“Great Hotel”

Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Florida, New York
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

This is a new hotel, in a very nice location. The area is all brick streets and flowers with lots of restaurants and a few shops, plus the movie theater and library, a nice place to walk and very safe feeling. There were always lots of locals out walking with their dogs.

The rooms are big with a desk work area, nice desk chair, new flat screen TVs, microwave, and refrigerator, the only downside to the room itself was the bathroom which was small and had a shower curtain. They have free wireless internet and parking in the adjacent lot which is not far away. There is a very nice place outside to sit, we had it all to ourselves for the three days we were there. Also the pool is Very small like half a lap pool - not great for family fun/swimming at all.

We ate in the hotel’s restaurant for breakfast the one day because it was included with our package deal, it is overpriced at $12.95 but very nice if you don’t mind paying this much for breakfast. Cooked to order eggs, pancakes, French toast, bacon, sausage, potatoes, breads, fruits, muffins, oatmeal and grits – lots of juices and the service from the chef to the waitresses was excellent, no lines and they bring you your juice and food from the chef – a real plus at a breakfast buffet.

You have to get the hotel shuttle to the Pentagon City Metro. We never had any trouble getting the shuttle to the metro or back – a five minute drive and then a very short metro ride into the city 5-10 minutes depending on your stop, the trains seemed to come every 8 minutes or so- not much waiting there. We were new to the metro but figured it out easily. We only rode in the day, preferred to be back to the hotel after dark and did wish a few times that we had stayed in the city so we could have rested, then went back out to tour.

The people at the hotel were all very nice but they did give me a room with a view of a brick wall after I had asked several times during my reservation process to have one with a view, I could have complained and gotten it changed I suppose but how many times should you have to ask for something? Also I only got my Hilton Honors waters one day out of three – not a huge deal and again I could have asked but I really feel that I shouldn’t have to, after all that is almost the only thing you get from being a Silver VIP member!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mmosher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Rocky Mount, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I must say that this was by far the best value and the nicest Hilton Garden Inn I have ever stayed in! The family went to DC for the museum/monument vacation. We stayed in Arlington and rode the metro into the city. HGI provided a convenient shuttle to the Pentagon City metro stop, but more importantly. had a great room, a liitle larger than normally expected. Their roll away was a real bed, not an uncomfortable metal frame. The cooked to order breakfast, the free internet and free parking made it a super, super value. The staff was very helpful and pleasant and just an all round great experience!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank rmva24151
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2010

Firstly the rooms were lovely and very very clean. The maid service was excellent, lots of smiles and greetings from all the staff. The location is great, restaurants, shopping and DC and Airport not far away.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

This was my first visit to the Hilton Garden Inn - Shirlington. I will start with the only negative I can come up with: if you are traveling solely via the Metro, this is less convenient than other Arlington or Old Town Alexandria options in that you have to take a shuttle to the Metro. The shuttle is free (you should tip the driver) but it does add a bit to trip time to and from DC. Beyond that, everything is great. Service is top-notch and friendly. Wifi is free and fast. Rooms are large, well-equipped, attractively furnished. Beds are very comfortable. The area has many dining/drinking options, and there is a restaurant on site for breakfast (I did not eat here.) Parking is free - extremely rare for the area - and the hotel is easy to find just a couple of minutes from I-395. Driving into the city took 10 to 15 minutes (most trips I took were off-peak hours, though - so rush hour will be a little longer.) I have stayed in many DC properties and this is much better than most. I highly recommend the HGI-Shirlington.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank BiztravelguyBoston
Chesapeake City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

What a great hotel - The room was very spacious and the entire hotel looked spotless. Lots of amenities that I look for when traveling (free wifi, pool, parking, fitness center etc.) The bed was comfortable and plush. The staff was friendly, even helping us find dinner after our late arrival. This is certinally a hotel to look into if you are in the area, I know I will stay there on my next trip back to DC.

Mike

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank mdscorey
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

We spent 2 great nights at the Hilton Garden Inn Shirlington. I can't say enough good things about it. The staff were all wonderful, very friendly and helpful. The pool is small but our kids had a very good time and there was a lifeguard on duty so I could relax a little myself! The spa was awesome after a day of walking the museums. Our room was spotless with every amenity we might need and the beds were heavenly.

We ate breakfast in the hotel which was the best hotel breakfast we have ever had. The food was cooked in no time at all and delicious. The staff again were very helpful and friendly. Our only complaint would be that the restaurant was cold! The AC was up a bit too high for our liking.

The hotel provides a free shuttle service to the Pentagon City Metro station which we used all 3 days we were there. It was prompt and very clean. A fantastic benefit! They also provide free parking, including on the day we had checked out which was a nice surprise. I expected them to ask us to move our vehicle.

The area around the hotel is very safe and quaint. Its like a little village. You can walk around the nice little shops and choose from one of the many restaurants. We ate at a brewery which was great. There is a real community feel to the area.

I will give one tip - we had a hard time seeing the entrance to the hotel on our arrival, the sign is tiny! Be sure to drive around to where Campbell Ave meets S. Arlington Mill Drive.

We'll be staying there again on our next visit to DC!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank 4PATravellers
Southern Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

This was our second stay here - and it keeps getting better. The hotel is spotless, the staff incredibly friendly and accommodating. There is nowhere better to stay in the DC area.

First off, Shirlington itself is a great little town - a lot of fun on its own. Lots of restaurants and shops all within walking distance.

Plus you are near DC, and other areas in Virginia.

Other major benefits of the hotel are free parking, free fitness center and free internet - it is amazing other hotels still charge for these things.

Hilton Shirlington has got it right - there's no need to look any further - this is the place to stay!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple