“Amazing Hotel - great service”

Residence Inn Arlington Capital View
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Enough cannot be said about how perfect this hotel is. The facilities and rooms are very well kept and comfortable. The price exceptional for the amenities. Having stayed at many hotels that offer a free breakfast I can honestly say this is one of the best. The hot food varies every day and very good. It's pretty busy in the morning but there's always a place to sit and the staff are constantly refilling each station and keeping things clean and tidy.

During our visit my son had some health issues and the staff were more than responsive to our needs and went out of their way to inquire about how my son was doing. Truly a gold star for service from everyone and at every time of day.

An unexpected bonus was being able to sit at the breakfast area anytime of day. When traveling with a large family it's hard to find a place where everyone can congregate and the breakfast area provided us with a great location to have takeout lunch (go to kebab place down street). The pool even had a life guard.

Would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone and cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that faces airport.
1  Thank partyoffiveCt
Jerry C, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

We are grateful for your recommendations and thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View. We will certainly look forward to seeing you again and we'll have that hot breakfast ready for you to enjoy.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

We were in Arlington for only a couple of nights to go to a football game and picked this hotel because it was close to the Crystal City Sports Bar, where we were catching a shuttle to and from the game. The hotel is new and relatively functional in design and décor - BUT the place was spotless, the bed was super comfortable, and we were really pleased with the quality of the hotel gym - good equipment and weights, well laid-out, very clean, well-maintained. We made good use of it. We had to go a little further afield to find anything good to eat, as the restaurant in the next hotel over was awful (Italian theme, don't recall the name, tried to forget), but that wasn't a concern for us. Staff were lovely and helpful. We'd definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for selecting us for your stay. Isn't it wonderful to know that you can go out and have a great time with friends and family and feel great about coming back to us to unwind, rest and relax? We'll provide the warmth, the peace and quiet, and all the creature comforts you could want or need and you can focus on the fun. And yeah, our fitness center rocks! The next time you come, take our complimentary shuttle down to "Restaurant Row" on 23rd Street. We'll drop you off and then pick you up on the return. There's plenty of dining choices available there that will appease even the pickiest of eaters. I hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

I stayed 5 nights at this hotel in December 2013. I used their free shuttle to/from the DCA airport and their very convenient shuttle to/from the Crystal City metro station that ran every 20 minutes. The room was very comfortable and quiet. They also have a breakfast buffet and newspapers for free. The staff is friendly and helpful. The whole ambiance is just great. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Chantal B

Thank you for referring to our hotel as a "gem in Arlington". We feel the same way and we are proud to serve our guests with the best in guest service and with a warm, friendly smile. Thank you for spreading the word to other TripAdvisor users.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We live 90 miles from D.C. and wanted to visit some of the National Harbor attractions for my wife and 9 year old son and stayed here for a weekend getaway. Gabriel, the front desk attendant was exceptionally accommodating and genuinely concerned about our stay. The room while a little small was clean and well maintained. I would rate the room 5 stars out of 5 even considering the somewhat small size.

The indoor pool is small, not heated and is shared with the occupants of another hotel, so it gets pretty crowded. The pool is SEVERELY OVER CHLORINATED. Our eyes were still burning approximately 24 hours later from the chlorine in the pool. As avid swimmers, this is the first time that we experienced eye problems while swimming.

The breakfast was included with the room and is the typical breakfast for hotels in the United States. It appears that occupants of another hotel also share the breakfast facilities of this hotel so overcrowding and finding adequate seating is a problem. On Sunday morning, I noticed the restaurant supervisor mangling the hash browns to make them stretch further given the crowd size. The hash browns appeared similar to the ones that you buy in the frozen section of a supermarket and that you warm up in a toaster. In other words pretty similar to the McDonalds hash brown patties.

The hotel charges $24 day for parking, so any cost savings you incur in the room price will certainly be recouped by the parking fees. Buyer beware, as a frequent visitor to the D.C. area for business, $10 - $12 per day is our experience for the area. There is limited street parking available, which we availed of. However, on checkout, I went to retrieve our vehicle that was parked about 1/3 mile away during a thunderstorm. I asked the front desk clerk (Shawnic Brooks) for an umbrella but she stated that they did not have any to loan out or that they loaned them all out and they weren't returned. She did state that I could buy an umbrella for $15, $20 and $25 from their umbrella stand in the front lobby. I refused to pay an exceptionally high price for the same umbrella's that you could buy at 5Below for $5 or less, plus I already had 3 umbrellas in my vehicle. After retrieving my vehicle during the downpour, and soaking wet, I soon realized that this hotel has no covered passenger loading and unloading facilities. Upon returning I asked if there were a covered facility to load our luggage without getting drenched. The 2 front desk clerks Reza Bahrani (not sure if he was an actual front desk clerk because he was wearing a grey t-shirt under a blazer) and Andy Rizk informed me that I could use the parking garage for a fee, or that I could buy an umbrella. They really were pushing these umbrellas, and after they told me the price again, Andy told me that I could get them cheaper at Target. After some objection by me they informed me that I could use the adjacent hotel's covered loading/unloading facilities, and that I could reach it by crossing the exercise and pool area on the 3rd floor. I opted to use the other hotel's covered parking facilities. It became apparent to me that this hotel was not accommodating because they wanted to close a sale on an umbrella.

The only good recommendation I could give about this hotel is that the room was adequate and rates 5 out of 5 stars. The breakfast is typical hotel fare and is overcrowded due to serving other hotel properties; the pool is small, shared with another hotel, and is over chlorinated; and if needed common courtesy can be bought at this property.

1  Thank rdduncan

Thank you for letting us know of your disappointment with your stay at our hotel. It is true that we share our indoor pool with our adjoining Marriott property, the Renaissance Arlington Capital View, and at times the pool can become the favorite hot spot for our guests, but overcrowding is not typically the case. I notified the appropriate department to test and monitor our pool water conditions per your concerns. In additon, while we do share our pool with the adjoining hotel, this is not the case with our breakfast buffet. Only guests who are staying at the Residence Inn are invited to partake in the complimentary breakfast. Guests who stay with us typically come down in spurts throughout the morning to get breakfast and, on occasion, they come down for breakfast all at once. When this is the case, we do everything we can to keep up with the increased demand for both food and table space. We've even opened up meeting space and set up extra tables and seating to accomodate everyone. I understand how frustrating it must have been for you when you were looking forward to enjoying a hearty meal and were greeted by several other guests wanting the same. We will continue to manage these situations when they arise in an effort to appease every guest who comes to breakfast. Our parking garage is available to our guests for a fee that is comparable to the other area hotels in the city and we offer the options of valet parking or self-parking. I apologize if you felt we were letting you get wet in the rain in order to make an umbrella sale. I can assure you that was not the intention of our staff in any way. We have openly discussed other althernatives that could have been offered to you and we are always brainstorming creative ways to solve problems that occur for our guests.

While I understand your reasons for possible choosing another hotel for your next stay, it is my hope that you will find comfort knowing that we are listening to what our guests have to say and that we take every suggestion and concern seriously. Thank you for your business. We appreciate it very much.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel with my wife, two year old and six month old. We arrived late and were flying out early in the morning. My two year old requires milk to go to sleep so I called the front desk to ask where I could walk to find some. The front desk agent asked if I needed two percent or whole milk and then told me to come down for it in five minutes. I got downstairs and he had two small bottles milk for me to get my little boy to sleep. Anyone with a small child will understand how much this meant to me and my wife.
The hotel itself is wonderful. Perfect stop next to the airport and the shuttle ride was less than five minutes.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the review of our hotel and for taking the time to commend our wonderful staff. We truly care about the comfort of our guests and we'll go the extra mile to help you relax after a day of travel. We understand how important it is for families to maintain a sense of well-being for their children and how hard it is for little ones to become accustomed to strange surroundings. I'm glad we were able to be there to help when you needed it and I hope you'll think of us whenever you and your family come to DC in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I've stayed at several DCA hotels either before or after long flights, usually only for one short night. This was my first stay at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View, and I will definitely be returning. The airport shuttle was quick and easy both to and from the airport, the front desk clerk was exceedingly friendly and helpful, and the 1 bedroom suite was comfortable and great for family members who want some space from each other. The full size kitchen was very useful; we didn't cook, but we knew we'd have a freezer to store some goodies that we packed to take home.

There's a good selection of restaurants fairly close to the hotel.

We didn't have reason to use the shuttle to the metro, and we left too early to have the breakfast buffet, so can't comment on those, but maybe we'll be able to try them next time.

1  Thank Ardith L

Well if you didn't have time to experience our breakfast buffet or to take the complimentary shuttle down Crystal Drive to the Metro, then come on back! The breakfast alone will be worth the trip. And did you know that once you board the Metro, you're just minutes away from shopping, sightseeing and some of the most fabulous dining choices on the east coast? There's so much more waiting for you here at the Residence Inn Arlington Capital View. We'll be here when you're ready for round two.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I thought this was a great hotel and could not complain had we not stayed at the pentagon city hotel previously. Location was alright, it is a little far from the metro station in comparison to the Pentagon city location. our bed was a little warn it had a big dip in the middle but nothing unbearable. The hotel is nice and new but I would choose the decorating in the pentagon city hotel over this one. The colors were a little intense everything was bright orange and red (colors were very tense in not relaxing). The breakfast was great, shuttle service was nice, for the price it is a great deal but for a couple dollars more (we payed about five dollars more a night) I would stay at the pentagon city Residence Inn.
If you end up staying here there is a really good Indian take out just across the main highway.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your honesty. We understand that our guests have so many choices when it comes to selecting a hotel in the DC area and when it comes down to what is important to our guests, they may prefer another hotel over ours. However, it is reassuring to know that you would still prefer to stay in a Marriott hotel. I have shared your comments regarding the bedding in your guest room with my team and we are taking steps to make sure that all of the guestrooms meet our high standards. Should you ever change your mind about staying with us again in the future, please know we would be so glad that you came back and we'll be here to serve you any way we can.