New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Crystal Gateway Marriott

Crystal Gateway Marriott
Ranked #13 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
Richmond, VA
“Average business hotel? Not so much”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I checked into the Crystal Gateway Marriott this evening. When I checked in I bought some Tylonel because I had a headache. The woman who checked me in said she hoped I felt better. Upon receiving my room service later that evening there was a handwritten note from the check in associate. She mentioned how sorry she was that I wasn't feeling well and mentioned again she hoped I felt better. I tend to find most business hotels to be the same. If I've seen one Marriott (or Hyatt, or Westin, or Hilton, or whatever) I've seen them all. But service like this is memorable. If more hotel staff were like this employee business road warriors lives would be much better. Kudos on the customer service here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Korean first
Knoxville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Positives: Great access to Metro, shops and restaurants (mainly chains) are a short walk underground, rooms were clean and the floor we stayed on was quiet.
Negatives: Set the temperature at 70 degrees and it never stopped running and yes it was loud like others have mentioned, so many guests coming and going that you are just another face in a long line of guests (think conferences, weddings, graduations etc), beds were not as comfortable as other Marriott properties I've stayed at, bathroom was on the small side.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Marion Center, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

A business class hotel that caters to tourists on weekends. Great rate, very nice, clean comfortable rooms. Metro located in subway underneath the hotel with just a 3 minute walk. Front desk check in clerk at first didn't see our breakfast included but the next day when I had my paperwork that clerk said it was on the reservation. Had to ask for extra caffeinated coffee for the room but they brought it right up.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

Can't believe that an upscale hotel would want to tack 12 more dollars on to their room bill for wi fi. And no, I do not want to come down to your lobby! I am also a Marriott rewards member. Seriously?

Room Tip: No breakfast deal.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Navytravel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012 via mobile

We are currently in DC for a wedding. We booked a 2 night stay with this hotel through the block of rooms the bride had set up in March. When we arrived last night the rudest front desk, Jennifer and Stephanie, told us we could either have a sleep sofa or go somewhere else because they didn't have a room for us. Mind you as they are saying this I have the email the hotel sent me confirming our reservation. Jennifer told us that a tour bus thY didn't have reservations came in and they gave the rooms to them but if for some reason we hadn't showed up we still would have been charged for not canceling on time. Now yes, they did say they would pay for Friday night at another hotel but couldn't promise we would have a room on Saturday. The reason again why we booked with this hotel is because this where the block of hotel rooms were set up for the wedding and a shuttle would be coming there to pick up guest. Jennifer and stephanie who claimed to be charge were VERY rude and wouldn't even give us directions to this other hotel that 'we just needed to go too.' The valet witnessed this abuse from the front desk and stepped in to get us directions. Marriott you have lost customers that have only ever sta yed in our properties because of the lack of competence of this hotel!

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank whitleymr
Chris H, Manager at Crystal Gateway Marriott, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. It certainly is not the experience we would have wished for you or any of our guests. We did have a situation last Saturday where a tour group was contracted at the same time our last rooms were being sold. As a result we relocated a few arriving guests including you. I apologize that we did not have the room you had reserved.

I will talk with the team and share your feedback. While they had to deliver bad news not of their making, we can work with all of our associates to make sure future relocated guests- should it happen again- are shown genuine care and concern.

Thanks again for your feedback. Chris H- Resident Manager

I am glad our hotel covered your room for both nights. But I realize it still detracted from the fun of your weekend. If there is anything else I can do, please let me know.
Victoria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

Location to the Metro (walk down a ramp) is fantastic, basically takes you to all the main Washington DC sites (memorials, National mall, baseball, etc.). Rooms clean, had an issue with wrong room was fixed immediately, good service. On the needs improvement side: No free wi-fi in rooms (was in lobby, but it was a bit hit and miss), ridiculously slow elevators, consierge was rude to one of her colleagues one night which as a guest I shouldn't have witnessed (especially when employee was being quite helpful to me at the time). Air Conditioning fan was noisy. Breakfast service in hotel restaurant was very slow. I would stay here again though.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allan M
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

This was no different then any other nice 3 star Marriott. Clean, friendly staff, nice rooms.
The location is good considering that it's not in DC. Has excellent metro access to get you right over to DC. Metro access was the selling point.

• Stayed May 2012