“Try the Rooftop”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Eventide Restaurant - CLOSED

Eventide Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hudson St.
Transit: Get off on the Clarendon Metro stop (Orange Line), walk up the escalator, turn left and walk about 50 yards up Wilson Blvd. We're on the right at 3165 Wilson.
“Try the Rooftop”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Eventide is a lovely restaurant in an older building in Clarendon. There are three levels - a main floor bar, a formal dining room, and a roof-top bar open in the summer. The settings are different, but all beautifully done. The restaurant has a nice menu, but I didn't find the food all that interesting. I'd go for the bar or the rooftop, for the atmosphere and a drink and something light to eat, but if you wanted to spend that much for upscale dining, you could get a better meal elsewhere. Service is excellent.

“Nice Sunday Brunch”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We rarely go out for Sunday brunch these days, so when we do we tend to go a bit upscale. Eventide fits the bill in this category. There is a choice of ala carte dishes or a buffet; we chose the buffet ($19 per adult, beverages extra) which had a moderate range of choices but everything was nicely prepared. The items that stand out in my memory from our visit include cured salmon (oddly presented overlapping on a butcher block, in a way that made lifting a single piece very challenging), eggs Florentine, corned beef with cabbage, braised short ribs (really good), a melon and arugula salad, scrambled eggs, bacon and house-made pork sausage. My wife had some of the French toast and pronounced it good. I think there were also bowls of caesar salad and a pasta salad, but we didn't try those. There were some little muffins and a nice selection of dessert items, but oddly few breads (a tiny bagel would have gone well with the cured salmon). Overall, a nice variety of well-prepared food.

The ambience was very pleasant. We went early-ish so the place was not really busy (contrast with the nearby Liberty Tavern, which had a line snaking out the door both when we arrived and when we left), the dining room was nice and quiet, and there were a number of empty tables. We made a reservation through Open Table, but in retrospect we didn't need to have done that.

We wouldn't hesitate to return to Eventide again when Sunday brunch is on the agenda, particularly at the last moment, but if we had time to plan in advance and acquire a reservation it might be a difficult decision between Eventide and Liberty Tavern.

• Visited April 2013
Alexandria, Virginia
“Modern decor-delicious food”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is one of our favorite restaurants for a date night, dinner with friends or for entertaining out of town guests. You cannot go wrong with this restaurant. The decor is beautiful with dark blue velvet curtains and crystal chandeliers but does not feel intimidating. You can wear dressy jeans or a dress and feel great. The food is so good and fresh. The combination of the ingredients will pleasantly surprise you! There is also the Odd Bar on the street level of Eventide for before or after dinner drinks. In the summer you definitely have to try the rooftop bar for happy hour or just a cocktail while enjoying the view!

• Visited April 2013
“Upscale yet relaxed, Eventide delivers”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

One of the highest compliments that I could pay Eventide is that it is one of the few American restaurants I have been to where the food was not OVER-salted! I'm not sure what else needs to be said. All of our appetizers and entrees were incredibly delicious, and yet somehow, the desserts truly stole the show. The decor is amazing, with generous amounts of space between tables, which is a welcome change of pace. The execution of one of our fish dishes went horribly awry, but the manager rectified the situation as quickly as possible, and offered up a free dessert without hesitation.

• Visited March 2013
Arlington, Virginia
“Calm in the storm - upstairs, anyway”
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This is my go-to restaurant for my own special events and for guests who want a DC experience but don't want to drive into town to get it. I love that it is so close to my home. It is attractive from the outside and within. Others have described it well. I've been for brunch with the winter light filtering in the tall windows. I've been for a summer birthday dinner and reunion dinner. All wonderful. The food has always been delicious and well-presented. It is top dollar for the area but you feel as if you deserve it. Service is not out of the ordinary but it doesn't detract. I felt like we could have sat there for hours if we wished and that is a huge compliment. They also handled a special request for me which was much appreciated when I had a VIP come in. So, real people behind the phone. Another plus.

Note: I've never visited the bar downstairs. It looks quite happening at night but Clarendon at night is a hopping scene. Upstairs is just another world.

• Visited August 2012