“Great space, but a missed opportunity...”

Arlington Cinema and Drafthouse
Ranked #23 of 106 things to do in Arlington
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I've been to the Arlington Cinema & Drafthouse a number of times under both the old and new management. I think the space is great, and love that they have table service for food and drinks (although that can be a bit distracting at times). Really, I think the missed opportunity comes from both the choice of movies they screen and what comes down to an identity crisis.

First, choice of movies: The Drafthouse would be the perfect venue for things like cult favorites and seasonal stuff. I picture themed double features or halloween horror film festivals and stuff like that. While they do a few things surrounding 'The Big Lebowski' and 'Office Space', for the most part it shows nothing more than 2nd run films that are just getting out of 1st run theaters, and even films that have just come out on DVD. But I think the real bummer about the Cinema Drafthouse is...

The Identity Crisis: The last few years, management have attemped to make the Drafthouse a one-stop-shop featuring said 2nd run movies some nights, bands some nights, children's magicians some nights, stand up comics some nights, etc. Unfortunately, it leads to basically a lack of one true identitiy. I think the Drafthouse needs to choose one angle and roll with it.

Basically, I gave them 3 out of 5 cuz the food is pretty good and they have a lot of beers, but given the option, I'd make it 2 1/2 out of 5. If you want to watch a movie you missed in the 1st run theaters, then go for it. Honestly though, E Street Cinema is a way better option and they have beer there too!

Reviewed April 8, 2012

There are a few places like Arlington Cinema N Drafthouse across the country, but this is the only one I know about in the DC area. Alcoholic drinks, recent but not newly released movies, standup comedy on the weekends, food starting at popcorn and going through a full meal. The meals are not to write home about, but for snacking and a drink, it's fine. And the movie price is never more than $5.50.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

My food was good, but it was definitely not worth the money.

Reviewed March 16, 2012

It was a lot of fun going to the Drafthouse. The movie itself was relatively cheap, but the food was expensive. The interior desperately need to be upgraded. Some of the chairs were ripped and the floors were really gross. I was a little hesitant about going because I wasn't sure if the wait staff would be too loud during the movie, or if it would be distracting to have people ordering food during the movie, but they have a good system in place to ensure minimal distraction. Overall, it was a fun experience, but I don't know if I would do it again.

Reviewed March 7, 2012

This place was awesome. I have seen several movies and live events here. Each time...great. Having a frosty beverage with the shows makes it so much more fun.