“Striking and Solemn”

36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Striking and Solemn”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Having witnessed the attack on the Pentagon on 9-11, we have a special connection to the people who died there. This very understated memorial pays tribute to them, as well as to the innocent people (including a baby) who died on the hijacked aircraft. Take your time when visiting this memorial. Listen to the quiet stream that runs underneath the benches. Observe the layout of the benches, and read about the significance of the placement of those benches. Above all, never forget the thousands of innocent people who died on that day. Note: There are photography restrictions regarding shots of the nearby Pentagon. They are clearly posted, so if you are upset by such restrictions then don't take a picture of the Pentagon. There are no restrictions about photography of the memorial itself.

Visited February 2012

“Hauntingly Effective”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

9/11 Memorial
At the Pentagon
I am not proficient enough as a writer to express the proper order of words for this experience. Sobering, solemn, sacred, serene, sad, anger, daunting, well conceived, brilliantly designed and engineered, thought provoking, simplistically complex, expertly detailed and many more would apply. Remember to bring your Smart phone and ear pods. Although photos are not allowed you can dial a number and get an audio tour of the sight. It’s well worth it as it explains all the infinite details of its makeup and what each represents. Make the journey if possible.

Visited October 2012
Washington DC, District of Columbia
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Visit if you have time”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

It is not much to look at, but the philosophy of the benches and trees is fascinating. Everyone thinks of New York when they think of 9/11. Important to remember those who died in the Pentagon, too!

Visited April 2012
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
“Visit ends up making for a good story”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

The memorial itself is understated, quiet and serene. There is a solemn feeling about the place. I guess that's all what a memorial should be. The design is a little heavy on abstract concept and a person without rather direct ties to what happened there on 9/11 will probably get more out of their visit by learning more about the memorial than we did before going. We visited about mid-day during bright sunshine and I think that diminished some of the beauty of the benches over water that we could have appreciated had we gone at night.

A big challange to making visits to this site a positive experience for tourists will probably continue to be how the Pentagon wants to manage security here. When we exited the Metro at Pentagon Station, we saw signs at the train-platform and in the parking lot warning against photography (indeed, we saw a woman who had pulled out her camera get reminded of this policy by a gaurd). It's an operating military installation so I get that, no problem. When you get to the actual site, a sign explains that photography IS allowed within the confines of the memorial itself so once we were in, we joined the other tourists in taking pictures. I snapped a few photos of the benches and thought it was interesting that on the main building you could see a seam of difference in color that, I assumed, was a result of repairs made after the 9/11 attack. While standing still clearly within the confines of the memorial I took a few pictures of a spot on the building showing this color difference. I soon learned that this was a mistake. A Pentagon police officer quickly climbed over the hedge seperating the memorial from the parking lot and came to me demanding to know what I was taking pictures of and asking to see my camera. She then told me that I would need to delete any pictures I had taken that showed the building. I told her that I was confused because the sign specifically said that photos taken from within the memorial were allowable. She responded that this was true only if you faced away from the building (it does NOT state this on the sign). While I still didn't understand what I had done wrong, I knew better than to argue, especially since I now noticed that in the background this was all being observed by additional security with automatic weapons! I quickly deleted the pictures and we were left to go our way.

Since that day I've seen on line many tourist's pictures from this memorial shwing the Pentagon--some appearing to have been taken from the same place and angle as I took mine. This would indicate that I had not really ever violated any security policy and had unnecessarily been singled out. Needless to say, this was a rather upsetting experience and definately tainted our visit to the memorial. At least we now have a good story to share!

Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Food for thought”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

It's understated and elegant and gives people time to sit and reflect on how their own lives have changed since 9/11.

Visited April 2012