“Great hotel with friendly staff!”

Crystal Gateway Marriott
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
“Great hotel with friendly staff!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last week for two nights. Very impressed! Rooms are fresh and clean. Ordered room service: it was delicious! Only Negative is lack of healthy room service options. Will stay here again!
Make sure you book the right Marriott. There are two directly across the street from each other.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Kpkingtn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This is a comfortable hotel just outside of D.C. I have stayed her many times but the most recent before this stay was about 4 years ago. I should have come back sooner. It is in a perfect location since the Metro stop is below the hotel. From this metro stop we were able to go as far away as the Baltimore Airport without much difficulty. It is also just one stop away from the Washington Reagan International Airport. I spent the weekend touring the museums and visiting the sights and restaurants in the downtown D.C. and Chinatown area.

Oh and the hotel... It is a very comfortable place to stay. The rooms are nice and standard for a Marriott which is very good. They have a nice bar and a decent restaurant on site. The staff was good and helpful when needed. The have very good gym and a nice indoor pool. The rooms are comfortable and clean. I will definitely stay here again in the near future.

Room Tip: Take the Metro. You can get to most of the hot spots from there.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jahjay62
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 31, 2012

This hotel is located in Crystal City very close to the Metro. There are multiple good restaurants in the area. The staff was very friendly. The hotel clean and quiet. Only complaint was you have to pay for internet.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Honesdale
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was my first visit to the Crystal City Marriott for business. It was fairly easy to find given the lack of any perpendicular signs and the front desk people were pleasant. However, I was not greeted at the door or given directions on where to park while checking in and most everything else in the place was pedestrian at best.
There is an open air bar that lacks capacity and a second level deck restaurant that serves good food, but has that atmosphere of "so what, you are here, sit down and we will serve you."
I was not impressed by the service, my room was obviously once a smoker's room, and the lunch served at the business meeting did not indicate any preparation and hundreds of people stood in line waiting for food. As to breakfast, other than an Einstein Bagel shop, there is no place to get a breakfast!
Overall, I would not rate this Marriott highly, but I consider this unusual since most of the Marriotts are above average.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Overall, this is actually a pretty good hotel, so I had to rate it at least average. However, the accumulation of little things (it's always the little things, isn't it?) made it a "not to be repeated" experience for me.

One very unexpected annoyance was the pillows. We were restricted to one enormous hard pillow and one tiny soft pillow, and there was no way I could get a comfortable combination out to them. Stayed here three nights and had no luck either getting more pillows or figuring out how to make these work.

Another problem was the poor bathroom layout. While in the shower, there is no place for your towel located anywhere close to the tub. Even without a shelf, you would think they could at least put a hook on the wall somewhere.

Parking is also a bit of a nuisance. Self-parking costs $24 a day, which is to be expected here, but the hotel is split into two towers with two separate elevator systems and separate parking garages. You can't get from one to the other except through the lobby, and it would have been nice if the front desk could have told me which tower I was in when I checked in. There is no indication of which side you're on except a couple of small signs that let you decode it from your room number. Naturally, the obvious entrance to the garage area was for the tower my room was not in.

On the plus side, this place is very convenient to the Metro and Crystal City shops, which is definitely a good thing. Also, there is an Einstein Bros. bagel shop in the lobby. While they get overwhelmed at times with convention customers, they deal with it pretty well, and the food and coffee are excellent. Too bad they are only open in the morning.

On my next trip to this area, I will look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank braumeister
Miller Place, New York
Reviewed October 22, 2012

For a two night stay to visit the Washington DC area this Marriott was ideally located. It is directly above a Metro station (Crystal City station) which can be accessed from an underground walkway in the hotel lobby. Our 8th floor room was lovely and the bed, sheets, and pillows were "oh so comfortable." All of the DC points of interest were under 5 miles from this hotel which made it very easy to see all we wanted to during our short stay.

The night we arrived, parking was a problem at the Marriott as their on site lot was full (in the end this saved us $48 in parking). We were directed to park at the Crystal City Shops visitor parking, 1750 Crystal Drive between 18th Street and 15th (after 4pm AND on Saturdays and Sundays this parking lot is FREE). We dropped all our bags at the lobby and after parking realized it was an easy "bag-free" 1 block walk.

On our first night we visited the hotel bar and although we enjoyed the drinks, people and atmosphere the bartender was so lacking in personality we never saw him smile or act "friendly" toward customers in any way.

Lastly, the Marriott continues to have an antiquated policy of charging for internet access in the room ($12.95). As a traveler staying at a $250+ a night location, this particular policy irks me since I enjoy checking my email and catching up briefly on my local news in the comfort and privacy of my room (not a lobby). Maybe Marriott needs reminding that "people are their business." Offering free internet access in rooms is an easy way to meet the needs of today's guests.

Minor complaints aside, the hotel is perfectly located and the over all comfort of our stay was great!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 10acious1
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

In the past 15 years, i have stayed here perhaps 50 times. The property sits on top of a Metro station and has a comp shuttle to the airport. I travel for the Goverment and the "Government Rate" is usually but not always, available. On a 2 day stay recently, I was disappointed to find the property beginning to show its age. Two items in particular were troublesome. The elevators were out of order for much of the stsy. There was a large conference there at the time that exacerbated the problems. On two mornings I was late for appointments downtown having been stranded on the 12th floor. One day, I waited 30 minutes for the elevator, unable to join my fellow guests descending by stairs due to arthritic knees.. Another issue is the Concierge Lounge". Access to this has alesys been a cherished perk for Marriott's frequent guests and this property's snacks and breakfasts have been teriffic. No more. The evening offerings during my last visit were frankly subpar, running to cut-up Kraft cheese slices a d celery and carrot sticks. Breakfast was the same thing every day...watery scrambled eggs. This probably sounds picky but for a place where the Government rate is $250 a night, little things mean a lot.

• Stayed October 2012