“Overall - a cool place - tea is high quality”
Review of House of Steep

House of Steep
Ranked #4 of 36 Shopping in Arlington
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My review is limited because I only went for an hour on a Wednesday night. There was no-one else present (we closed the place). My friends and I were planning some volunteer work, and really should not have used the place for this "meeting" - but then my friends are a bit loud so I tried to be quiet. They really encourage you not to have cell phones on - just to use it to relax. All I can speak for is that the staff were very friendly, the food my friends ordered was yum, and that I purchased some of their signature earl grey tea with bergamot. Brought it home and for $6 that supposedly makes 18 servings (what they say equates to the 1oz bag), I found the tea very aromatic and ground fine enough that I could get multiple cups out of one tea-ball. Therefore, this review should encourage you that if you like tea, the quality of their teas is top-notch. I'll have to come back for a foot soak when it's not the weekend and not crowded.

2  Thank mj_2fl

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Found the concept of a foot soaking venue to be really interesting, so I had to try it. The staff was very warm, welcoming and attentive. I was greeted when I came in and offered a menu - of food and for foot soaking. I decided not to decide!! My friend and I ordered lunch and were very happy with the quality and quantity. It's not a huge hearty meal, it's light and healthy fair. If you want more than that, please go for the yummy salty oatmeal and dark chocolate cookie. I loved it's odd, yet somehow alluring texture! I didn't even realize it was gluten free until I threw away the wrapper!
My friend had tea, which she enjoyed and I had cocoa, which was rich, not scalding and clearly made with loving care. This is not a fast-food joint. You will not get your food in two minutes or less -but I think the reason is that someone is preparing it fresh, just for you.

Also had a foot soak! The staff member that helped me was so kind. She filled the bowls with warm water twice while I relaxed. It was hard to stop my mind from racing with thoughts of what I needed to do all day, but the clean and warm foot bath helped me unwind a bit.
Have fun - this is a cute place and I can see myself going back often - it's a nice place to meet friends.

3  Thank LKB30242
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had high hopes for House of Steep based on positive reviews on Yelp (and because Cherrydale could really use a good Asian tea place), but I was very disappointed by the quality of the food and the general disorganization of the staff.

The rice bows are essentially rice with some defrosted frozen vegetables and a dollop of sauce. If you get tofu on top, it is just small cubes of diced raw tofu. It's something that any college student with a ricemaker could throw together in five minutes (i.e. not restaurant quality). In addition, they messed up our order (one had the wrong sauce and was missing tofu), and the food took so long to one out that we didn't bother to send it back.

The tea was fine, so I'd you're just coming for tea and not food, then you might be okay.

Also, the foot bath section area is an odd looking area that's curtained off from the main restaurant seating area (not a separate room). You can see though gaps in the curtain when you stand at the register or when you sit at some of the tables. This isn't necessarily a problem, but I'm not sure I like the atmospherics of eating in essentially the same room as foot bathing.

1  Thank M D
Karen G, Manager at House of Steep, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to offer us feedback.  We are just shy of being a six month old start up and learning/growing are part of our process, whether we get it right the first time or not.  We sincerely appreciate the growth opportunity you've presented us.  While we do have a very limited kitchen in our Tea House and Foot Sanctuary, we try to offer light, healthy fare to accompany the tea and relaxation experience we are extending to our customers.  Other options you could try are some of our homemade soups, salads and wraps, or some of the baked goods from local, small business partners, all of which have received consistently strong feedback.  We sincerely apologize for the staff seeming scattered; we are working on employee training and on ensuring every customer feels relaxed and at peace during their time with us.  We'd like to invite you back for a free pot of tea and a chance at a more healing and overall positive experience.

Been to House of Steep? Share your experiences!