but the two entreés I ordered, the Beef Red Curry and Seafood Phuket were fantastic. I could taste layers of spice and flavors the way they are supposed to be when you eat Thai food. The value? Excellent.

There is a bar, outdoor seating and you can get takeout as I chose to do. But this is the one establishment you should not pass up if you want Thai food in northern Virginia. If I'm in the area again, I'll go back several times.

• Visited April 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“Inexpensive excellence”
Reviewed November 25, 2012

A great takeaway Thai restaurant that has a high variety, high quality menu. The satays are delicious, the curries, just right, and the soups perfectly flavored. Don't forget to finish with mango sticky rice.

• Visited November 2012
Ava
“Reasonably priced, true Thai recipes”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Great location, prices were great (check on their Happy Hour prices), and everything we tried from their varied menu was fantastic. Food tasted very fresh and authentic Thai.

Visited August 2012