“Lovely Hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
MD
“Lovely Hotel”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We stayed here for one night with our son. The hotel was clean and room was nice. We loved having a refrigerater in room (especialy with bottles). The bed and sheets were very comfortable. They have a nice restaurant in the hotel as well as room service. There was some noise in the hallway at night time, but I believe it was due to a group that was there for a wedding that made some noise entering the suite near our room.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank hksjjm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Edmond, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 25, 2012

The whole reason I booked this hotel was because of the pictures I saw online of it's ultra modern decor. When we arrived to check in, the girl at the front desk told us that they were overbooked (even though I had just received a confirmation email the night before) and that they were "upgrading us" to a suite at the Residence Inn next door. I was less than pleased. We looked at the room, which had a full-kitchen (I had no intention of cooking on my vacation) and was a bit larger but the amenities were less, especially the bathroom. We told them we would think about it, went outside to call the nearby Renaissance at DuPont circle to see if they had availability, which they did. When we walked back inside and talked to the girl we were dealing with before, we told her that we weren't interested in the Residence Inn and that they could just transfer our reservation to the other hotel downtown. At this point, a manager or someone intervened and said, "Oh, there's been a misunderstanding, we have rooms available. Your room is ready and have a nice stay." I was flabbergasted. I assume the girl who we originally talked to had been coached to say that they were booked but then to turn around and basically say "Oh we lied, we have rooms" really pissed me off. I paid to stay at a Renaissance and I make careful choices at the places I book. The room was lovely; everything I expected. However, the timing of our stay was unfortunate. On St. Patrick's Day, there was a conference for about a thousand Syrian nationals forming a protest early that morning outside our hotel and then the conference continued that night and the hotel lobby was a mess. People were staying with their children and just letting them run amuck. The Mac's in the lobby were NEVER available because kids were on them for hours at a time. The elevators (there were 3) never seemed to be available because people would just hold them open and they were always crowded. We stayed 3/16-3/19 and Sunday the 18th and Monday morning were blissful because the majority of people had checked out.
Overall the hotel was lovely, but the front desk staff was just rude and unhelpful. The valet and bar staff were fabulous. Carl was the metro shuttle operator and he was fantastic!

Room Tip: Don't book a stay if there is a scheduled conference for 1000+ Syrians!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed March 15, 2012

I stayed here for one night as I had meetings in Virginia. The hotel is very new with a bright and airy feel and very contemporary decor. The folks I encountered at the front desk were very friendly and helpful. A staff member was assisting another guest with check in and almost immediately another staff person appeared to assist me. Check in was extremely fast and efficient. I arrived at the hotel around 5:00pm and was surprised to see housekeeping still cleaning rooms when I went to my room. In fact, right after I went into my room there was a tap at the door and then someone from housekeeping was opening the door. Upon seeing me, she apologized and said she didn't realize the room had already been cleaned. The hotel is a few blocks from the stores and restaurants of Crystal City. In nice weather it would probably be a nice little walk. The hotel does provide shuttle service to the Crystal City Metro stop and they also provide shuttle service to Reagan National Airport. I took the airport shuttle service both ways and while I appreciate the convenience, it did run rather slow. The airport shuttle service also stops at several other nearby Marriott Properties, including a Residence Inn which is apparently connected to the Renaissance. The hotel has one of the best fitness centers I've seen at any hotel. In addition to a number of treadmills and eliptical machines, there were other machines (including leg press, leg curl, leg extension, lat machine, smith machine), several benches, bosu balls and numerous free weights to let you get a gym quality work out. My only complaint about my stay was that there were no washclothes in the bathroom in my room, which I only discovered as I was about to step into the shower. What I thought was a stack of wash clothes turned out to be a stack of hand towels so I had to improvise. Despite the very minor annoyances with the shuttle and the bath linens, all in all I enjoyed my stay and would definately stay here again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I came for a conference. The room was lovely, and the bed was absolutely amazing (I'm ordering some of the pillows from their website!). There was a refrigerator in the room, which is a rarity in higher-end hotels. I heard very little noise from outside the hotel, or from the hallway, but the walls between the rooms seem to be thin. When I was in the bathroom at the same time as my neighbor, I could hear EVERYTHING. Otherwise, though, the rooms were very well thought-out: lots of plugs near the bed, an alarm clock/ipod dock, a very good restaurant with fairly reasonable prices, and very nice meeting spaces. It was a comfortable place for a meeting, and had all the conveniences and amenities to make my stay pleasant.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed March 7, 2012

The shuttle from the airport was wonderful! But the lobby is very loud and modern decor is really not inviting or comfortable. When I arrived after 4 pm, my king sized bed was not available (not yet cleaned?) but I was offered 2 double beds on a very quiet floor. Went back to the loud, uncomfortable lobby to use the free internet service, but there are no plugs if you want to use your own laptop. I couldn't get their airline ticket to print out my return boarding pass. My room did not get cleaned. There was a coffee maker in the room, but only one cup of caffeinated coffee for a room with 2 double beds. And the people in the room next to mine were so loud I had to call security - at 3 am. Breakfast - granola with yogurt - was a tiny bit of yogurt with way too much granola, sprinkled with a few berries. And for something that didn't require preparation, I waited far too long. Suffice it to say, this was not a great Renaissance experience. Until I got back on the shuttle to the airport. The driver was extremely kind and gracious, and put a smile back on my face!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank WorkingMomIndy
Columbus, OH
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Stayed here while attending an AMA seminar, great hotel. Super updated, I had no issues with check in, walked right in to the stand, had everything all ready including the cards. The room was nicely updated, nice bed. I love the walk in showers, it was as spacious as the one at home. One thing was, I couldn't get the room to get THAT cold, who knows if that was user error though. Nice added point, the alarm clocks are the iphone docks and you can change the brightness, it's the little things :) . Overall great location, I never had an issue with outside sound. If you want a clean, very well updated place to stay while on business, it's a great choice.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 4, 2012

From the time I arrived no one greeted me at the door, there was no one working at the bell stand, and when i saw someone as i waited by the bell stand he signaled me to come toward him. I did not, I told him to come to me so I can check my bags so i could go to the bar. Went to the bar, and the guy even after seeing my ID was looking at me as though I am not good enough for his bar. I am 30 years old, and well dressed and a rewards member. Once I left the bar to proceed to the front desk, the agent did not acknowledge my Rewards status or confirm any of my special request until I said something. Went up to the room and waited and waited and waited for the bags and finally almost tired of waiting I finally called DTS and I said to her, "Im ****** **************, I don't know my room number, but i need my bags." I was calling from the hotel room phone. I asked here do you know who this is? She said, "yes, now what can I do for you?" Thins was said very rudely and never even attempted to call me by name or anything. So, 1 hour later bags finally arrive, not even an apology and the guy actually waited a few seconds as though I should tip him. We showered and came to the bar area again, me and my friend went to the host stand and no one there. Finally once seated We ordered a mojito, and 15 minutes later came back to say they are out. Come on, give us options! I told the server, me and my friend are going somewhere else. he responded, "oh, ok." and walked away. RUDE! Keeps going, I would rather stay at an average older hotel with warm staff than a beautiful hotel with people working in it acting like they don't care about their jobs or their customers.

Room Tip: Make sure the hotel doesn't have tons of cheerleaders there the same weekend.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo