“Rude service and bad food”
Review of China Garden Restaurant - CLOSED

China Garden Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We went with a tour and was brought to this restaurant for dinner. It was a set menu ordered ahead of time. The waiter said we can imagine those are the most expensive type of dish when we asked the content and name of the soup. He never respond to any of our questions. The food are small portion, cooked with cheap ingredient with a lot of MSG. Fortunately, they gave us one big bowl of rice and we don't have to be hungry.

1  Thank W C

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Only come here once or twice a year for many years, and while the wait staff can sometimes be curt, today the waiter even greeted us by asking if we needed our parking validated and then went and did it for us (there is a sign as you enter saying validation is at the bar)! We proceeded to have an array of dim sum which was all hot (my personal favorites were stuffed eggplant, duck, lo bok go (turnip cake), cha siu Canonese chow mein (you have to order), taro stuffed with meat (looks 'hairy'), steamed (baby) clams, sticky rice and meat in lotus leaf, and jin duey (fried sweet paste filled sesame balls...a dessert). We also had bo nay tea and a bowl of white rice to absorb all the sauces.

We have a lot of experience eating dim sum in DC, NYC and SF (as well as Vancouver) and this is good. Not the best I've ever had but sometimes okay is fine and it is the variety that is important. Service was fine; carts coming to our table had steam rising from them and servers were able to describe in English what they had. A few struggled a little (with the English) but when I asked by the Chinese name, they would smile and nod. I didn't see any bugs/insects as some reviewers have reported though there were some spots on the wall paper.

They open for dim sum on Sun at 11:30 which is when we got there and we were seated almost immediately. It is a huge restaurant on the second floor of an office building. After 5:30p and on weekends there is free validated parking under the building. Tab came to $15-$20 per person (we ordered the chow mein and rice, which boosted the price; we did bring a few things home for leftovers; there were two young men [big eaters] in our group of 5).

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I have a wedding booked for next year with this restaurant and I am extremely upset and angry with how I am treated. For those who may possibly be looking for a venue to have your reception, look elsewhere. I had no choice due to family request, but if I wasn't forced to go with this place I wouldn't! The only things that this place has going for it is that it's good is decent compared to other Chinese restaurants in the NOVA area. It also looks bit better than other Chinese restaurants. It's service is EXTREMELY HORRIBLE! I had been yelled at by a lady there for her mistake when I had asked to come in to survey the restaurant with my decorators. She had told me that there wasn't a wedding going on when there was. When I got there, I didn't want to enter because it was rude! I would not want to have random people coming to my wedding! When booking with this restaurant, it is important to keep in mind that you must have 450 guests in order to book the whole place. They still use the restaurant for their regular customers if you have less than that number. Well, I am planning to have that number, meaning I will be paying about $20,000 to book the whole restaurant. Even though I am shelling out all that money, they are still greedy! They will not let me set up until 4:00pm the day of, when my reception starts at 6:00pm! Two hours is not enough time! When I asked the manager/owner, Peter Tran, if I would be able to come in the day before to set up, he told me that I would only be able to come in at 2:00pm, but must leave at 5:00pm. Three hours is still not enough, especially for ceiling decor! I politely asked if we could continue after dining hours and a little pass closing. He rudely told me that no one would be there or want to stay until I finished. I am freaking paying 20k! That is more than they would make in a year on regular dining folks alone! He continuously cut me off while I was trying to explain things to him, telling me that he had customers too! I told him that he had to keep in mind that I am also a customer. He blew off that fact and continued to tell me to get my planning straight and that he could not promise me anything since the wedding is too far in advance. It is 6 months away! If it was too far in advance, then why rush people to book over a year in advance?! This restaurant is ridiculous! BRIDES, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! If you do not want this kind of stress, stay away!!!! Leaving you with some other minor notes, the restaurant is filth. Windows are dirty, Curtains are dusty. They still hang wilted plants around. Their serving plates do not match (I have those plates in my own kitchen).

3  Thank KaFaye
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The China Garden Restaurant is located near the Residence Inn where we were staying. It is a huge Chinese restaurant on the second floor of an office building. Huge selection of different dishes. Dim Sum seemed to be the specialty with the carts always coming by the table. We ordered three different dishes and none of them were memorable.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

The iconic, formerly named USA Today Building, in Rosslyn hosts the news studio for local channel 7. On the second floor is a spacious and wonderful authentic Chinese restaurant. This restaurant is equipped to handle large groups. The tables have a rotating "lazy Susan" which encourages group sharing. The menu is enormous and includes quite a few unique items as well as well known ones. Hot and sour soup comes with that signature "kick" it is known for. I had a simple dish of absolutely perfectly sauteed squid with a large assortment of crunchy celery, carrots, and other fresh vegetables. Especially appreciated is their willingness and ability to handle large groups...there were 18 of us and we all had separate checks with no problem. The dessert they offer-- a friend banana is very tasty. Highly recommended and it is mere steps from Rosslyn metro or the Rosslyn hotels.