“nice room, bad hotel restaurant”

Hilton Garden Inn Arlington Courthouse Plaza
Ranked #17 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
germany
“nice room, bad hotel restaurant”
Reviewed September 12, 2008

We stayed just one night in this hotel over the weekend and met with friends (couple with baby).

The area was very quiet on a Saturday/ Sunday, but also felt very safe.

We got there at around 5.30 pm and the room was ready for us. Our friends had gotten there earlier in the day, because they were traveling with the baby. My friend had asked about early check in and was told she would be able to get her room at around 1 pm instead of 3, but it turned out to be 3:30 in the end. Not so great with a baby.

The rooms are pretty much the same, one king size bed, a desk, a tv, a closet, a few drawers, a fridge, a comfy chair. Quite spacious, but the ceiling was pretty low. If you like a bit of space up also, this might not be your place.

A weird sign on the bed announced that they had cleaned underneath the bed also, with signatures on it. That was very nice, unfortunately they hadn't checked under the comfy chair. There was a small round ball sort of thing which looked like from the kitty litter box or something, so I placed their sign there instead. I didn't lift the armchair to look under it, it was very visible.

The subway station is just one block away and it gets you right into Washington, DC or you can switch lines to get to Pentagon or Arlington Cemetery - we had no time for the latter. The orange train went through to Smithsonian or Capitol, whichever one you want to choose. (There are even more in the area.)

When we returned hungry we decided to eat in the restaurant in the hotel. BAD choice!

The waiter that night was just not up to anything, and there was only one other couple in the entire restaurant.

We ordered cokes and he had to get them from somewhere, none of us understood him well enough to know where that somewhere is. It took very long for him to come to take our orders (including drinks) and even longer to get the salads served. Very shortly after the salads dinner was served and the food was really good, just the waiter was horrible.

The baby stroller stood next to the table and we moved everything in her reach to the other side of the table, but the waiter would keep putting things in the open space with the baby, though we had explained that we were just moving things out of her way.

The morning buffet was really good and plenty, we enjoyed eating there then. Only the chairs were heavily stained which was not nice. Also, when we had gotten the food we also looked for hot drinks. The guys found the lobby coffee and my husband said I should just go there for my tea but I was stopped by the lady. She said she would wait on us at the table. So I sat back down and she brought me coffee, so she had to come back with tea which took her a while and I sat waiting for quite a bit in total, so I had eaten my hot breakfast by the time my tea arrived. That was just a bit crazy.

We left our luggage with the front desk people and went back to the city. We returned around lunchtime because we had a drive ahead of us still. We were going to grab a few snacks for the drive at CVS and then I noticed my credit card and debit card had fallen out of my purse through a rip I had not noticed. I didn't know when and where I had lost those cards, but I was crazed. I asked at the front desk if cards had been found and returned, but they hadn't, but she gave me a room key to look for them in the room.

The beds had already been stripped, otherwise the room was untouched. They were not there. I met a lady from housekeeping in the hall and asked her about the bed clothes because my cards could have fallen out on the bed also. She took me down into the "inside" of the hotel and found more people who helped her search, including the laundry guy and the housekeeping manager. They went out to the laundry truck and searched through all bed clothes, but the cards weren't there. That was really, really nice of them.

• Liked — the help provided by the housekeeping
  • Disliked — the waiter and waitress at the restaurant
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Toronto
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Good hotel for the Washington, DC. area. Close to Metro, clean, large rooms, staff is very helpful. The shuttle van is great, you can park your car (which in the DC area is a major plus) and use the shuttle for restaurant excursions etc.

Only minor complaint is the hotel restaurant, a little pricey.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
East Coast
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Overall this is a great hotel, and I definitely recommend it.

We stayed in Arlington for three nights, and we requested two king rooms. Both rooms were very clean and quiet. The beds were comfortable beyond description, and we were sad to leave them when we checked out!

During our first night, we ordered room service, and the food was pretty good. They only offer room service between five and ten at night. In the morning, you can go down and eat in the restaurant.

Each room has a refrigerator and microwave, and the fridge cooled beverages well.

This hotel can be difficult to find, so make sure to print out good instructions if you don't have a GPS device. I got very lost trying to find the hotel, and I somehow ended up at the Washington Monument as I was trying to find it. We called the hotel on my cell phone, and a very nice shuttle driver (named Abdul) ended up talking us to the hotel. I probably would have never found the hotel if Abdul had not stayed on the phone with us as we drove to the hotel. Also, during our second night at the hotel, we met a couple that also had a hard time finding the hotel.

As other reviewers have noted, the hotel offers a shuttle service to anywhere in Arlington. We took advantage of the free shuttle service a few times, which was definitely helpful.

The nearest Metro stop is one or two blocks away from the hotel. You have to go up the hill in front of the hotel to get to the Metro station. If you have a hard time walking the distance though, the shuttle will drop you off at the station.

There are lots of great restaurants and shops in Arlington, so make sure you save time to explore some of them. In particular, the area of Clarendon has some unique restaurants and shops. We ate brunch at Harry's Tap Room, which was superb. Also, the breakfasts at the Silver Diner are worth a stop too.

During our entire trip, we only encountered one problem at the hotel, and that was during the check-out process. At this Hilton Garden Inn, the driveway in front of the hotel can only hold one car or van. After I dragged my baggage down to the front entrance, I got my car out of the parking garage and proceeded to the front door. In the front driveway, however, the shuttle van was parked and completely blocking the driveway, and the driver that was on duty refused to move it. (This shuttle driver was not Abdul.) As a result, cars were backing up onto the main road, waiting to get into the driveway so that they could load their luggage too. Eventually, I got tired of waiting and pulled my car off on the side of the road. Then, very quickly, I ran to the lobby, grabbed my luggage, and ran back out to my parked car on the side of the road. In the process, I ended up straining some muscles in my back, which has been miserable. Perhaps the Hilton Garden Inn needs to ensure that the driveway is clear for guests to load and unload their luggage during check-out and check-in times. Or, perhaps they need to find somewhere else to park the shuttle van when it's not being used.

Other than the check-out problem, our stay at this hotel was a good one. When I return to Arlington, I will stay here again, but next time, I will take my luggage down to the parking garage and load it there.

• Liked — Comfortable and clean rooms
  • Disliked — check-out problem
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank WithoutWorries
Costa Rica
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed in this hotel twice during June 2008. We enjoyed the rooms, the service (amenities and staff courtesy) and the food. Hey, and let's not forget the proximity to the metro station! I found useful to have complementary internet access in the room and also at the business center. It was also useful to have a van that would take you within 5 miles distance in Virginia (not to Washington DC, no idea why). During our second stay it rained a lot and we had water leaking through the roof (room 825, avoid it when is rainy!). I called the front desk, they sent a person to check it out and then they sent us to another room. They had one staff person help us with the bags. No worries! Everything was smooth. In addition, they gave us complementary breakfast tickets for 2 days!! I think they made an effort to make sure we were comfortable and happy! Rooms were very clean and quiet. I will certainly return to this hotel and I highly recommend it.

• Liked — Commitment to service
  • Disliked — Roof leaks
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Lincoln Ne.
Reviewed July 6, 2008

My girlfriend and I along with her two teenage daughters just stayed here the first week of July. We were touring DC and had been in a hostel in NYC so we were hoping the HGI would be a nice "step up" from the cramped and cheap hostel stay in NYC. Our expectations were moderate and this place was PERFECT!!! The hotel staff made every effort to make us very happy customers. Its just two blocks away of a Metro Subway Station, one block away from Jerry's Pizza where we purchased two large pizza's for $5 apiece. We made meals in the room with the microwave and frig, shopped nearby for food and packed lunches while we toured DC. This place was clean, comfortable, had a shuttle van service to Arlington National Cemetary and everything we needed and everything we wanted. The staff was just fantastic and the restaurant very good. We will certainly try another HGI in the future. We had never stayed at a Hilton thinking they were overpriced but learned that this is a "lower priced" chain of Hiltons.

• Liked — Location and the staff was exceptional.
  • Disliked — Only two computers in the business room, maybe needed four.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Oregon
Reviewed June 9, 2008

Staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in Arlington helped to make our visit to the Washington DC area enjoyable. It is located in a very safe and clean area and within a short walk to the metro station. There are several restautants, a neighborhood market and a movie theatre close by.

Our room was a good size and very clean. Our daily housekeeping was excellent. We were on the street side but heard no street noises. Starbuck's coffee is provided in the room and the lobby. The front desk personnel were all very friendly and extremely helpful. The hotel shuttle was an unexpected service. We used it to visit Arlington National Cemetery. The secure on-site parking garage is for guests only and is worth the $10 per day.

• Stayed April 2008
Hamilton,NJ
Reviewed June 9, 2008

My wife and I stayed here on May 21st & 22nd. The hotel is in a good location for DC / Mt. Vernon sightseeing. Our room was clean for the most part and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful.

After a long day of seeing the sights and doing a lot of walking, we had a quick dinner and just wanted to get back to the room and relax. After a shower, I pulled the covers back and discovered a small bug on the sheet. I looked and saw no others so I wrote it off as an anomaly.

Next night, same scenario, another bug. I don't know what it was but I know I didn't want to take them home with me. I put the bug in a cup and called the front desk. The manager and a maintenance man were at our door a short time later.

The manager was very apologetic and offered to move us to another room and a fruit basket. We had just eaten so we just packed up and moved down the hall. This room was clean and bug free.

We were satisfied with the way things were handled. We've never had a problem at Hilton Garden before and wouldn't let this incident stop us from returning.

The bug, by the way, was never identified.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The bugs
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple