“Great stay at Holiday Inn @ Key Bridge”

Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
UK
“Great stay at Holiday Inn @ Key Bridge”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I stayed at the Holiday Inn with my girlfriend as part of of sighseeing trip to the USA earlier this year. Due to the volcanic ash cloud we had less time in Washington than we would have liked but we found the Holiday Inn at Key Bridge to be the perfect base from which to explore the city.
We arrived in Washington from New York via a Greyhound bus and despite my initial concerns about finding a taxi quite late (we arrived at 11.30pm) we were able to find one immediately outside the bus terminal.
The cost of the taxi was about $20, which I thought was a little expensive but after a 4 hour bus journey we were glad to arrive.
Due to our arrival time, check in was hassle-free as there were no other guests in the reception area.
We got to our room on the 9th floor to find a clean and tidy room and a large comfortable bed. The layout was a little strange - there is a sink and a mirror immediate in front of you as you enter with a smallish but well-maintained bathroom to your left. you progress to a large living area with plenty of seating, a large TV and minibar through to the bedroom which has plenty of storage room. Both rooms have balconies and although the views weren't great from either, it was nice to soak up the morning sunshine.
Breakfast was hosted in the top floor restaurant, there was plenty of choice (cereals,bacon, eggs bagels etc) and the staff were courteous and friendly. If you can get a window seat as it makes for some great views of the Francis Scott Key Bridge, the Potomac River and Georgetown. Plane buffs can watch airliners whizz past every few minutes as they begin their final approach to Reagan airport.
Rosslyn doesn't have a massive amount to offer apart from large office buldings and quite a lot of traffic but the Metro is literally a stonesthrow from the hotel connecting you to all the major sights and attractions. Georgetown too is just a short stroll across the Key bridge where there is a pretty wide variety of bars/hotels etc.
All in all this was a pleasant stay in a conveniently-located hotel and I would come again without hesitation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Hebrew first
Minnesota
Reviewed May 14, 2010

Stayed for six nights May 1-7

Plusses: very close to metro station and walking distance to a variety of restaurants and a grocery store on Wilson Ave. The map provided by the hotel was very useful.

Room (10th floor, not overlooking the river) had a nice little balcony, a reclining chair, a good-sized desk, free wifi. Our room did have a refrigerator but I got the impression when I called them to conftrm that it's not really standard and you have to ask for it (even though the website says they are standard). And when I checked in they said "call us if it doesn't have one and we'll bring one - if we have one"

Our room had a sink inside the (small) bathroom as well as a second one just outside the bathroom. That was nice.

Minusses: I'm glad somebody made note of the rooms close to the elevator because every day, while waiting for the very slow elevators, we commented that it wouldn't be fun having any of the four or so rooms right there. We were down the hall.

Room smelled heavily of smoke even though non-smoking. At least it's non-smoking now. So it was either bleed-through from a smoking area, it used to be a smoking room, or somebody just couldn't control themselves (even the guy next to me was smoking on his balcony one night, so maybe some of the smell came from balcony smokers).

The hotel itself is a bit dated and showing it's age (e.g. we had a dresser that would have been hard to unload at a garage sale) but everything worked and was clean. Except one day one of our replacement glassware glasses was filthy. The others were ok though. I actually prefer the plasic cups in the wrapper. Yes they look cheap, but you always know you have a clean cup.

The bed was very soft. Maybe too soft - my wife slept in the chair one night and I got a backache. It was ok after a couple nights.

They have a "pillow menu" where you can order pillows of different firmness. OK, but it would be nice to know what the room comes with standard, so I called the front desk. They had no idea, and referred me to housekeeping. Unfortunately you have to call housekeeping before 3. So we finally ordered a few new ones (which seemed a little different than what we had anyway) but I went back in the room to get the old ones and the housekeeper took off and I had to chase her down the hall to giver her the ones I didn't want. Kind of funny - maybe she thought I wanted 12 pillows in my room :-)

The air conditioner is feeling its age as well. It was stiffling when we arrived at about 6pm the first night and it took a full 24 hrs before the room was cool to our liking. I admit that we are cold-body Minnesotans, but we had the unit on high fan, cooling, with the thermostat set at its lowest setting, non-stop for six straight days (thankfully our housekeeper didn't touch it as they sometimes do) and I would still only rate the temp as "adequately cool".

The pool was ok, and I think generally has a lifeguard on duty (?). And there is a little outdoor deck adjacent to the pool. But one evening we went down to use it and found the door locked, and the pool itself had been drained and was being refilled. No notice on check-in, no sign at the pool area (which was on the 2d floor, which is actually 3 elevator stops above the lobby) . So we went down to the lobby and was told it might be up the next night. The next night we found the door unlocked, but the lights were still off and it looked like jugs of chemicals poolside. Still no note, so we called the front desk and the pool was still closed, now we were told for the rest of the week. But it actually opened the following night at 6pm.

One day I had an issue with the electronic door lock. The key card I had been using all week just wouldn't work. I went back down to the front desk and they ran me two more keys. Back up to the room and none of the three worked. Back to the front desk and they said they'd send maintenannce. Of course when he showed up two of the three started working, but only if you jiggled it just so (he kindly showed me the "trick"). Anyway, he took the one bad key, and between the three we had remaining we got by. Buut I made sure to carry two instead of just one, just in case.

Finally - breakfast. Breakfast is not included with the standard room rate (though I think there are some "with breakfast" rate plans). However, you can get free breakfast if you are a member of Priority Club, which I am, as is my wife. Some reviews suggested that you can only get one free per room, some suggested that they'll cover everybody in the room, some suggested only the Club members. So I emailed in advance and was told "one per room" (which I think I actually saw written down somewhere in the hotel info folio found in the desk). But we check in and they give me the voucher but it allows two free breakfasts. And they tell me that kids 12 and under eat free, which counts even with the voucher. But then I'm looking in the hotel folio and not only does the "kids eat free" deal imply "only with paid adult" (it says nothing about vouchers) it also implies that to eat free the kids have to order from the kids menu. So I figure we'll find out at breakfast the next morning. So we go up to the restaurant and it's a zoo - the staff never comes near the maitre de stand to seat us, some people are waiting there, some just walk on in and seat themselves and grab a plate for the buffet. So we go on in and help ourselves, and eventually a waiter comes around to ask about coffee. So my daughter is already eating buffet by then but I ask if she was supposed to order from the kids menu. He was pretty easy-going and said "whatever makes you happy" (well, a straight answer or some clear info would make me happy, but I roll with it). I never did figure out what I should have done, but on the other hand I was never charged anything so it worked out in the end. Plus it took us two days to figure out that they wanted all the buffet people to sit on one side of the restaurant....

The breakfast itself was ok. They had scrambled eggs (which were actually very well made), biscuits and gravy, sausage and bacon, home fried potatos, a selection of cereal, some bread and bagels to toast, a fruit and oatmeal bar, and sometimes they had pastries. I would not have been happy paying for that breakfast (especially at the going rate) but it was very good for "free" with my voucher. And while the wait staff was bit pressed, they were all very nice.

In conclusion, my chief complaint about this hotel is that it always felt like nobody quite knew what was going on (with the pool, the pillows, the refrigerator, the whole breakfast plan, etc....) Seriously, you couldn't put a sign on the pool door that says "sorry, closed until...."? And some of the breakfast issues might be due to the hotel having some information and the restaurant other information, but in the six days I was there it was clear that I wasn't the only one trying to figure it out how it works, and it doesn't seem like it should be quite that mysterious.

However, I WOULD stay again because it was conveniently located, it had the best price for the time of my visit, and the staff was friendly.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank rcpeterson
HolidayInnRosslyn, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, May 20, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write this response, we're glad you enjoyed your stay here. I'll try and answer the things you were unsure of so we're on the same page for your next stay!

At the time of your stay we were experiencing some elevator issues, which we do apologize for. However, the elevator company has corrected those issues and we're fully operational at this point.
You're totally correct that this is a completely non-smoking hotel, the charge is $200 if caught. I certainly apologize for the smell of smoke.
The normal pillow is a firm synthetic pillow, the other types can be ordered off the pillow menu through the front desk or housekeeping.
A lifeguard is always on duty at our pool. Our pool was closed from May 4-6 due to preventative maintenance. We did have this posted on our website in late March, but certainly understand where it could have been an inconvenience.
Concerning breakfast, we do give breakfast vouchers to all of our priority club guests. It's the local benefit that we offer, along with 20% your first dinner entree. Kids also eat free with or without a paid adult entree, I'm not sure of other hotel's policies, but that's ours. With the number of priority club members we have the restaurant does get crowded sometimes, but as you said the staff does a good job of keeping everyone happy.

I hope this cleared some things up, and I hope you come back to our property again. If I haven't answered any questions/concerns, feel free to contact me at guestservices@hirosslyn.com.

Brampton, Ontario
Reviewed May 1, 2010

This is a great hotel for business or liesure travel. It is about one block from the Rosslyn Metro station (subway). From here, you can access all of the DC area attractions including the Pentagon, the Smithsonians, the Nationals Stadium, Reagan airport, and etc. The hotel features a restaurant on the top floor with great views of Georgetown, the Potomac and some of the Mall. The elevators are a bit on the slow side, but overall, the value can't be beat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your kind response, as your said it's definitely tough to bet our location and the view from the Vantage Point!

Unfortunately during your stay we were having some issues with one of our elevators. That issue has been addressed, and we're fully operation at this point.

Once again, thanks for the review. We hope to see you again!
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed April 29, 2010

What a great hotel. Free parking, rooms were very clean, breakfast was free in the 17th floor restaurant, within 2 blocks of the Metro, close to Georgetown and the Mall, and the staff was courteous and helpful. Also, the rooms were quiet and and had very nice views. The downside, the showers were small and needed some upgrades and we had an AC unit go down but was fixed very soon.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to write your response, we definitely appreciate it. Our free parking and free breakfast to priority club members are definitely two tremendous additional benefits. Sorry to hear about the AC problems, but I'm glad our response time to the issue was sufficient. Please remember us on your next trip to DC!
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2010

Never stayed here before but had a nice time @ Holl.Inn in Key Largo so gave this one a shot. What a great experience we had! The check inn clerk was busy with another guest so the manager, Corey Price, came out to help us himself. He booked us on the top (Executive) floor with a beautiful view. Significantly taller than the Marriott Key Brige across the street! He offered us a map with good directions, and was extremely pleasant, informative, and helpful. The room was very nice with a refrigerator and coffee machine(very important!) He mentioned as Priority Club Members we also had free breakfast and 20% discount in the restaurant included. The AAA Rate of $89- night was an exceptional value as the hotel's convenience to DC Metro & walking distance to Georgetown, not to mention FREE Parking! They also had a fully equipped fitness room & a nice indoor pool which we did not use but looked great. Modest in size not too big or small. If we had more time we would have definately gone swimming. The breakfast was good and our waiter Abdul who we had for ea. day, was very nice,& extremely helpful with an excellent attitude & great service!! The restaurant did get busy @ closing for breakfast (9:30am?) but still served (with a smile) those of us coming in @ 9:45am without a hitch. Sun am should have later brunch hours til like 11am or so- but no complaints here. Check-out was seamless and they had plenty of staff @ desk. The business center had free gorgeous new Apple computers! All in all this was one of the best values (in comparison to what's around) and nicely decorated hotels with a great location for visiting DC, Iwo Jima/Arlington Cem., Georgetown, GWU, & Reagan Airport. Sad to leave & will Definately eturn again!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 1TAGUY
Thank you for taking the time to write a response, especially remembering the employees names who were so helpful. We'll be sure to pass along the compliments to Corey and Abdul for being so helpful. Thank you for your feedback suggesting a Sunday Brunch. We have tried this before without too much success, but I'll be sure to pass this along to our General Manager.

Thanks again for the review, we hope to see you again!

us
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We stayed here for a quick weekend in D.C. Having never been there, we are very happy to say that this was a great location for us (across the bridge from Georgetown and 2 blocks for the Metro). We had a room on the 16th floor overlooking the river. It was clean and quiet. We also highly recommend this because parking is FREE, which is extremely rare in D.C.! Internet was also free.

Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank UsLil
Thank you so much for your response, we're glad everything at the hotel worked out well for you all. Sounds like you had a great room!

indianapolis
Reviewed April 24, 2010

I chose this property as the rest of my family was staying in a Best Western. I am soo glad I did. At check in staff recognized priority club and upgraded to a suite overlooking the river and DC. AWesome. As others mentioned free parking which was huge plus for the area. Stayed an extra night to spend more time with family the hotel was booked but manager took care of us. WOW . Not a suite but made us happy not to move to another property. Two or three blocks to metro station as others have posted . Made sightseeing a breeze . Going to the mall to check out the memorials and the White House and dinner at Union Station. Definately made our trip so memorable. Very pleased with stay. Wife and daughter swam in the pool two nights. Had dinner in the restaurant on the top floor overlooking DC. Very good service and food. Very clean rooms. The breakfast buffet was great and not too crowded for the size of the hotel. Would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank tuesdaypoolnight
Thank you so much for your review, it sounds like you had a wonderful time staying with us. We would love to have you back at the hotel in the future to see if we can match the first time!