“Real taste of Italy”

Cuisines: Pizza
Arlington, Virginia
“Real taste of Italy”
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Everytime I've come here I've enjoyed my dining experience. The food is authentic and delicious. The prices are reasonable. It's one of the few places in DC/Arlington that really remind me of my study abroad year in Italy.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank 14Jess

Arlington, Virginia
“The Real Pizza Deal”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

There's a reason for the lines out the door of this pizza place in central Arlington: They make fabulous pizza. We've eaten at Pupatella's a few times a month since we discovered it over a year ago. The pizza comes in one size with a thin, crispy crust cooked in a bright-red brick oven imported from Italy. In addition to staple toppings like pepperoni and mushrooms, they offer healthier choices like eggplant and arugula. Their salads are a meal in themselves and seasonal appetizers are great -- fried zucchini blossoms in summer and fried brussels sprouts in balsamic glaze in winter. With a selection of wines and beers and expanded seating outside and next door, they accommodate a larger clientele than formerly. We always go between 5:00 and 6:00 to avoid those long lines and easily find a seat. Their authenticity is acknowledged by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Eclipsegroupie
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
“"To die for" - NOT!”
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Four of us met someone who told us this place was 'to die for'. After I got home and looked up various reviews I was relieved to find people with similar experiences. No, I was not crazy - this place was not all it was cracked up to be according to some of the hype.

The 'to die for' person got a sandwich while the rest of us got pizzas. As with a number of other reviewers, our pizza was also burned on the bottom and not done on top. What's the point of importing a special oven from Italy if you don't know how to use it? Probably the worst pizza I've ever had.

As for the lack of parking - enough said. Even the people who love this place have a problem with that. Our 'to die for' person couldn't find parking and ended up next to 7-11. A rude staff member (more about her later) came over and sniped that if she'd parked there her car would be towed. The response was, 'but your lot is full, where am I supposed to park?' Rude staff member sniped back 'across the street at Safeway'. IS that okay with Safeway? And if so, why don't they have the decency to post it on their front door, like some other establishments in Arlington, such as The Draft House. If we can't park in YOUR tiny lot (a very likely scenario), then tell us where we can rather than interrupting us in the middle of our meal.

Since the four of us riding together arrived first we had no idea what to do - it was our first (and last) time there. There was no greeting, no one telling us to take a seat - nothiing. We just wandered around until we made our way into the 'new dining area' and sat at a table that actually had a sign saying to order from the server or at the counter. We had no menu's, the tables were filthy and we couldn't even find a napkin to wipe it off. No server, or any sort of staff person, for that matter, was anywhere in sight. Finally, one of the group went and dug up ONE menu for us all to 'share'.

No one ever took our order so we eventually went to the counter. We saw other people with glasses but couldn't seem to get our hands on one to save our lives. That was another complaint I saw mentioned. Not eveyone wants to drink out of a bottle, and some of us would actually like some ice. All I really wanted was water, but I guess you only have the choice to buy bottled water as that's what I got (with no glass and no ice).

Miss Snipe did actually bring us our food and when I asked about napkins she said, 'everything is right there'. We were in a circular booth with a toddler at one end and a girl in a cast at the other - which I pointed out. Could she have possibly handed us a few and then POLITELY let us know they were there? Of course not. The girl in the cast hobbled out to let her husband get our napkins and silverware then she moved to the inside so he could get in and out. (I really loved the reveiw that said your meal came with a side order of attitude - right on - must've been the same server!).

As for those fantastic prices, $50 for 3 pizzas ain't so cheap in my book. I saw other reviewers that said the same thing. As one person in our party said, "cheap for Arlington maybe".

As we got up to leave the three of us who had pepperoni pizza were all covered in grease. Since the top of the pizza was nothing but goo you couldn't pick it up or cut it and every time you tried to take a bite you needed a new napkin - apparently we didn't have enough. It was a mess.

I asked another friend from Arlington, and a true pizza lover, if she'd every been there, and surprisingly, she too said she would never go back as she also ran into similar problelms. She is also a person who said she really likes it when a business responds to customer comments - something I did not see from Pupatella - obviously they don't have anyone following the boards or they just think they're too great to worry about it. Wrong. They might actually be able to work on correcting some of the issues brought up by reviewers if they actually read them. As for our group - 'to die for' will be going back without our group of four - we had more than our fill of the 'side order of attitude'. Absolutely no reason to go back for a second helping.

By the way, if anyone in management should actually someday read this, we were there on Friday, August 31, 2012 at just about 1:00pm. It shouldn't be that difficult to figure out who was serving up the 'attitude' if anybody really cares.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Lucinda D
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Tasty fantastic food”
Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Very low key place, don't expect frills. But the food is truly home made and very tasty. We got the seafood salad appetizer, the meatballs, and the margarita pizza. The seafood was very Italian and the meatballs/sauce were super. So was the pizza. Highly recommended except for the atmosphere. The view is the parking lot and the road, which is depressing.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice spot”
Reviewed August 4, 2012 via mobile

Very nice spot..... The location was crowded, with everyone happy to wait. Because everything is cooked fresh wait time is a little high, but how can you complain about that.

One of our pizzas was missing an ingredient but this was quickly rectified. Love the style and the food just be prepared for the wait, it is worth it.