The Curious Grape
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: The Curious Grape is located directly opposite the Shirlington bus terminal on South Quincy Street in Arlington, Virginia.
Description: The destination spot in Shirlington for those with a passion for food and wine, the Curious Grape offers a contemporary seasonal menu of American fare with locally sourced ingredients. Enjoy either full or half portions of selected menu items as well as over 400 wines and 100 craft beers from our store.
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Tried this restaurant due to the reviews on Trip Advisor, and was not disappointed. Just up the block from the crowded Carlyle Grand Cafe, found this a quiet oasis of good food and good wine. Particularly enjoyed that they offer small and full portions of many dishes and wines, which were not really that small, adequate for most of us. The menu recommends wine pairings with each dish, which is a nice touch. Everyone enjoyed the meal, the person who had the scallops rated them 3/5, the bronzino and chicken were quite good. Since it was rather empty, service was prompt, maybe to the point of a bit intrusive with frequent "check ins" by staff. Will be back and hope to try some of the great sounding deserts next time.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

The ambience is trendy, hip, loud yet quiet areas.
The food is excellent...especially the stuffed squash blossoms.
The service was fabulous as we were seated by the owners who often checked in...the attentive service was definitely deserving of 5 stars.
The wine is served in 2sizes, which is perfect, so you can get a half glass of one and half glass of another, for the same price as a whole glass.. I loved this option!
The desserts were also very good- save room for dessert, even just to taste.
We will definitely be back for more of the food and wine menu

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Altho i had shopped at the wine store years ago, this was my first dining experience at the Grape's swank new space, and it will definitely not be the last. Two friends and I had Sunday brunch last weekend and had an absolutely wonderful experience. The food (salmon eggs Benedict, breakfast BLT, and cheese plate) was delicious, and our server was attentive, informative and helpful. The owner even helped us select a fabulous Cabernet to take home. So excited to hear they are expanding lunch service - we are already planning our next trip.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

I wish there was not just a 0 star but a 4 thumbs down. I went there with friends for a low key dinner for a friends birthday. It was absolutely AWFUL from beginning to end. It took about an hour and 40 minutes to only get a main dish and not get served the wine we ordered or even a refill of water. Not only did I have to flag down a manager who was refilling other tables' water, but since our glasses went empty and no one had come back since they took our order, I had to go up to the bar and get a bottle of water myself.

That is on top of not even being waited on for drinks or dinner for about 20 minutes and the place wasn't even busy yet. Then our wine never came and I cancelled it at that point., with a manager walking by not even the waiter. The manager seemed disinterested and didn't even try and ask how to resolve or what the issue was. Then we had a manger come by who was walking by the tables and apologize for the delay. Their computers were down earlier but that story didn't seem to fit how it was affecting us since we ordered only one thing each a total of 3 orders and the computers were up. Even if they weren't, kitchens have run on paper tickets. regardless.

I stated that did not excuse the waiter from not bringing our drinks or even checking on us at all, which he had not done. It did not excuse having to flag down a manager who was pouring water for other tables. It did not excuse having to go and get water at the bar. And did not excuse the lateness of getting only one food item a piece.

She apologized and asked what could she do and she offered nothing. She stated that there were 3 mangers on duty, but I feel that they don't even know how to manage (not 1 out of the 3) or support their staff if they couldn't help with the tables and ensure service rather thanjust piss poor apologies.

Lastly, we had to ask a manager for our checks, who once again did not follow through and we had to wait 20 minutes to get a correct check, well not even correct. We had to ask for the check again to another server, and eventually the waiter brought over the check, which was not split as we asked. Then that seemed to be too much to handle. We had to wait for at least 15 minutes for it to be split and even then the check were incorrect, since they offered a 25% discount and we did not receive it.

Nonetheless, this place was WAY UNDER PAR. The food was underwhelming, there service I need not comment on and overall it was very distracting to try and have an enjoyable birthday dinner for a friend when constantly having to ask for basics and even just trying to leave. I will NEVER come here again and I know lots of people in Shirlington and Meetup groups who have patronized here and I will VEHEMENTLY let them know that they should take their business to CHEESETIQUE-THEY ARE EXPONENTIALLY BETTER.

I WILL NEVER RECOMMEND OR COME HERE AGAIN, and after waiting 20 minutes to get an incorrect check I don't think we hsould've even had to pay for any of this horrible experience.

2  Thank Elsa P
Reviewed August 2, 2013

This was our second time here; we'd liked it a lot the first time (this past winter). Because there was so much summer bounty on the menu, we went with appetizers and a half-plate, rather than a cheese tray (that we'd had the first time, which was really, really good). We ordered one of the specials for an appetizer: cheddar polenta, which had a soft egg in the middle and bits of truffle as garnish. This was SO good; could have easily had another one (spouse and I shared this). Then we loved the fried tomatoes appetizer, which certainly could have been habit-forming. My husband loved his gazpacho, too. Then our entrees arrived; he liked his salmon plate; I loved my half-plate of bronzini, which was stupendous. THEN we had a delicious dessert--the key lime pie, which was beautifully presented. The service staff was excellent. The wine choices are terrific, and we love that in addition to many glasses available, there are also half-glasses, and all at a reasonable price. They have a nice wine store here also, and cheese and other stuff available for purchase, too. This is one of the TOP spots to eat a very nice upscale meal in northern Virginia.