“This is a GREAT place to stay in the DC area”

Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza
Ranked #16 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
HOUSTON
“This is a GREAT place to stay in the DC area”
Reviewed July 4, 2009

This is a great place to stay! We stayed for 3 nights and were pleased with our accomodations. We drove to DC, so having the parking garage and then a nearby metro station was perfect for us. The location is wonderful. Easy short block to the Orange line Metro. All sites of interest were less than 20 to 30 minutes away by metro. I felt completely safe and there are many places to eat in the area. The hotel is located in a very nice area of Arlington.
The staff at the front desk were all warm and friendly. Our favorite was the "Yay!" "Woo Hoo" guy. He may come across as a little ascentric at first, but trust me, after 11 days traveling and staying in different hotels and experiencing some very indifferent and calous front desk personel, his enthusiam for his job put a smile on our face. We still are "yaying" in his honor. The smile is still on our face when we think of DC.
The rooms were clean and well appointed. I have yet to find a Hilton Garden Inn that does not have top quality rooms. The only tight space was the bathroom door opens into the toilet. The bathroom has plenty of room, but the opening of the door and the position of the toilet were not well thought out by the builders.
We purchased a breakfast plan with our reservation. We were pleased with the breakfast. Omelets to order, fresh fruit, various juices, pancakes, waffels, sausage, bacon, you name it. Excellent way to start the day. Usually never needed lunch since the breakfast was so hearty.
Compared to the prices of DC hotels, this was a good value. We have found that Queen size beds are not available in all hotels, so that made it even better. Traveling with teenages makes a queen size bed a necessity. I would highly recommend this hotel to any family traveling to DC for vacation.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Jacksonville, FL
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Hotel is on side street away from noise of commercial traffic. Rooms are adequate size for an urban hotel. Room was clean and the mini-refrig was welcome. Staff was courteous. Self-parking in underground garage is convenient and inexpensive by Washington standards -- $12/day.

Restaurants, movie theater, and metro to DC are all within easy walking distance.

Only criticism is wallpaper separating at seam in one part of room wall.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed June 5, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn over Memorial Day weekend. I checked many hotels before choosing this one. My concern was safety and access to the Metro. I was very pleased. The area was very safe day and night. It was a short walk to the Metro. Our room was on the street side and we did not find it too loud. The flushing of the toilets is loud but we laughed about it. It wasn't that bad. We found the service at the front desk to be great. The service at the restaraunt and lounge were terrific. Very polite and friendly. Everyone on staff will help you with getting around. The hotel was close to the DC area by Metro. The Metro is the best way to get around. It is very clean and safe.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
texas
Reviewed May 23, 2009

The staff was excellent. The location perfect. The rooms very nice and clean. All around a perfect place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
NC
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I stayed at the Courthouse HGI on April 24, 25 & 26. Had stayed there twice before with no problems. Unless the Palomar has a weekend special, this HGI is the best value near my daughter's apartment. On this recent stay, I prepaid on the Hilton website to get a great rate of $129/night plus room tax. I presented the documentation of prepayment April 24, and the HGI front desk said that my credit card had not been charged despite the prepayment notice from Hilton. (red flag) He then scanned my credit card and assured me I would get the same rate. Later I found the prepayment had been posted to my credit card April 17 for the entire stay plus taxes. Furthermore, HGI had charged my credit card an additional $400+ for the same stay. I called Hilton customer service and HGI credited the second charge to my account. No explanation or apology for my inconvenience, but I thought all was solved. Within a week HGI-Courthouse posts another charge of $180.10 to the same credit card. It appears to be parking ($12/night), another room charge, and room tax for the stay. The parking charges are legitimate, the rest is not. I emailed Hilton customer service rep with this information & my reference number, but never got a response. I called Hilton customer service yesterday and wait to hear. I have never had this happen before and will probably steer clear of HGI in Arlington, anyway. If I had not carefully looked over my credit card bill, I might not have noticed. I really feel Hilton owes me an apology for making me spend this much time straightening out their mistake. I will post when we get this resolved.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2009

I stayed here for two nights while sightseeing in DC. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the common areas were nice. We had a small issue at check-in but it was resolved without incident and the staff was very accommodating. The hotel is located across the street from a Metro station, which makes commuting into the city very easy. We ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel once and it was around $25. The area around the hotel is also very nice; we actually opted to stay around Arlington one night for dinner and drinks and had a great time. The price of rooms was more that I usually pay, but I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled with friends
Okemos, MI
Reviewed April 26, 2009

We paid close to $300 a night and expected a Hilton, not a Marriott. The rooms were on the small size; the air conditioning was noisy (and the thermostat didn't quite work); the toilet was LOUD when it flushed; breakfasts were so-so; the wallpaper, bathroom etc. were in need of update.

On the positive side, the staff was helpful and friendly; the bed was pretty comfortable; and because we chose a room at the back, street noise was low. We chose this hotel because it was five minutes from family we were visiting, but having done research into the Suites Hotel down the street, I think we'll try that next time: less expensive and in better condition.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple