“Good sashimi”
Review of Bonsai Grill - CLOSED

Bonsai Grill
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The servers were very helpful and the sashimi was very good. Pretty convenient location near tons of other restaurants.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

My husband and I eat sushi on a regular basis, so I think we have enough experience to work from. On first impression, the bonsai seemed to be a quiet, average sushi place. But, if you are a real sushi lover, (not just an "oh, I love sushi! I eat California rolls" kinda person), then please stop in and give this place a go! We sat at the sushi bar and were lucky enough to experience the sushi chefs undivided attention. Wow. We experienced sushi I have never had, and I am now humbled by my sushi inexperience! Lots of fresh catch of the day, interesting sushi dishes (steamed monkfish liver??? Amazing!) and his presentation is simple, clean and elegant. The wait staff was wonderful! What a great find!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Us and another couple decided to have sushi and try this somewhat new location in Shirlington. Bonsai Grill ended up being so-so. First, it is a very small restaurant and when you walk in, you're right in the seating area. The hostess area is located in the back by the sushi counter, so at first no one was there to great us. We were confused at first if we had even entered through the right door. Since this is a first review, I will note that the decor is very simple and 'traditional' in the sense of generic Japanese sushi restaurant. Nothing romantic or special about the interior, despite its prime location.

Once we were seated things went quickly and smoothly. We shared a sushi sashimi combo, which was heavy on sashimi but light on sushi (I love sushi, so I would prefer more of that than sashimi). The other couple had smaller sashimi plates. All meals came with a house salad, which uses a peanut sauce not a ginger sauce. It was good. From our perspective, the fish was only so-so, however. It was somewhat thickly cut, tough and not very tasty. We were underwhelmed. The other couple liked theirs, but we agreed that if we had a repeat performance again we would not return to Bonsai Grill a third time.