“Great service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
Minneapolis, MN
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

This is a nice hotel in a great location. Service is great - walking back to my room after a morning workout, I ran into a lady with drinks & snacks she was setting up for a meeting to start later that morning. She must have thought I looked thirsty, or sweaty, and offered me a bottle of water. That's the type of thing I love about Marriott - the staff is great. Otherwise, good amenities including the fitness center which is a decent size. Great for a business stay in particular.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
St. John's, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here last July for a conference, and would not choose to stay at this hotel again. I had a room on the club floor- very oddly shaped room, damp and smelly, and oddly shaped. In fact, the room was so damp I was afraid my clothes would smell! Took forever for housekeeping to clean the room and one day I was there, it wasn't cleaned at all. The place was full of Quincineras on the weekend and families during the week. Swimming pool overrun with kids. Brreakfast very good and in room dining OK.

The club room was the worst excuse for a club room I have ever seen. Overall, the property was outdated and in bad need of a makeover. The actual conference was being held in another hotel nearby; I booked this Marriott because I thought it would be nicer, but in the end, I actually tried to leave and get a booking at the hotel where the conference was being held, with no success.

Bottom line- not a great hotel for the business traveller, particularly during the peak DC tourist season.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Gamelanlover
Southfield, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I had thoroughly enjoyed the Crystal Gate Marriott before so my expectations were high. Unfortunately, this time it did NOT meet expectations. I paid over $250/night for a substandard experience.
The lobby entrance smelled damp and some of the carpeted areas had an old, slightly musty odor. I was assigned a king room on the second floor directly across from a fitness room with a noisy door.
The king room window overlooked an atrium full of people — twenty feet below! How could anyone except maybe an exhibitionist open the window shades?!
The conference ballroom was so cold that even males in suits complained. The escalator did not work near the bar area so people had to walk it like stairs, only more precariously with a wide, changing stride.
A complimentary hotel airport shuttle was included to Reagan National Airport. I had to call the hotel for directions to the shuttle at the airport beforehand. On my return from the hotel to the airport, the shuttle driver drop us off at Baggage Claim instead of an airline departure zone!
I will seriously consider moving to another hotel for my next DC trip.

Room Tip: Stay off the second floor, away from the atrium.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank VaporK8
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Everything was great. The staff, cleanliness, shower, bed - hits all the important marks for me! Stayed here on business. Close to DCA airport with a free shuttle, which was fast and pleasant (expecting the opposite). Great location. The hotel has shopping and a large number of good dining establishments underneath the hotel in the mall, very convenient! I will definitely stay again when the need arises.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Great location near DC with easy access to museums and monuments. The hotel is clean, friendly team, comfortable beds and the assurance of consistency that comes with a Marriott flag, Added bonus of shopping right there!

• Stayed February 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed three nights at the Crystal Gateway Marriott. The hotel is convenient to Washington DC by car, cab, and Metro rail. Shops and restaurants next to the hotel provided lower priced eating alternatives to the hotel restaurant, though hotel restaurant food was quite good. Getting into Washington was quick and easy from the Metro station next to the hotel.

I only rated the hotel as very good based on the room itself. We had two full sized beds, one club chair, a desk chair, cabinet with refrigerator. Only complaints were that there were some holes in the shower curtain that appeared to be from a cigarette, yet the room is nonsmoking, and the club chair was a little worn in spots on the upholstery and padding in the arms. Housekeeping came by the room quite early, knocking at the door, but we just asked her to come back after 8:30 a.m.

The lady working the concierge desk was very helpful and friendly.

Overall, good hotel choice.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Aiea, Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at this Marriott as we had a banquet that ran late into the evening. We arrived around 5:30 and decided to use Valet parking as it wasn't obvious where else we should park. Check in was easy. We are gold members and were very disappointed that the concierge lounge was not open on the weekend. They offered to give us a complimentary breakfast but the lounge offer so much more.

The room was nicely prepped and to my liking. I enjoy the bath and body works amenities in the washroom. It was also good to have a mini fridge so that we could have cold water.

I only give it three stars as the view was terrible and I was upset that the lounge was closed. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple