“Not as good as the Residence Inn next door”

Renaissance Arlington Capital View Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Los Angeles, California
“Not as good as the Residence Inn next door”
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Just weeks after staying at the Residence Inn Capital View in Arlington (see my other review in which I rated that hotel most highly), I returned to the DC area and decided to try out their sister hotel next door. The two hotels are in fact in the same building and you can get from one to the other without going outside. Residence Inn and Renaissance are both Marriott brands and both of these hotels are called "Capital View", which can be a bit confusing.

The decor of the Arlington Renaissance is absolutely stunning. A modern glamour look done right. It probably helps that Marriott's headquarters are just on the other side of Washington DC and that this hotel is brand new, giving it a bit of a flagship character for the Renaissance brand. The conference facilities are first class, the lobby is super cool and is filled with a lounge-y (somewhat loud) sound track until late in the night. A good place to hang out.

Unfortunately, the Renaissance side of the building does not fulfill the function of a hotel half as well as the Residence Inn side. That is because the architect made a major mistake, cladding the Renaissance side in metal while the other side is brick (see photos). As a result of this design decision, you get huge widows but sub-standard sound insulation. There is a train track right in front of the building, and while you practically don't hear that in the Residence Inn rooms, you will have a hard time sleeping on the Renaissance side. It was an absolutely cardinal mistake to put a metal sheeting on a building in front of a train track, and to use windows this large. You will be sitting upright in your bed a few times each night if you are in the metal part of the building and facing the tracks, even on a high floor.

This is just too bad since the rooms are otherwise quite nice, albeit small. If you are an Elite member, you get access to the lounge on the top floor (see pictures), pretty much the only place in the hotel that really has a "Capital View" (hint: its a tiny spec of white in the background).

The staff at the hotel is mostly new and not trained as well as at most other Marriott properties. There were several glitches during my stay that puzzled me, quite definite management deficits. For example, the hotel sends you a welcome message from their "Elite Ambassador" prior to your arrival, but any response to that email address will in fact only be read when that one person who sent it returns to duty - which may be days later. Of course there should be a common email address by job function from which these emails are sent, so that they are attended to immediately.

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost the part of the building that is clad in metal - yes you get huge windows, but the...
1 Thank DrMichaelF

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Amherst, New Hampshire
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Overall stay was great...room service was ok, could have done better. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2011
virginia
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Just stayed overnight at this hotel and must say that it was quiet and very clean. Couldn't decide upon this hotel or the hilton in shirlington. Don't regret choosing this one. I don't think many people were staying here over the Thanksgiving week--that was a huge plus and what I was seeking for. I can see why it could be a busy hotel because it's in crystal city and you can hear trash pick up in the morning. The lady at the front desk was very polite and they were nice to give us a king corner room on fifth floor. I do agree with all the other reviews that the room is very small but it was clean and very updated. The shower stalls were beautiful and everything was immaculate. We used the parking garage and paid $22 per/night but we didn't mind since we had a good rate with breakfast included. My husband ordered french toast which was the best we ever had!!! I would definitely recommend this hotel...as long as it is not crowded and not on a weekday.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
MichiganUSA
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This hotel has an interesting and unique decor in the lobby and rooms which is unusual but pleasant. My room was very comfortable and the bed excellent. What was outstanding however, was the service. Staff worked very hard to make sure that every need was met and there were plenty of staff available to assist, including a great recommendation for evening sightseeing after my meeting. I was especially impressed that the hotel followed up on a comment I made on their evaluation survey by sending me the chocolate bar I commented I couldn't find in the lobby shop. Follow through like that is unusual even at higher end hotels. Well worth the stay--especially for a business trip.

Dallas
Reviewed November 23, 2011

This is a brand new Renaissance hotel. It is very clean and has a modern decor. Rooms are smallish but efficient and are very nicely finished out. Feels like a new European hotel. Shower stalls with no tubs, which is terrific. The lobby was lively on the Thursday night I stayed at the property. The restuarant in the lobby is good. Good by the glass wine list. The Illy coffee bar in the lobby is great (notwithstanding the surly service). Wish more hotels would opt for Illy over the standard Starbucks.

Overall, a great hotel of you need to be in Arlington or close to Reagan.

• Stayed November 2011
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed November 19, 2011

New Marriott (opened in early 2011) practically walking distance from Reagan National Airport. Lobby has a youthful and trendy vibe without feeling pretentious - caught me by surprise when I walked in. Room was quiet and comfortane and gave me the good night's sleep I now expect from Marriott. I was impressed with the fitness center ... hotels that give me more than a treadmill and a few dumbells will always get me back. Although the location is almost a mile from the Metro station (not a bad walk when the weather is nice), a van heads there every 20 minutes. I visit the Arlington area frequently and may very well become a regular.

Massachusetts
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Stayed here for the Marine Corps Marathon, Saturday October 29th. The rate was very reasonable, around 140. Once I arrived, I felt that for such a nice hotel, it must have been a teaser rate to get you to try it. This hotel is twinned with a Residence Inn, and is so new it is not on the map. The lobby decor for both hotels whimsical and contemporary. The check in process was fine, they set us up for late check out without a problem. Self parked under the hotel, $22 a day. Bell staff was really nice. The rooms were magnificent. Spotlessly clean, beautiful decor, lovely toiletries, amazingly comfortable beds. The only problem during our stay was a broken elevator in the garage, which really was inconvenient. Since my son was a wheelchair user, we had to find our way to the other elevator in the garage, quite a hike over to the other hotel side. (hence noticing the decor of the Residence Inn lobby) It also took a really long time for the staff to even get a sign on the broken elevator, we noticed lots of other guests trying to use it, and we had help direct them. SInce the hotel is so new, I think there might be a learning curve on staff training, however, the friendliness of everyone we encountered was top notch. If this was a more expensive room, maybe I wouldn't be quite so effusive about my praise of the hotel, but at the rate we paid it was just wonderful.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family