“A Little Piece of New Zealand Despite French Name”
Review of Cassatt's Cafe & Gallery - CLOSED

Cassatt's Cafe & Gallery
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed March 24, 2016

I will forever be grateful to Cassatt's for introducing me to the Flat White, strong coffee with a thick layer of creaminess on top, better than the ubiquitous cappuccino. Cassatts is the type of quirky neighborhood place that is creative and delicious, with something a little different. Slightly pricey, but not ridiculously so, and they run a lot of specials. They also have live music sometimes (check the web site). The lamb, if you like lamb, is tender and flavorful. The savory pies, and the amazing pavlova dessert (meringue, fruit, whipped cream, how can you go wrong with that combination?) are real treats. The name is confusing as you would suspect a French cafe, but the food brings the flavors of New Zealand to Arlington.

Date of visit: March 2016

Reviewed March 20, 2016

Saturday Brunch was a major disappointment. Service: basically non-existent; server and hostess were huddled by coffee machine with backs to the cafe busy working the Post Crossword puzzle and not watching the door or tables. Coffee: latte and capp were served cold because they sat while the French press was brewing. Pastry Basket: stale muffins were served (would not have ordered if the server had told us they were out of usual croissants / pastries). Food: French toast was burnt; poached eggs were served hard (not runny); toast was cold and hard (thought I'd break a tooth). Just a really bad experience.

Date of visit: March 2016
1  Thank adventuregirl62
Reviewed January 3, 2016

Today I had the spinach and feta fritatta; in the past I've had the burger with egg, the beet salad, probably about half the menu. Even when there's a wait, it's always well worth it. Service is good and attentive.

Date of visit: January 2016
Reviewed October 10, 2015 via mobile

Ok I have lived here forever and had never been. I'm an idiot. This restaurant offers a delicious, creative menu with big servings and superb presentation. And on a Saturday night had a talented - low key/not at all distracting blues/jazz band that added to the warm lighting to make it a great place to catch up with a friend.
Our appetizer was a big serving - could have easily fed 4. crisp on the outside and squishy on the inside toast rounds with three spreads / Pesto, mango chutney and an olive tapenade.
Beer and wine list creative.
Main courses very very good. I chose a special burger of the house with a fried egg on an incredible brioche bun. It was huge. The side salad option was great but they had two other side options too. Really hands down one of the tastiest burgers I have had this year. The meat was tasty and falling apart which tells me it was either ground there or at least included some special ingredients.
Finally we split a sour cream chocolate cake slab that was huge and dense - heavy - seemed like a flourless recipe. So rich. Easily split by two.
I always think a restaurant is superb if - as I waddle to my car- people are laughing, every plate is licked clean, and I'm already thinking - when can I go back.
Go go go. They are also well known for the brunches.
Art for sale on the walls too.

Date of visit: October 2015
Reviewed September 30, 2015

I reviewed this restaurant a number of months ago, but wanted to provide an update. It remains as great as ever - very good food (I love the salads, and the optional grilled tilapia or grilled chicken is a nice addition), very friendly and efficient staff, reasonably priced.

There are some nice New Zealand options on the menu. The coffee is great and if you have never tried one, a flat white is a flavorful coffee drink (my wife loves it, I usually have a decaf Americano, which is much better than what Starbucks serves).

Free music on Saturday nights, some outdoor seating, too. We usually sit at the counter (about 5 or 6 seats) so we can chat with the staff, who are very attentive.

Date of visit: September 2015