“Great location, but hotel is a bit tired”

Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge
Ranked #26 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Los Angeles, CA
“Great location, but hotel is a bit tired”
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Two night stay for business in July 2013. The hotel has had some of the finishes (paint, carpet, etc) updated but the fundamentals are still tired. The TV is poor quality, the bathroom fixtures are worn and the room lighting is all budget motel. Do all Holiday Inns have a sink in the entry, and a sink in the bathroom? Two sinks in different rooms might be great for family, but they don't make a lot of sense for business or couples. I wish I had paid less for the room, I'd have a much more favorable review. But at $150+ for a non-holiday, mid-week stay, it was not a great value. It is quite convenient to the Rosslyn Metro subway stop, which is in Arlington just across the river from DC. Blue/Orange lines get you into the heart of the capitol in a matter of minutes.

Room Tip: Upper floors (above 6th) and river facing for view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank FrequentFlyerFred
HolidayInnRosslyn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear FrequentFlyerFreddie,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're glad that you enjoyed our location, but regret hearing that you felt our hotel wasn't to the Holiday Inn standard. We are working diligently on updating our property and we hope that you can see our final product by the end of the year. Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Hotel Management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Hebrew first
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Just back from a stay at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn on business. I stay in a lot of hotels in the DC area and this was easily the worst experience I've had in quite a while. The hotel booked me in a room directly across from the elevator, which meant I was up all night with the loud elevator dinging and the sound of loud/drunk guests congregating just outside my door as they waited for the elevator. Good hotels are designed so that the elevators are far away from guest rooms, but this one has several rooms just a few feet from the elevator doors on each floor. I asked to be moved to another room, but the front desk refused. The room (and much of the floor I was on) also smelled terrible, like vomit. The cold water came out of the tap so warm that it was disgusting to brush my teeth with it. I was glad to check out in the morning. I will advise my company not to book me or other employees in this hotel again.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Drew S
HolidayInnRosslyn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Drew S,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We apologize that you weren't satisfied with your stay. We will take all of your comments and forward them to all of our departments so these issues don't reoccur. Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Piscataway, New Jersey
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed at this HI for one night as a stopover returning home from our July 4th vacay in WBurg, Va. Staff we encountered very friendly, helpful & courteous; we were upgraded to a suite as we were given a key to someone else's room when we checked in. We also got free breakfast for the family of 4. The restaurant has an awesome view of DC, highly recommended to try the breakfast here & enjoy the view on the 17th floor. This is an older property; however internet access was complimentary, fast & efficient. I would definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Luvtravel
Dear LuvTravel,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. Your comments really push our staff forward to provide great costumer service to all of our guest. We're delighted to here that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we hope that continue to stay with us everytime you visit the D.C area.

Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Rosslyn while we were visiting DC. I'd read the reviews on here and was concerned about how slow the elevators would be based on those reviews, but we never encountered anything but speedy elevators and we were staying on the 7th floor.

We didn't try out the restaurant on the 17th floor for any meals (based on reviews read here), so I can't comment on that.

The room we had was fine with a balcony overlooking the Key Bridge. We took a metrobus from the Rosslyn Metro (note: the paper fare tickets do not work on buses, so word to the wise there. And the 38B bus that goes into Georgetown arrives right outside the entrance to the Metro and to the right) into Georgetown to visit Georgetown Cupcakes and also had lunch there. After lunch, we worked off lunch by walking back to the hotel over the Key Bridge. It wasn't a bad walk at all, honestly, and was quite pleasant.

I noticed that the bathroom ceiling was quite short. I'm 5'8" and when I raised the hair dryer (which I found under the sink outside the bathroom), I kept banging the hair dryer against the ceiling. Apologies to anyone who was above us for that!

The Rosslyn Metro is a very short two-block walk away. You'll find it easily by all the construction going on outside it. Also, for those scared of heights, you might want to take the elevator because the Rosslyn Metro has the third-longest escalator in the world and it's quite steep. I thought it was quite interesting, but others may not.

All in all, the Holiday Inn Rosslyn was great. Oh, note, if you take the night tour they offer, confirm the price when you sign up for it. All the advertisements said $150 for 3 adults, but we were charged $200 at the end of the tour. I couldn't remember if I had read it right by then, but confirmed what the ad said when I got back to the room, so that was a shame.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mehh94,

Thank you for your great review of the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. I appreciate all of your great comments about our location and ammenities (sorry about the low bathroom ceilings). We're very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy every aspect of your stay. Please keeps us in mind the next time you visit the D.C area.

portsmouth
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Next to Rosslyn Metro and the 5a bus stop to Dulles. Great location. Rooms were big and all amenities provided. Loved my stay and would use this hotel again, for value, ease of location and just being comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank turbotravellerturbo
Dear turbotravellerturbo,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. We appreciate all of your great comments on our service and location. Our staff is delighted that you felt comfortable and at ease while staying with us. We hope to continue being able to accomodate you in the near future.

Bogota
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We went there with my family (4). When arrived I was not recognized as Platinum member. No special amenities or room upgrade like in other hotels of the same program. I even asked and the only "big" thing I got was a free breakfast (only one)!. This was the first time I had to pay for breakfast in a holiday in (In all fairness I have to say I paid half the price for the other three members of my family, and the breakfast was higher level than in HIExpress)). Later on I learnt that the free breakfast only applies to the "express" hotels. As a very old member there must be something wrong with communications because this was never evident for me until I got to this hotel.

Location of the hotel is good, but rooms don't seem well maintained, and the stuff look old. The TV was broken when we arrived and we had to wait until next day to get it fixed. Not to mention the safe box, it is amazing! perhaps nice for an old flea market aficionado, but not sure if you want to keep your personal stuff safe.

In general the staff attitude is not nice. Not smiling, not welcoming, not warm (perhaps is a Washington thing?). It seems they don't enjoy working in that hotel (or working at all). In our 11 days vacations we used 4 hotels between only Holiday In and Holiday In Express, and this was the worse experience! (You can read my other reviews).

1 Thank HIHC
HolidayInnRosslyn, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Rosslyn @ Key Bridge, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Dear HIHC,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We regret to hear that your stay wasn't the best experience. We will take your comments into heavy consideration and try to improve our porperty and service. Thank you again for your candid feedback.

Alameda, California
Reviewed July 11, 2013

If you're looking for a nice place, where you can easily access all tourist DC spots...than this is perfect. It is walking distance to Iwo Jima and Arlington Cemetery, and the hotel is one block from the Metro where you can get anywhere in DC!

The room was spacious, clean, and the parking garage was under 24 hour surveillance. The neighborhood is nice though, and we walked pretty much everywhere. Even into Memorial park. We had a nice view of the river and bridge, and also a nice outdoor terrace.
Would definitely stay here again, or recommend it to someone looking for a place in the area.

3 Thank Anne-Marie C
Dear aauwinger,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn at Rosslyn. We appreciate all of your great comments of our location and ammenities. Please come visit us again the next time you are in the D.C area.