“Little piece of Italy, big piece of Good!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portofino Restaurant

Portofino Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Portofino Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #66 of 870 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Welcome to fine dining in Crystal City! The Portofino Restaurant was opened in 1970 as a family owned and operated Italian restaurant. They brought to Crystal City, fine Northern Italian Cuisine. Through the next three decades, Sergio and his wife Pilar welcomed thousands of guests to their award-winning restaurant. In 1993, three generations of Micheli chefs joined forces as their son Richard, a recent graduate of the famed Culinary Institute of America, began his work at the Portofino
“Little piece of Italy, big piece of Good!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

Was staying in Crystal City, and had three other business associates that were hungry and wanted a good place to walk to. We stumbled on Portofino, and let me tell you, it was destiny. Great little place with true Italian waiters, chefs, and service. The veal shank was OUTSTANDING, and the family specialty was a seafood fettuccine.... my mouth is still watering, and that was 3 days ago. There is no view, but then again, what's to look at in Crystal City. Great wine list.

Plattsburgh, New York
“Very good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We are on vacation and staying in Crystal City. We came upon Portofino and so happy we did. Wonderful atmosphere, nice music, incredible and friendly service. Excellent Lasagna, and Eggplant. Everything tasted fresh, nice sized portions and very reasonable. During our dinner the Chef came out of the kitchen checking n patrons it was a nice touch. Will recommend highly and visit again. Thank you Porofino.

Virginia
“Good & Old Mixed in with New”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

This restaurant is a genuine oldie but goodie, tucked in behind miles of high rises and fast-paced traffic. But, it boasts it's own parking lot, and its quite roomy inside with plenty of friendly waiters around. The chef even came out to greet his customers. I ordered Veal Marsala, called Scaloppine Al Marsala, and loved every richly-flavored bite. Their Caesar salad was good and although I asked for no croutons I found one hiding in there anyway. My only hesitation is that the bread served with dinner was beyond crusty; it was downright dry and nearly inedible.

1 Thank Wewah
RoswellNascar, Owner at Portofino Restaurant, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your prompt review of our restaurant. We are very proud of our service, and I am glad to see that you also noticed our dedication, ie. "the chef even came out", "friendly waiters". Also, I wish that you would have mentioned the bread to our staff, we could have warmed it up for your table or cut a fresh loaf for you. In the future please let us know if their is anything that we can do to make your dining experience better. Thanks again, Rich
Columbia, Missouri
“Great Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had a great dinner here. Staying at the Mariott down the street, and thought I would take a chance. Had the Chef's seafood combo, with plump shrimp, lobster, mushrooms, and marvelous scallops in a (bit too thin sauce) and great Il Ducale Ruffino Chianti. The service was impeccable. Manager and wait staff attentive and personable. Nearly filled up with patrons by the time I left (I was the first one in the place at 5:30). Great neighborhood place . Don't be misled by the negative reviews. This place is worth a try.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank DeanJ
RoswellNascar, Owner at Portofino Restaurant, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review so promptly. We pride ourselves on our service and attention to detail. So your suggestion, bit too thin sauce, will be passed on and reviewed. We hope to see you when you come back into town.
North Carolina
“Great local Italian for more than 40 years”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

My friend and I asked our hotel staff for a dinner recommendation for an Italian restaurant. We were directed for Portofino which was just about 3 blocks from our hotel. We were a little nervous from the outside of the building. The entry was from the rear, and we went past barred windows to get there. We really didn't know what to expect once inside. What we found was a cozy restaurant with a great menu and fantastic service. There were several specials offered for the night as well as a large and varied menu. I went with the soup special ( white bean with chorizo and toasted almond slivers) and the pollo Portofino- a chicken breast with prosciutto and spinach in a white wine sauce. Both were very tasty. My only regret was not saving room for dessert. I would definitely recommend it and will return if in the area.

• Visited February 2013