WINNER WONDERLAND

Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Seating, Takeout
Washington, DC
“Delicious Ethiopean food, good service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

We've dined at Dama a few times now for their vegan selection. The food is good, and the service is good. You know this place is good by the fact that it draws people from the Ethiopian community.

Visited March 2013

Seattle, Washington
“If you don't already know Ethiopian food...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I had no idea about Ethiopian food but was keen to try. The woman behind the counter could not have been less helpful at explaining what the various dishes were or how they were prepared.

I ended up with what were some pieces of warm bread with a side of plain yoghurt, which was the best part of the meal. Too bad; I love all types of ethnic food and would have been back for several more meals had they shown the least bit of interest in introducing me to Ethiopian cuisine.

Visited December 2012
Fairfax, Virginia
“Interesting Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

I heard about Dama on NPR and asked an Ethiopian co-worker who enthusiastically recommended it. A buddy and I, without much prior Ethiopian food experience, split the Awaze Tibs and the Vegetarian Combo. The waitress suggested that we cut the Tibs with tomato (likely the Gringo option) and we readily agreed. The food, eaten with the provided injera, was all wonderful - spicy enough to let you know you were trying something new, but not spicy enough to be uncomfortable. We had Ginger Tea to drink and it was unique as well. On our way out we stopped at the attached bakery for cookies and they were very good - perhaps not as sweet as their American counterparts.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ace4444
Ava
“Breakfasts were unbelievable in price and quality!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

Wonderful pastries!! Check out their breakfast menu. You can get many different kinds of bread, all whole grain, and eggs cooked to order. Very friendly Ethiopian establishment. There is also a restaurant serving true Ethiopian dishes a couple of doors down. Each serving could feed at least two people. SPICY, but fresh and delicious!

Visited August 2012
Santiago, Chile
“It's the only Ethiopian restaurant I really like in DC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2010

There is a fantastic bakery, but the adjacent restaurant is great too. They're known for their kitfo (raw beef drenched in spices and butter). I usually take my friends here to try Ethiopian food if I'm on a budget (Dukem in DC is a bit better but expensive). I order the veggie combo, kitfo, and tibs. I guess I should mention that I am Ethiopian as well.

1 Thank getachkaraoke