“Ideal hotel to visit DC” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Gateway Marriott

Crystal Gateway Marriott
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
England
“Ideal hotel to visit DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is an excellent base to visit both Washington and the local Virginia towns. To travel to DC take a short 2 minute walk to the metro through the underground walkway connected to the lobby and you then have a short 15 minute ride on a clean and safe underground system. Ronald Reagan airport is nearby and having the shuttle bus service enabled us to travel to our next destination with the minimum of disruption. The staff were very friendly, polite and attentitive when we had dealings with them. The room was large and well appointed and I would recommend you stay on the upper east tower to get the best views of downtown. The rates we got for the weekend were excellent and made it a viable cost to visit Washington. If you get the opportunity take the metro the Alexandria VA (2 or 3 stops along the line) where you can take a walk straight out of the station and walk down Main street where there are a wide variety of independent shops with lots of excellent restaurants and bars clustered around the pier at the end of the street. If you are too tired to walk back then you catch the free trolley bus back to the station.Visiting Washington? You will not be disappointed at the Marriott Crystal Gateway.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Dunroe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Korean first
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I usually stay downtown at a Kimpton but needed to be class to the airport so I chose the Mariott. I had stayed there years ago and was pleasantly surprised when I walked in the and found it newly renovated

What great service from the desk, room service and the bar. Beautiful pool, spa, and exercise area. Quiet rooms and spotless. But it is the staff that really makes this an oasis for a weary traveler !

They set the bar for a Marriott !

• Stayed August 2012
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Great value for the price paid, very close to metro station, staff was nice, beautiful pools with nice attendants, huge lobby and a good size fitness area, rooms can be renovated but ok, anyways a good hotel for a perfect summer getaway in dc area

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Matt C
Northern Virginia, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

My family and I had a wonderful stay at this hotel for the weekend of our family reunion. The hotel is huge! These are all the pluses we enjoyed: Many sitting areas throughout the property, a great in-house restaurant with very fresh and delicious breakfast buffet, a fabulous bar, huge indoor/outdoor pool and gym, clean rooms, great water pressure in the showers, plush bedding, great views of crystal city area, very close to pentagon city mall. We will DEFINITELY go back soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank wooilovepancakes
US
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We stayed at this hotel out of pure convenience - my husband was attending a conference there. Otherwise, we’d probably have gone with a different one in a different part of DC. We booked a junior suite since we travel with our toddler. This meant the room came with a little dinette for us to use (instead of eating off the couch and ottoman.) The room was clean but did not come with all the usual things you come to expect. It did not have a microwave but did have a smaller than average refrigerator – just large enough to hold a couple of drinks and a few very small containers. Nor did it have Internet – that was located in the hotel lobby. Our room was tucked away near the housekeeping closets and next to the elevator. At first I was concerned about the possibility of noise – but it was very quiet considering there were many conferences/meetings happening during our stay. The hotel was quite busy and when you called down for any service, it took a long time (or a second call) to get what we required. The biggest plus of this hotel was its location to the Metro and the underground mall. That was nice since we could not store food in our fridge and we traveled a bit to check out DC. We didn't check out the pool - too many other things to do. I would not necessarily recommend this place for a traveling family but it’s definitely ideal for the business traveler.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

This is a fantastic hotel for the location and price. I'll emphasize that the price was right for the weekend when all of the business travelers have left town and they are willing to offer great deals. I travel to DC 3 times a year on business and because of restrictions by company imposes I can't stay here because it's usually high two's to mid-three's. For the weekend trip I just took it was around one bill per night.

So, first off the location is awesome. The Metro is basically adjacent to the hotel connected by an underground tunnel. DC is three to four stops away and Smithsonian and the Mall is another two stops...total about 15 minutes. You never have to go outside - nice when raining.

Restaurants are a plenty in the area and range from fast food to upscale options like McCormack and Shmicks. Again, almost all are within 5 minutes walking and most are reachable through the underground shopping mall.

Hotel staff was great and very friendly and looking for ways to make you happy. I was traveling with my four and a half year old on our first father-son trip. The person at the front desk was very friendly and trying to engage my son. She eventually went into a treasure chest behind the front desk and emerged with a handful of toys for him. She then found us a room with a separate sitting area where I could unwind at night after putting him to bed (and it allowed extra play room for him). This had a pull out couch for me to sleep on as well since she didn't have any rooms with two beds (just one king). The room was spacious and clean and the housekeeping was good each day and even came back at night for turn down service with chocolates for your pillows which made an impression on my son.

Didn't really use any amenities this trip because of a full schedule of sightseeing. I did enjoy the in-lobby Einstein Bagel shop which i used for breakfast one morning. There was a Dunkin Donuts right inside the food court next to the hotel which pleased my son both mornings.

Checkout was just as easy as checkin. Standard checkout is 1pm which was perfect for us. We went to Air and Space museum that morning and came back by 1 to head to airport for a 3pm flight. Lobby computers for free boarding pass printing and then onto the METRO for just one stop to Reagan.

All in all, would highly recommend this hotel and general location for any sightseeing trip to DC. Plan to go back soon.

• Stayed August 2012
4 Thank ATLCUTigers
Ridgefield, Connecticut
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

I was attending a conference at this hotel and had made reservations about seven weeks in advance for a room with a king-sized bed (at 6' 3'' 230 it's necessary for a decent night's sleep) . When I arrived to check in the receptionist was rude and as she handed me the key card informed me that the room had 2 double beds. When I explained to her that I had made a reservation for a room with a king bed almost 2 months ago, she replied curtly that it did not "go through." She had no interest when I showed her my reservation confirmation. Needless to say she was not interested in apologizing, trying to be helpful or find a creative solution. When I spoke with the manager I got the canned response of "we're completely booked".

It's one thing to drop the ball on a reservation, but to compound the frustration with rude service and no attempt to find a creative solution is unacceptable. I will not stay at a Marriott again.

As far as the rooms, they are clean, though the beds are so soft that you wake with a sore back. The AC is not easy to adjust with the in room thermometer either.

Room Tip: do not stay here. there are many other quality hotels in the area.