“A gem of a restaurant”

Dining options: Reservations
Fairfax, Virginia
“A gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I dined at Rus-Uz this weekend with a group of 10. Four of us shared several dishes (3 appetizers and 3 entrees) and were not disappointed in any of them. The stroganoff is not the stroganoff you usually get at American restaurants, and is much better. We tried the plov just because it sounded interesting and again loved it. Portions are not overwhelming but definitely on the large side (a bit more than one can comfortably eat).

As of the time I'm writing this review they don't yet have their liquor license, but they're applying for it. They have plenty of non-alcoholic beverages -- I had the homemade apricot juice (with peach and cherries, I think) and it was delicious, not the sickeningly sweet juice you get at a lot of places.

Save room for dessert, if you can. The dessert portions are also not small but oh so worth it.

Our waiter was wonderful. He kept the water refilled before we asked for refills, and really knew the menu (he was able to tell us they were out of a couple things before he placed our order). He brought the food out in stages, partially because of the size of our group, but nobody was kept waiting more than a couple minutes.

I'll definitely be back for more.

• Visited May 2013

Springfield
“Great restaurant !”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We have visited Washington DC for the first time and were looking for Russian restaurant ( I am from Russia). I am so glad we found Rus Uz. We ended up eating there every dinner during our 6 days stay. The food was very tasty. Big portions. Very nice atmosphere: you can come with friends and have a conversation without the loud music. Nice decor reflecting Russian/Uzbek culture but no clutter. Very clean pleasant table settings. It is family owned and they sure take pride in their food. This is not a "fast food place", so give yourself some time and enjoy the experience. If you are in a hurry, you better order To Go. You will not regret. We have tried various dishes, and all were delicious. Entrees come with salads and/or vegetables which are fresh or steamed. And leave yourself some room for dessert. My favorite was Kievskiy cake. We will miss you guys and wish you best of luck!

1 Thank blueberry75
Arlington, Virginia
“The Real Deal”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I just visited RusUz for the first time and I know that I will go back again and again. Having spent several years in the former Soviet Union, this place was a real pleasant surprise and complete revelation. The plov was as good as I've ever had and my wife thoroughly enjoyed her lagmon. Next time we will have to sample the Russian dishes, but based on the strength of the Central Asian dishes, I can only imagine that they are equally delicious. Another sound endorsement of this place is that there was a large Central Asian and Russian contingent enjoying dinner. The service still has some kinks to work out, but otherwise this place nailed it.

1 Thank RPH80
Alexandria, Virginia
“Delicious Shashlyk”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Having been a waitress during my college years, I know one of the worst customer drink order requests is hot tea. And usually it is lukewarm water, a bag of Lipton, and coffee-flavored infused water from the machine. Not the case at Rus Uz! Tea is king here (at least until they get their liquor license) and is done RIGHT. The tea pot - in itself is a work of art - is filled with loose leaf tea and is steeped perfectly. All of this before we even ordered appetizers.

We had meat Piroshki as an appetizer (but think we actually got the Chebureki by accident). Never the less, it was fresh and delicious. Consider the Shashlyk (meat kebab) when looking at the main courses on the menue - the meat was tender and spiced just right. My husband (having spent some time in Uzbekistan) swore he had been transplanted back to the capital city, Tashkent, while eating the accompanying tomato-cucumber salad and lightly boiled vegetables. Although we didn't try it, others raved about the Plov. All and all, it was an excellent meal! We can't wait to go back!

Tip: Even though the address is on Randolph, the entrance is on Fairfax Dr, next to a frame-up shop.

Arlington, Virginia
“A real treasure”
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Having worked our way through a portion of the appetizers and the main courses after a half-dozen visits, we can say with assurance that this place is a keeper !! The caviar tart, the pirozhki, the samsa, and especially the fried chebureki will not disappoint ! Today's smoked fish platter (shared) could have served as our lunch... But we couldn't resist ordering the pelmini and the plov, two favorites...! Last week I had the shashlik (lamb kebob) for the first time and the meat was tender, juicy, well seasoned, and cooked to perfection. The kompot, a juice drink with dried and fresh fruits is sweet, but tasty. Can't wait for them to get their liquor license, but it's not too big a drawback. Haven't yet had room for dessert, so we have to keep going back to get a sense of this part of the repertoire. The borsch is full of authentic flavor! But most of all, the service is attentive and kind, especially for my disabled spouse. Some rough edges have been honed, the decor is more finished, and it's a delight to see things coming together. Friday nights are busy, so call to make a reservation (see the web site with catering details) but be prepared to have a great experience...

Visited April 2013