WINNER WONDERLAND

Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
Ranked #3 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Hamilton, New Jersey
“Gorgeous hotel, outstanding service, great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed one night recently at this lovely hotel in Arlington, Va. My plans were to stay elsewhere, but when I realized that this hotel was directly across the street from another property I had been visiting, I opted to change my plans and check in here.

I walked over at about 10 AM, after breakfast at another hotel. I walked into the Renaissance the night before and it was beautiful. After grabbing a coffee in the lobby and being greeted warmly by the barista, I was happy that I changed plans.

As a lifetime Marriott Platinum member, I am entitled to receive a room upgrade. I was assigned what turned out to be an accessible suite on a higher floor. Problem was, the key didn't work, and I really didn't want an accessible room. A quick call to the front desk brought me keys to another lovely suite, and a couple coupons for free coffee; along with an apology for the keys not working. That's what I like! If there's a small issue, make it right, and extend a small token to make the guest smile!! It worked, and for the cost of a couple of coffees, this hotel has won a new guest!!

My room was very large and featured a nice sitting area, two large, flat screen TVs, a huge marble shower, spacious bathroom area and a comfy king-sized bed. Also, the sofa could open into a sofa bed, and there was a small fridge and lots of closet space.

The room was impeccably clean and everything was properly functioning. My only small quibble was that there really aren't enough easily accessible outlets near the sofa. I don't like to use the desk when I use my laptop, I prefer to be comfortable! No problem, I was able to find a plug behind the couch. I just wish hotels would somehow make plugs easier to find.

Internet was fast (and for me, free-otherwise it's about $12 per day.) No issues here. Also, there is free wifi in the lobby, along with several computers that guests can use.

The lobby itself features the aforementioned coffee shop (with ILLY coffee-excellent!) and a nice bar/restaurant. A few times per week the hotel features live entertainment. This was not the case on my stay so I can't comment here.

I did have both dinner and breakfast (again, due to status, my breakfast was free). The restaurant offers Italian food including fresh, home made pasta. I liked that I was able to get a half order of tagliatelle and meatballs. It wasn't a large portion, but it was perfect for me, and left room for dessert!

Breakfast was a buffet and the food was pretty good. They were making waffles and omelets to order. Also available were the usual offerings: eggs, breakfast meats and potatoes, breads, etc. My only issue here was that the bacon was crisp, but very hard. Difficult to explain, as it wasn't burnt and appeared properly cooked. Oh well, it tasted good.

The hotel offers a free shuttle to Reagan National Airport, and another to the Crystal City metro station. (Alternately you can get the metro at the airport.) It's about a $20 cab ride from Amtrak's Union Station. Parking appeared to be valet only and as I'd taken the train, there was no reason for me to use this service. That being said, I noticed several associates at the door and it seemed that they were eager to serve.

All staff were extremely friendly and the hotel is stunning. I would happily go back and suggest this property to any friends and business associates going to the area. You can be in DC in about 15 minutes or so; there are several places to eat in close walking distance, and you're about 5 minutes from DCA!

All in all, one of my favorite hotels!!

Room Tip: You can see the airport, and likely DC from one side of the hotel.
Green Features: Lots of recycling supplies, as well as bikes which I think are for guests' use in the area.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank cruisermeg
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write an in-depth review of the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel. We're delighted that you decided to stay with us and even more pleased that you will continue to come back to us because of the service. We truly want to create a memorable stay for each of our guests. On a side note, we offer both valet and self-parking at the hotel for our guests. Of course our complimentary shuttle can take you to the Crystal City Metro Station if you want to go into DC for shopping or sightseeing, so you won't really need a car if you stay with us. We hope we'll see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Turkish first
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Very clean nice people helpfully all the time we love this hotel I will never stay any where else when I visit Washington ! The chattel also at the door to take you to the airport . Overall A great stay .

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Thank you for making us your go-to hotel in the DC/Arlington area. We truly appreciate your business and your review.
ernestoc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Took advantage of the rates that were reasonable and the great shuttle services.... Modern, new rooms, a cool green roof garden and choices of lattes on site or one block away! Great service, clean rooms, the Metro shuttle gets you to the tube and the blue line gets you to all of the DC sites! Great selection of restaurants in the crystal city area and the hotel has good in room dinning. When you're done the other shuttle will drop you off at the airport! We felt the love...!

Room Tip: The free shuttle it's worth the stay here!
Green Features: We used the recycling bags and the roof top garden is a cool idea!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ernestoc94
I am delighted that you felt the love while you were staying with us! Thank you for choosing us and for taking the time to tell others about the hotel. We hope you will return for another visit soon.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

The room comes with a great view of the airport and luckily you are far enough away you can't hear any jets. Bad news the CSX and Amtrax Trains run often enough to keep most guests awake for hours. So I managed to my way down to the lobby bar for a single malt scotch, the bar tender was kind enough to tell me how much a shot of my favorite 18 y/o was - shocked by the price - I ordered someone I did not want. I could have almost purchased the entire bottle at any store for the price they were charging. I don't mind paying for quality and excellent service but the price was way out of control. Dinner prices were the same way. I ordered two appetizers - one order was hot and the other warm. Small portions for the price. Tasty food but not what I would call great. For the money alone, I would never stay here again. The price of the room came with trains that kept me from getting a good night sleep and the view never could make up for the difference. The was clean and orderly with no odor of smoke or anything else. Ipod compatible clock radio bedside as well as all the necessary features. My room refrigerator was warm and I could not get it colder for my beverages. Highly disappointing stay.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jim W
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
It would certainly seem that the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel did not meet your expectations and for this I sincerely apologize. While it is true that we are located next to the DCA airport and there are trains that run parallel to our hotel, it is extremely rare that we receive complaints from our guests about the noise. We certainly would never want our guests to lose sleep during their stay and, if a guest finds their guestroom uncomfortable, we would be more than happy to find one that is more to their liking. We also appreciate your patronage at our hotel's lounge. We have done extensive research regarding our menu pricing and have found that we are in line with competitive hotels in the area and have received rave reviews for both our appetizers and entrees. It is never our goal to have guests leave our hotel with a feeling of disappointment and are saddened that you will not consider us for another stay. We do, however, appreciate your feedback. We will continue to strive to be the best hotel in the DC area.
Taylorsville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

My family and I stayed here for a 3 nights over Labor Day weekend. We arrived late and valet attendants did an excellent job at assisting us in unpacking. We were stunned when walking into the lobby, very modern and over the top. The lady that checked us in was very welcoming and even offered to walk us to the elevator, which I thought was a nice touch.

We were upgraded to a room with a view of the airport/ Capital, which I recommend. The room was very spacious and very well decorated. The cleanliness of the room was great besides the dust on top of the headboard. Beds were comfortable with Simmons Beautyrest mattress and down duvet. The only negative with the beds is that the hotel website states that they had featherbeds which was not true, it was a thin cotton topper. I am a elite member with Marriott and this isn't the first time that this info has been mis stated on the website for a Marriott property. Not sure if this is the hotel responsibility or corporate but the issue needs to be address. Housekeeping did a great job and was very friendly.There was an issue with the coffee maker in one of my family's room on the second morning. It started smoking and appeared to be getting ready to catch on fire. They quickly unplugged it and everything was fine, but the smell that was left in the room was horrible. Front desk was able to get them switched to another room, but no compensation for the inconvenience.

The hotels restaurant Socci was great. We ate there for lunch and tried the breakfast buffet one morning. Also we ordered room service and it was delivered hot and fresh. I would definitely recommend eating at Socci.

The hotel offers a complementary shuttle with pick up and drop off at the metro station, this was very convenient for traveling into DC for site seeing. The lady driving in the morning was friendly and a safe driver. She offered us a map for the metro that was very helpful.

Overall we enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel. We will be sure to stay here next time we visit the DC area.

Stayed August 2013
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am also pleased to announce that since our communication via e-mail, we have been able to correct the information on our website so that it no longer lists featherbeds being avaialable in our guest rooms. We appreciate your thoughtfulness to let us know about the error and hope the next time your in the Crystal City area, you will remember us and come for another stay.
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the weekend and enjoyed. Customer service, rooms, and fitness/pool where all very good. Kids enjoyed the indoor pool. Great lobby and bar area...restaurant is there but we ate out each night on the go. I would stay here again!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
It makes us so happy when guests announce that they would stay with us again! Thank you for letting us take care of you and your family while you were in the DC area. We look forward to your next visit.
Bergen, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Beautiful hotel and comfortable stay. Decor is so modern and everything is so new. Excellent fitness room, small pool. 4 Apple computer stations set up in the lobby. Expensive dining room service, but there is a cafe Illy bar for a quick bite.

We had a tough time finding the hotel, but it is the right behind the Marriott courtyard on 27th street exit on the Jeff Davis highway. Not much to desire in terms of location, it is surrounded by other huge hotels and highways. Drive to 23rd street restaurant row for plenty of options.

They do have $24 daily parking fee, but it is negotiable - wierd!! I saw a parking sign across the street for $10 or $16, and I asked the front desk. They said they will match it, then since I am an elite member, they say they will give me free parking. Awesome!!!!!

The do have a shuttle to the capital city metro, but we did not use it. Driving into DC is soooooo convenient, maybe 10 min.

Room Tip: Ask for high floors facing the airport and river.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Jerry C, General Manager at Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel for your stay. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope you'll be back soon.