“Best Holiday Inn I've ever seen, and amazing service (except the restaurant)”

Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge
Ranked #25 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed September 26, 2009

Okay so we showed up with no reservation on a Friday night. The reason for no reservation was that neither my husband or I carry credit cards.
They had no problem getting us our reservation. The man who checked us in (named Saif) was amazing. We mentioned we were on our honeymoon and he automatically deducated $8/night off the price (bringing us from $108/night to $100/night). It's not a lot but it was a nice gesture. He then told us he would upgrade us from a normal room to an executive suite. He gave us the side of the hotel that overlooked Georgetown. It was great.
The location is perfect (1 block from the subway into DC). The staff were great. The next night we saw one of them men who was at he desk when we checked in and he remembered it was our honeymoon and asked if we were having a nice time and if there was anything we needed.
Free parking in an indoor garage was great (I didn't think we'd find that anywhere)
The pool was a tad small but there was only us and 1 family in it so it wasn't a big deal. We really just wanted to go in it to soak our feet after a long day of walking around DC.

I'd caution to avoid the restaurant. On our 2nd morning there we decided to check out the restaraunt on the 17th floor for breakfast. Instead of the $15/person buffet we thought we'd just order a breakfast and split it. Well the server was an idiot. I asked for tap water (not wanting to pay $5 or whatever it was for bottled) he didn't know what tap water was. So I said "free water" and he goes "evian?" NO! Free water. So finally he figured it out (after we threatened to leave). He brings us our food (after not being able to understand our order he finally got it right). The bacon was undercooked, the scrambled eggs were undercooked and watery (being pregnant I can't eat either of those in that form) and somehow, with all of that they overcooked our sausage. It was a stone. So we complained and said we refused to eat it. He didn't even offer to remake it he just says "well I'll take care of the bill for you" as if that was doing us a huge favour. I wasn't planning to pay for it anyways.
So we left and went to the cafe/coffee shop on the 2nd floor. They are awesome there. On the 1st morning I asked them where we could find the Metro and the one man walked me right outside and pointed it out (when he easily could've just told us directions). But he went out of his way to help me. The food is a decent price. Nothing special (bagels, croissants, sandwiches) but it was good and convenient to just grab and go. My husband loved the coffee there. Said it was the best he had found in the US (since they lack our normal morning Tim Horton's coffee in the US).
Seeing how everyone at the hotel was nice I don't understand what happened with the restaurant staff.

The hotel itself...well lets just say I have never, in my life, walked into a Holiday Inn and felt like I had entered a Four Points Sheraton. It was just lovely.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Queennikki

Reviewed September 24, 2009

I was a little worried to stay here because the reviews were n't bad, but not great also. I usually stay at the Arlington Hyatt or Hotel Palomar. While it is not the Palomar, it is definitely on par with the Hyatt. The view from our room was beautiful, with a nice balcony. The bathroom was roomy and there was an extra sink outside the bathroom, whcih was very convenient since there were three of us staying there! Any time I called the front desk for an extra pillow or anything, they were right on it and very friendly. I will stay there again for sure. I didn't get to eat the breakfast since I was recovering from a stomach illness, but my parent's did and said it was pretty good, especially for free!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank happyshopper
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I just stayed here 9/12-9/13. I chose this location because the metro is only 1 and a half blocks away and so you can get to D.C. landmarks within minutes! The hotel is much cheaper because you are not dealing with D.C. taxes (10%) which are much higher than Virginia. Plus, you can park at the hotel FREE which is not the case with other hotels in the area who charge anywhere from $15-$25 for 24hr. We arrived very early on Saturday at 7 a.m. and the front desk clerk was nice enough to give us a room even though check-in was at 3pm. This is was such a relief to us since we drove through the night from NJ and were exhausted. Obviously, if you are looking for luxury, this is not the place, but I was pleasanty surprised by the super comfortable bed, the awesome shower head and the balcony which faced Key Bridge and the Potomac River. It felt good to get some fresh air in the morning instead of being stuck in a typical hotel room with a window that does not open. The hotel will push their restaurant on the 17th floor, but you will find Cosi, Chipotle, Starbucks, McDonalds all within 2 blocks. We also drove to a 24 hr diner at 2a.m. Sat night because we were craving breakfast. We found a diner called Caesars in Alexandria (a 5 min drive) by using the phone book in the hotel room. The hotel is old and so is the decor, but if you are more concerned with practicality over style, then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank EttaBarb
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Our family of 7 stayed in 2 rooms and were very satisfied. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bathroom could use some updating and I didn't care for the plastic type mattress covers on the beds but other than that it was just fine.

We enjoyed the breakfast buffet as priority club members. I do believe ti is overpriced at $15 if we had to pay.

The gentleman at the front desk was very friendly-check in was efficient and they gave us a map of the local area marked with restaurants, which was helpful.

The proximity to the metro was great for sightseeing in DC. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Fourdarlings
Reviewed September 9, 2009

We stayed 3 nights in this hotel, whilst atending a friends wedding, the room we had was on the 16th floor overlooking the river, the room was superbly furnished, very clean and the view was secind to none.
A short walk from the Rosslyn Metro, it was 3 minute metro ride to the Smithisonian Stop, which costs $1.30.
A small cafe within the hotel sold take away snacks and tea and coffee at reasonable prices, and the breakfast pastry selection was excellent.
The staff we encountered, were friendly, knowledgeable, genuine and efficient.
I cannot recommend this hotel enough on price, location and room standard.
Would definately visit again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank canuck1975
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Had reservations for two nights, and were so pleased with location, ammenities, etc., extended stay one night. Had read reviews and was concerned, but chose property due to location near the Metro. Metro was a short block and a half from the hotel. Have read reviews indicating Metro was 3 blocks away, and wonder if reviewer went out the wrong door. Hotel staff was very efficient at check in. Only negative here is there was only one bellman and he walked all around me as I was waiting with my luggage without offering to assist. Had he offered he would have received a tip of a $1 for each bag I had (5), but he didn't. We would really rather use the hotel cart (these were in short supply) and save the $5 anyhow. It took a while, but we finally secured a cart. Our room was a King Executive on the 14th floor with a balcony overlooking the Potomac - gorgeous view. There was a lot of air traffic, but this did not disturb us and it was fun to watch the planes. The internet was free, easy to access, and readily available. Although there was a flat screen tv, the reception was lacking, but we did not take time to discuss this with the employees because we spent very little time watching tv anyhow. I'm not sure if this was a system wide problem or if it was just in our room. This is an older property that could use an update, but the rooms are clean and I suspect when there is an update, the daily rates will be raise signficantly as the hotel has a great location for a tour of Washington, DC. Free internet and free parking is a great cost saving. Having the sink outside the bathroom was a real plus! Our refrigerator was large and worked fine. The bed was comfortable. The parking in the enclosed garage was ample. Breakfast in the top floor restaurant was free to priority members and was adequate although not sumptuous. The only negative comment I have is there was a really strange, unpleasant odor in the hall going from the elevator to our room. Something really needs to be done about this as it gives opportunity for a negative impression -- I don't know if cleaning or replacing the carpet would help. Our room smelled freshed and there was no evidence of the odor in the hall.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Well after booking our trip on Southwest Vacations, we checked in the Holiday Inn. Got to our room, opened the door, and the room was dirty old and not what I would have expected from a "3" star hotel. I would rate this hotel a 1 1/2 maybe. So we leave the room, go to lunch come back to the room and decide we need to find another hotel. We called Southwest Vacations, and they contacted Holiday Inn, and they did not want to let us out of the "contract" (they had all their money). So they ended up charging us for 2 nights which was 300.00 and letting us out. Looking online the only thing that is listed as a penalty is if you cancel before 6 pm, you forego one night. So needless to say we are not happy with this hotel. But the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexanderia was WONDERFUL! and includes a free huge breakfest!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family