“The best”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Annandale, VA
“The best”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you are looking for the best Peruvian chicken in the area, look no further. I work in DC, but we go to Ballston every few weeks to get their chicken. Sides include steak fries and cole slaw, both excellent. If I could eat here every day, I probably would.

• Visited February 2013

“The ne plus ultra rotisserie chicken”
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Absolutely the best Peruvian grilled chicken in the area! It's the standard against which I judge all others - and not many even come close. A lovely complex marinade, perfect rotisserie over charcoal, good fries. Not fancy, just a take-out or eat-in at formica tables, but the flavor!

Visited February 2013
Singapore, Singapore
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,099 helpful votes
“Very satisfying meal”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

The Peruvian roast chicken is extremely flavourful and exceptionally good value. This place attracts customers from all walks of life.

Suburban MD
“Amazing Peruvian Grilled Chicken at a Great Price”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

This restaurant (and its other branches) has been an institution in our area. They have the best Peruvian Grilled Chicken in the Metro area and I should know because I have tried many of the competitors. They also have an super price for the amount and quality of food. In Arlington, they only serve grilled chicken with two sides (french fried and cole slaw) but it is out of this world. People from the entire area come there for lunch and take out and I often pick up take out dinner to take home. Absolutely great place at a great price.

Visited December 2012
Hillsdale, New York
“It isn't just a good value!”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

For nearly 20 years, El Pollo Rico has been a favorite. I was initially turned on to the place by Phyllis Richman's "top 50 cheap eats" from the Washington Post, and then by a friend who finally got me to go. He pointed out some things that have stuck with me over the years.

Those who patron the place are like a United Nations of people, but the BEST of the United Nations. Many are South Americans (it IS Peruvian chicken place!). They are a beautiful people, rich in culture. There are Chinese Americans, black, white... blue and white collar. There are old, young... people with kids and even grandkids. The parking lot has work trucks, BMWs and even a Honda like mine. I even saw a limo drive up as I was leaving.

But this would mean nothing if the chicken wasn't heavenly. I don't know what they do to draw out so much flavor. It helps with the jalapeno & yellow-hot mustard dipping sauces. The old-time stake cut fries are the perfect way to get every last bit. NO ketchup for the purist here; it would just be evil. Add some coleslaw and an Inca cola, and the magic begins.

I look around me and see men using their forks; but they are with women or family. Then you see the men like me... solo, and they come with clean hands because they know they will be eating with their fingers. And it WILL be a mess, a lovely mess.

I was told that they can easily sell 3,000 chickens in a day. Sometimes on Saturdays, the line will go out of the door (oh... this place was retro-fitted into a convenience store I think. Nothing fancy, but that IS part of it). Price is really low, but don't let that fool you. My thanks to all that work at this store, and I offer a tribute to the years of great work. Thank you, thank you, thank you. YOU are a big part of the reason I return to the D.C. Metro area.

• Visited December 2012