“The Staff saved the visit”

Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
New York
“The Staff saved the visit”
Reviewed June 28, 2007

We stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at Courthouse Plaza from June 22nd thru June 25th 2007. We arrived around 10pm on 06/22 and had reserved a room with two queen beds, but when we arrived none were available. Instead they gave us a room with a King bed and a rollaway, which my kids who are 7yrs and 4yrs old slept on. They promised to have a different room the next day but weren't overly optimistic.

The next morning before leaving to sightsee for the day, we stopped at the front desk to remind them of the room change. A different front desk crew was working and they were unaware of any room change and again weren't overly optimistic that it would happen.

We returned to the hotel 10 hours later ready to do battle with the front desk. The same crew who checked us in the night before were on duty. To our surprise, when we approached them they rememeberd us and our situation and handed us a key to a room with two queen beds.

That event turned a potentially disastrous hotel stay into a pleasant one.

The rooms were larger than expected and the building was clean and well maintained. The hotel is minutes from the Metro and five stops from DC. Their are several restaurants within a few blocks of the hotel (COSI was good for breakfast)

Room rates were reasonable for this time of year and I look forward to staying there again in the future.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Slav0725

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Maryland
Reviewed June 24, 2007

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington, VA (Courthouse Plaza) in June 2007. It is about 5 minutes walking distance from the Courthouse Metro Station. Parking is $10 per day (24 hours) and it is under the hotel and very secured. I took opportunity of the hotel parking and using the nearby metro when I stayed for the weekend (Fri to Sun).
The front desk staff is very pleasant and very helpful.
When I checked into the hotel, I received a complimentary 2 bottles of water, which came in very handy for me as I knew I was going to be in the hot sun for most of the weekend. I was also offered cookies as well (free).
The room I stayed in was very clean and spacious. I did enjoy the buffet breakfast they had in the restaurant. It is $12.95, but it is worth every penny as you get eggs, sausage, bacon, french toast, pancakes, fruit, juices (orange, grape, apple...), cereal, milk, danish, toast, coffee, tea to name a few things. There was also an area near the front desk that you can purchase a few things to snack on (came in handy when things were closed).
Nearby the hotel is a little deli that sells snacks and sandwiches among other things. The hotel is also near the AMC Courthouse movie theatre as well (right next to the metro).
The only negtive thing that I experienced at this hotel is that the water in the shower collected and didn't go down very quickly. I didn't really report it because it was so minor.
Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel and will stay there again in the future.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
5 Thank layedi
San Diego
Reviewed June 23, 2007

We really enjoyed a 5 day stay at this Hilton Garden Inn. It was newish, beautiful inside, and very quiet and comfortable. It's located in an interesting area, with some good restaurants and other shops within walking distance. The metro was also within walking distance, although I would have liked it a bit closer. Nevertheless, it was VERY convenient.

Hotel clerks and other staff were very nice, and helpful. The breakfast was terrific, with outstanding fresh fruit. Nice Fitness Center. We would DEFINITELY stay there again.

Stayed June 2007
california
Reviewed June 21, 2007

I had a late flight scheduled to arrive at DC at midnight, so I had made a reservation guaranteeing a late arrival. My HHonors VIP profile already had non-smoking specified.

When I arrived at the hotel, there was no manager on duty, and one staff person put me in a smoking room instead. They had given my non-smoking room to another guest even though my reservation had a late arrival guarantee. Their comment was that your arrival after midnight is considered a no-show and that you should feel lucky to get a room.

The hotel is located in a very convenient area, but I would never return to this hotel.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rude management
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank frequent_traveler07
Jersey Shore
Reviewed May 28, 2007

Our family of four stayed here for three nights in April. Hotels in DC were either booked up or too expensive. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

I requested a two queen room with a rollaway. When we arrived the person checking us in said that a rollaway wouldn't fit in a two queen. The other person (I'm sorry I didn't get her name - a very personable, helpful young woman (note to management: she's a keeper!)) at the desk said if they switched us to a certain room they could fit the rollaway and we were all set. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable. The area was quiet, very little street noise. On-site self-parking was available.

We took took the Metro into DC two days. It was a five minute walk from the hotel to the Metro and only a few stops into the city. The hotel is in the courthouse area and is kind of deserted at night - we ate at an unimpressive sports bar up the street. There were some other restaurants around, but it's not a big area for nightlife from what I could see.

• Liked — Size of room, convenience to DC
  • Disliked — The day our room wasn't made up until late.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
Windsor, CT
Reviewed May 10, 2007

Hilton Garden Courthouse Plaza has to be one of the best chain hotels I have ever stayed in. Everything was perfect from check in to
checkout. First the location diagonally opposite from the exit of the
Courthouse Metro stop. What could be more convenient? In 10 to
15 minutes you can be anywhere in the area of Washington that tourists would be interested in. Check in was a breeze, very professionally handled and friendly. Although we did not use it, the
lobby was very attractive and welcoming. Elevators were obviously
well maintained, and we rarely had to wait more than a few seconds
to get one. Our room, a minimum rate standard King was perfect.
It was well furnished, spacious, and meticulously clean. The bath,
too, was spacious, well maintained, well lighted and thoroughly
cleaned every day we were there. It was well supplied with Neutragena cosmetics which housekeeping resupplied frequently.
At $119 per night that room was the best bargain in Metro
Washington, where anything halfway respectable was over $200.
As other reviewers have said, the restaurant was kind of pricey for
what it was, especially at breakfast, which was mediocre. We did
have a very nice fruit plate on our first night there, when we had
indigestion from a very bad lunch at the Union Station food court,
and were too tired from our trip to Washington to go looking for a
restaurant. On another night we had a quite good meal in an
Italian restaurant in the Courthouse Plaza open mall. Checkout
was a total breeze. Our bill was was slipped under our door on
departure morning and all we had to do was hit a zip button on the room phone to confirm to the friendly person who took the call
that the bill was OK, and we were on our way. What else can I say about this excellent hotel? I would recommend it to anyone
who was visiting Washington. You get a great hotel near con-
venient transportation for half the price of any decent hotel in the city. Also, if it is a possibility, I would going to Washington on Amtrak. I have made this drive many times, but this trip on the train was far easier.

• Liked — Well furnished, well maintained meticulously clean room at a reasonable price and great location.
  • Disliked — Nothing important enough to mention
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovetostayeat
NC
Reviewed May 6, 2007

This hotel was perfect for me & my family - first of all, great room (very clean, clean bathroom, free internet, microwave, fridge, washable fresh comforter & comfortable bed). The hotel itself was all about convenience & courtesy. Fresh baked cookies, fresh fruit (both free at the front desk), a little store open 24h by the desk. Walking distance to the Metro, walking distance to a bunch of cute restaurants (we ate at the Irish Pub, which was great). The fitness room was perfect, fresh towels, water, individual TVs, latest equipment. Really a pleasure to stay here, highly recommend.

• Liked — Loved everything
  • Disliked — $10/day to park, but it was ok.
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank sorcellerie