WINNER WONDERLAND

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Locals who love it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012 via mobile

I often use trip advisor when I am on the road traveling for work and when I look at a review I always kinda wonder who writes the reviews. Well in this case I'm a local who has been going to La Union with my wife for the past couple of years since moving into the neighborhood. We love it. Sure it may not look like much from the outside but the food is great and the family that runs it are the friendliest. If you happen to be in Arlington and are feeling Mexican, skip the chains and go here. You won't be disappointed.

Arlington VA
“Great neighborhood restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We've been going to La Union since it opened years ago and we do take-out all the time. Super- friendly service and tasty food. My 10 year old son loves the sweet corn tamales and I love the sour cream enchiladas. Excellent carne asada and shrimp dishes too. Have a Regia and the flan!

• Visited April 2012
Redmond, Washington
“Excellent and Atypical Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

We selected this restaurant based on family feedback, and the fact that they offer Central American food as opposed to Mexican fare. What a find!

Typical neighborhood restaurant, meaning that there is no pretense or "ambiance" to judge. None. But if you are looking for Central American food, this is the place. In La Union's case that means from El Salvador; and it matched what I expected in terms of choices.

Had a couple of tamales, which were as delicious as the Christmas tamales that little old ladies give you during the holidays in Central America (in my case that means Costa Rica). I am a snob about these, and very rarely order them in restaurants for that reason.

We never got to the Bistec main menu offering, because a light dinner and El Salvadoran beer on a Friday eve were all we had time for prior to a concert that we were headed to. Our waiter was none other than the owner, and he was as engaging as he was genuine. Our conversation with him darted in and out of both languages, and so often happens: it all depends on the topic.

Looking for Mexican? No idea, because we didn't try any. You can eat Mexican anywhere.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mike_Sea
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2012

Love this place - get the enchiladas with creamy chicken - so delicious

• Visited November 2011
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Service and Amazing Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

From the outside you might not expect this neighborhood gem to be anything but average or ok, but this little place will exceed your expectations! La Union is a fantastic place to get fresh Salvadorian food. Not only does the food taste GREAT but it doesn't hurt the wallet. Get a pupusa to start with. Then order either El Tipico or Carne Asada. I'm not a big meat eater myself but this is worth the bite. Although I have never had the Mexican food I wouldn't order it. You can have Mexican anywhere - go for the good stuff....Salvadorian food!

• Visited September 2011