“Laughed my -- off. Best fun ever!”

Mystery Dinner Playhouse - Arlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Audience member solve a comedy murder mystery while enjoying a four course dinner. The dinner is served by a zany cast of suspects who all the while are providing clues to help solve the evening's crime. You guess whodunit!
Reviewed September 12, 2011

My girlfriends and I go out every 3-4 months just to get away from our daily responsibilities and to have a good time. We are an ethnically diverse group of single, divorced, and married ladies ranging in age from 25-75. On September 10, 2011 we chose the Mystery Dinner Playhouse in Arlington, VA as our venue. There were 17 of us total and we all had the best time ever. The actors/waitors were very accomodating and friendly. The service was good. The food was delicious and the show was hilarious. We couldn’t stop laughing. All the characters were portrayed well, but we especially liked ”Pupi Pastorini”. The key to having a good time at this venue is your willingness to participate and be silly. The actors play off of the audience members so you have to be open and willing to make fun of yourself, otherwise you won't enjoy yourself. This is not a broadway production; there are no props and you are required to use your imagination, but if you are looking for a good laugh then Murder Mystery Dinner Playhouse is definitely the place for you.

1  Thank Teresa S

Reviewed July 22, 2011

For the most part I think you have to just keep an open mind. I purchased 10 tickets through Groupon last year and used them for my birthday. I made sure I had the right type of people with me, those who were open for anything. Because of our interactivity we had a great time. Be warned that there is no formal stage and people are not performing in front of you in a typical setup. There is a small seating area with 10-15 tables and the actors are also the waiters. They perform their "scenes" right amongst the tables. The clues are not easy, but you do have to talk to the actors, use the fake "bribe" money they give you and just have fun time of it. I figured out the killer as did about 10 other people in the room. It is what you make of it. As far as the food, it was fine. Warm rolls with butter, selection of 4-5 entrees (the NY Strip was one but could only be ordered medium). Two types of fish, vegetarian or a chicken marsala. It was all pretty decent. Loved the staff and would go again, but only with a fun group of people. Having said all that, I did pay 1/2 price on Groupon. For the regular price of close to $50 I would have been looking for a more seasoned or practiced, traditional experience. I have only been to Toby's dinner theater in Columbia..if you are expectiving that type of broadway show experience you will be sorely disappointed. Soft drinks are included but you have to go to the bar for alcoholic beverages (right outside of the dinner theater area).

1  Thank EventPlanner_7186700
Reviewed June 5, 2011

We attended the Mystery Dinner Playhouse in Arlington to "Fashion to Die For". The staff was very warm and friendly, the food was ok, but the play was extremely bad.
Not only were some of the lines hard to understand, a couple of the actors where clueless. It was not a "mystery dinner", it was like going to a restaurant and having servers periodically entertain you. It was a bad adventure. Do not waste your time and money. Go to Blair Mansion in Silver Spring.

3  Thank jyd85
Reviewed April 5, 2011

Well, you won't forget this event. You will be a) seated with strangers at group tables, b) encouraged to buy alcoholic beverages, which at least half of your table is likely to do, in excess and c) interact with the actors who are walking around the tables, and you may be made one of the characters in their skits, d) and it will last three hours.

This was a fun and interesting way to have a show. It felt like a family reunion wherein half of your relatives decide to put together a skit for the rest of the family to enjoy. That means that the skit will rotate between funny, awkward, and amusing. And yes- expect the awkward. It's an INTERACTIVE drama- no stage, actors within an arms length away, etc, and keep in mind that some guests will be very tipsy... but fortunately, the cast is actually really good. We had the Prom to Die for skit, and all of the actors/actresses did a great job! They really get into it- from the time you show up to the time you leave, they stay in character. I was actually quite impressed with their performance, albeit it being a bit long at times.

So make sure you take a friend or person you can laugh with, and be careful about bringing young kids- lots of drawn out sexual innuendos.

Note about the food- the bread rolls, soup, and dessert were good- but the main courses are really mediocre. Especially the beef and the salmon. They will all be lacking in flavor completely, or veer on the edge of bad- I wish I would have have brought salt, pepper, soy sauce, Italian seasoning.... anything to make the food even a degree less bland. Fortunately you can keep asking for more bread.

Last thing. Park in the Sheraton hotel garage, because you will get a parking voucher for it after the show.

6  Thank LaraJohn
Reviewed September 3, 2010

My wife and I celebrated our 2nd Wedding Anniversary with Mystery Dinner Playhouse in Arlington. We loved the interaction with the cast who were very funny. Great memories were made! The food was very tasty too. I have also been to the Richmond, VA location and would recommend any show at any location because a better value for Dinner and Entertainment I have yet to find!

Laurence "Joey Two Hands" Hart