“Newest, Nicest Marriott in Crystal City” 5 of 5 stars

Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Newest, Nicest Marriott in Crystal City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

This is a very new hotel at the south end of Crystal City. We spent a weekend there and had a great time. I saw the comments below regarding poor performance from the staff, but I cannot agree. My experience was that everyone on staff that I encountered was professional and very courteous. My only minor complaint was that there were no towels in the workout room in the morning. Next time I'm up in the area for business this hotel will be my first choice.

• 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Turkish first
PNS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

Great stay in Crystal City. New, Clean, Modern.....no bad things to say about the place. Shuttle van to and from the airport (DCA) as well as the nearest Metro station (Crystal City Station). I would highly recommend this hotel for those looking to do business in the area or even staying just outside the DC area and looking to do the tourist thing. I would even say this is a great place for a romantic stay as well as the rooms are very nice and modern.
Several eateries nearby either in Crystal City walking distance... or 2 Metro stations away on King Street. Bottom line.. if you are going to stay close to the airport and are looking into this area... Stay here, you will not be disappointed.
Nice work out area as well.

Room Tip: of course the higher the floor the less ground noise.... Train tracks are close by, but I did not n...
Flemington, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The place and installations are very nice and modern and tastefully decorated, however the devil is in the details...

- Got a hair in my wifes food. We didn't complain just pointed it out. They didn't do much about it. Not even offered to take it off the bill. The hair was baked into the pizza crust so it is not like it fell on top of it afterward.
- Dried blood on my sheets, I tossed them aside , and they never brough new ones.
- The hotel key lets you in and out of the parking lot. MIne didn't work and they never answered the help phone line. I had to back up and get it fixed.
- The girls upstairs decided to yell and laugh all night and you can hear their conversations very clearly. I feel like I know them now. This one I did call for security to ask them to be quiet and they did nothing.

Bottom line. Nice place, poorly managed. The waiters and front desk people are nice but they are not being managed right. I feel it is the management that does not set the right example or expectations that is the issue.

Will not chose this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank cialeto
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for a one night stay. My DH has platinum status with Marriott. It was myself, DH and our 2 boys (8&5). It is in a really neat part of town. Shuttle service to the Metro adn airport. Airport is less than a mile. The hotel is new and very very modern. The boys and I checked in on our own. I chose to park the car first ($20/day). When you get off the elevator you are right in the middle of a very busy part of the lobby. If you didn't know better it would be tricky to figure out where the check in desk is. Its small and has 2 people behind a desk that is almost hidden by a big pole. There were 8 iMac's available for free to use in the lobby. Nice touch.

Here is my biggest "con" of this hotel. After checking, and getting my kids settled in for the night, I heard a lot of noise coming from the air vent in the room. Not mechanical noise but voices. Distinct and clear and LOUD! One of my kids were in the bath and they had already changed. (DH was in a meeting). When room service arrived, I asked the gentleman if it was normal for me to hear, he said no. I wasn't feeling up to changing rooms at this point and thought it would get quiet as the night wore on. Well it didn't. I will say up front, I wish I had changed rooms from the beginning. By 9:30pm the talking became singing and shouting and it was keeping my kids awake. I called the front desk and they made me feel like i was crazy. I told him I realize there was a group of college students staying here but why should i hear their voices through the vent! He said it was normal. REALLY! NORMAL? Not sure if it was normal for a new hotel. He said he would send maintenance up with a cover for it to muffle out the noise. Well that turned out to be duct tape. haha. The maintenance man even said it wasn't normal. i called the front desk again, and at first was made to feel stupid but made it clear that I know I could move rooms but at this point one of my kids had fallen asleep and the other one was having a hard time. I think he enjoyed this fiasco. Finally he said he would send security to look into. Happy to say that within 5 minutes the issue was resolved. I just wish front desk wouldn't have treated me like i was stupid and crazy. Would it prevent me from staying here again, probably not. I might try out the Residence Inn next door. We got a price of $99 a night so its hard to beat. Its just not the typical service you receive at a Marriott.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night with our son. The hotel was clean and room was nice. We loved having a refrigerater in room (especialy with bottles). The bed and sheets were very comfortable. They have a nice restaurant in the hotel as well as room service. There was some noise in the hallway at night time, but I believe it was due to a group that was there for a wedding that made some noise entering the suite near our room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank hksjjm
Edmond, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

The whole reason I booked this hotel was because of the pictures I saw online of it's ultra modern decor. When we arrived to check in, the girl at the front desk told us that they were overbooked (even though I had just received a confirmation email the night before) and that they were "upgrading us" to a suite at the Residence Inn next door. I was less than pleased. We looked at the room, which had a full-kitchen (I had no intention of cooking on my vacation) and was a bit larger but the amenities were less, especially the bathroom. We told them we would think about it, went outside to call the nearby Renaissance at DuPont circle to see if they had availability, which they did. When we walked back inside and talked to the girl we were dealing with before, we told her that we weren't interested in the Residence Inn and that they could just transfer our reservation to the other hotel downtown. At this point, a manager or someone intervened and said, "Oh, there's been a misunderstanding, we have rooms available. Your room is ready and have a nice stay." I was flabbergasted. I assume the girl who we originally talked to had been coached to say that they were booked but then to turn around and basically say "Oh we lied, we have rooms" really pissed me off. I paid to stay at a Renaissance and I make careful choices at the places I book. The room was lovely; everything I expected. However, the timing of our stay was unfortunate. On St. Patrick's Day, there was a conference for about a thousand Syrian nationals forming a protest early that morning outside our hotel and then the conference continued that night and the hotel lobby was a mess. People were staying with their children and just letting them run amuck. The Mac's in the lobby were NEVER available because kids were on them for hours at a time. The elevators (there were 3) never seemed to be available because people would just hold them open and they were always crowded. We stayed 3/16-3/19 and Sunday the 18th and Monday morning were blissful because the majority of people had checked out.
Overall the hotel was lovely, but the front desk staff was just rude and unhelpful. The valet and bar staff were fabulous. Carl was the metro shuttle operator and he was fantastic!

Room Tip: Don't book a stay if there is a scheduled conference for 1000+ Syrians!
Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here for one night as I had meetings in Virginia. The hotel is very new with a bright and airy feel and very contemporary decor. The folks I encountered at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. A staff member was assisting another guest with check in and almost immediately another staff person appeared to assist me. Check in was extremely fast and efficient. I arrived at the hotel around 5:00pm and was surprised to see housekeeping still cleaning rooms when I went to my room. In fact, right after I went into my room there was a tap at the door and then someone from housekeeping was opening the door. Upon seeing me, she apologized and said she didn't realize the room had already been cleaned. The hotel is a few blocks from the stores and restaurants of Crystal City. In nice weather it would probably be a nice little walk. The hotel does provide shuttle service to the Crystal City Metro stop and they also provide shuttle service to Reagan National Airport. I took the airport shuttle service both ways and while I appreciate the convenience, it did run rather slow. The airport shuttle service also stops at several other nearby Marriott Properties, including a Residence Inn which is apparently connected to the Renaissance. The hotel has one of the best fitness centers I've seen at any hotel. In addition to a number of treadmills and eliptical machines, there were other machines (including leg press, leg curl, leg extension, lat machine, smith machine), several benches, bosu balls and numerous free weights to let you get a gym quality work out. My only complaint about my stay was that there were no washclothes in the bathroom in my room, which I only discovered as I was about to step into the shower. What I thought was a stack of wash clothes turned out to be a stack of hand towels so I had to improvise. Despite the very minor annoyances with the shuttle and the bath linens, all in all I enjoyed my stay and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business