“Very Nice Hotel.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brandon, Florida
“Very Nice Hotel.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Stayed here Monday through Friday for work in DC; could not find anything in China Town. The hotel provides free shuttle to airport and Crystal City metro stop. The shuttle runs about every 25 minutes making stops at another Marriott (I think is a Residence Inn) and on 23rd street for guests wanting to go to the restaurants. The Crystal City metro stop is serviced by the blue and yellow lines. My hotel view was the Reagan National. It was kind of nice to see airplanes taking off and landing all the time. You will NOT hear the planes, though!

I had a pleasant stay and was very satisfied with the service. However, due to location, I don't think I'd stay here again. Staying in D.C. (China Town) is more convenient. If not Crystal City. There is a Marriott right at the Crystal City metro stop!

Room Tip: I would not be too concerned about having a room facing the airport. You will NOT hear the planes.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Turkish first
Davidson, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Just spent 4 nights for a conference with one day of sightseeing prior to the meeting. Free shuttle fron Reagan National and drop off/ pick up at closest Metro stop. All employes, no matter the category, we're uniformly friendly, helpful and eager to meet the needs of guests. Special kudos to the guest desk staff, the bellmen and everyone located in the lobby. Rooms were modern, clean and very comfortable. Internet access was fast and easy to access (free to Elite Marriott rewards members-I don't know about for others). The Executive lounge is attractive with nice view. Breakfast was rather routine with the same scrambled eggs every morning ( most lounges offer different hot choice each day), good fruit selection, very good coffee and tea selection, and god breads. Evening drink offers for a fee with nice choices and different snacks each evening. Staff was quite helpful and pleasant. Would definitely rate this one of the best Renaissance Hotels I have stayed in. For tourists to the DC area, easy Metro access to major sights and lots of restaurants in the area. Delightful stay

Room Tip: Ask for airport or opposite view depending on your choice
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

What an amazing hotel! Very extravagant yet welcoming at the same time. The room was wonderful and extremely spacious. The bathroom was beautiful and the décor in the room was eclectic. Had to pay for parking but that was expected given the vicinity. The business center was extremely helpful as well. I would definitely stay here again, thank you for a wonderful stay!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Had a terrible 3 days minding my own issues in Arlington & needed a clean & nice place to stay to make it up for myself. I arrived very early in the morning (I am a platinum member at the Marriott Elite program so, I am entitled to check in early & check out late), The cheerful lady, Ms. Evelyn, went out of her way to get me the type of room I prefer & to offer me water & whatever may satisfy me. This was my 4th stay at this beautiful & chic-trendy hotel but it was the best ever. The hotel is very clean, well located. The bathroom is quite relaxing & the bed is a Renaissance bed, the most comfortable. The breakfast is one of the best in Arlington & the service is excellent every where in the hotel. The only criticism I have I have is regarding Illy's cafe at the hotel, very pricy comparing to other Illy's DT DC with less product. I realized that they have a different management at every Illy's and different rules! Thank you Evelyn & a I don't want to forget to thank Ms. Leris, who checked me out nicely & cheerfully too.

Room Tip: I am a heavy sleeper so nothing bothers me!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank zalfa A
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2012

Renaissance was a great hotel! It was everything expected, but also more than clean and comfortable. The atmosphere was welcoming, the staff was dedicated, helpful and warm, the decor was much better than you can see from the photos and everything was perfect. The view from the rooms was beautiful. A beautiful hotel near a beautiful city.

If you are planning on visiting Washington D.C. you would need a car or some transportation even though Arlington is close to the city. The food in the Renaissance restaurant was good, but it is pricy for more than a few times, so you should plan on where you are going to eat before you arrive.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
EastCoast, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We got off to a rough start with this hotel… we booked it via a travel website and received confirmation for a non-smoking room with a king size bed. When we arrived, the staff at the front desk tried to put us in a room with two small beds instead of the king size we had reserved. After some discussion, in which we were told that because we hadn’t booked directly with the hotel, we were not guaranteed to get the room we reserved… they finally relented and agreed to give us a room with a king sized bed. This sort of behavior from the front desk staff is the type of thing that gives this beautiful hotel a reputation for poor service.
Once we made it through the check in process and made our way to our room, we were pleased to find a relatively new hotel that is beautifully decorated in the hallways and publice areas. And the room we had was gorgeous… very modern in regard to room decorations and very clean with a bed and pillows that were very comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful- a walk-in shower instead of the near ubiquitous tub/shower/shower curtain set up. I’m relatively tall, so for me, it was a very nice to have a walk-in shower instead of the normal cramped shower/tub combination.

However, we quickly discovered that there is no way to call the front desk… dialing 0 doesn’t get you the front desk and there is no autodial button on the phone that allows you to reach the front desk. Instead, there is an autodial button for Room Service and you have to call “room service” and have them transfer you to the front desk. Very odd and very inconvenient.

The lobby and the lobby bar are very nice and have a very modern feel. Pleasant if you like that sort of thing, not pleasant if you’re more of a B&B type of person. The lobby is ultra-modern and visually interesting, but it’s noisy, with a piped in muzak-hip-hop sound track blaring until late in the night. Depending on your situation, it could be seen as a good place to hang out. It was interesting if you like night club décor, but we didn’t stay for long. As the old saying goes, there wasn’t much there there and after a few minutes, the music became a bit annoying.

The parking situation at the hotel is a bit of a trap. In order to park, you have to use the hotel room “key card” to enter and exit the parking garage. For this privilege, you’ll pay around $22 per night for “self-park” and $27 + tip for valet parking. There is no parking on the street so you have no choice but to pay this additional fee if you drive to the hotel in your own vehicle or rental car.

The hotel is in Crystal City/Arlington, near to DC and Ronald Reagan airport... but to get to almost anything, you’ll need to drive or use the hotel shuttle. Even though you would think the hotel’s location is good when looking at a Google map, the location of the hotel is not great for being able to get to restaurants and other amenities, so plan on driving or arranging transportation for just about anything you might want to do. This is not a location that is convenient for walking.

And something you take for granted until it’s not there… there is no free breakfast at the hotel, not even something as simple as bagels or donuts. And the restaurant in the hotel is expensive, a bit slow and really not that good. All food prices seem inflated to ridiculous levels.

Also, internet access is not included in the cost of the room and you have to pay extra for “normal” internet access and even more for “fast” internet access (although another guest told me there were computers in the lobby that could be used to access the internet with no extra charge). If I recall correctly, the “normal” internet service was about $12 a night and the “fast” internet service was around $16 per night. It seems really strange for a hotel of this caliber to charge for wi-fi internet access… much less to have a two tier fee structure for internet access. I rely on wi-fi when I’m on the road, so this was a real annoyance.

To sum up, the interior of this hotel is very nice. And although I’ve read many complaints regarding the noise levels in this hotel, we had no problem at all. Maybe just a lucky break, but our room was very quiet and we got a good night’s sleep. True, the views are not good, and from what I could tell, they would not be good from any room, although the view from the upper floors might be preferable. But overall, a very nice hotel that needs to focus as much on customer service as it has on appearance.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
2 Thank EastC0ast9
Northern Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Enjoyed this hotel with family on quick tour of Washington D.C. area pre-Cherry Blossom Festival, March 2012. The breakfast add-on was fabulous idea-- best breakfast deal going...5 star start to the day. Location was fine. Hotel Shuttle van was adequate. Friendly staff. Close to 23rd Street, so plenty of dining options. We got a great rate, so first D.C. experience was fantastic thanks to this hotel option.

Room Tip: View of capitol nice...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family