“Meh!”

Charlie Chiang's Crystal City
Ranked #309 of 940 Restaurants in Arlington
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 2, 2012

The mu shi pork had globs of fat. They feature their great mixed drinks, but dont waste your money. Our sever was young and inexperienced And forget credit cards, they use the old sliding credit card embosser and they presented us with a receipt that had no merchant plate and no total. We paid cash!

1  Thank Rutman

Reviewed July 2, 2012

The people in my new office in Crystal City love to eat out. every. day. Frankly, as much as I love food, I (or rather, my wallet) can't keep up. But one day, they announced plans to go to Charlie Chiang's for lunch. It was on my list to try, so I joined them.

The place was nearly empty when we arrived, but filled up quickly. The space was open with plenty of space between tables, in medium browns and with wood furniture. The Mongolian grill station had a place of honor behind the main entrance and was a pop of neon blue color with fanciful paintings on its canopy. The buffet, on the other hand, was more discretely placed in its own open-ended room behind a screened half-wall.

I made a pass at the buffet. It was not as extensive as some buffets I've eaten at but pretty much carried the usual Chinese staples; only had one option for soup this day, hot and sour. Since we arrived soon after opening, I can't speak about the replenishment rate, since everything was topped off. Items were hot, good and filling.

I also tried the Mongolian pit. Here one could select a fair assortment of veggie, meat, and sauce items. The meat was different than what I've experienced at Mongolian BBQs before: the meat pieces weren't fresh chunks, but looked cured instead. They also had seafood options; they get a truth in advertising award for labeling their crab as imitation. Despite the odd appearance of the chicken, I put a few crispy curls into my bowl. I should have resisted and gone straight vegetarian, as they turned out to be very salty and polluted the bowl with its sodium content. They also didn't taste very good.

Service was OK for the most part; the server had an awkward way of reaching across the table in front of people to refill the glasses and a few dirty plates lingered, but nothing truly terrible.

Which about sums up Charlie Chiang's; good but unremarkable Chinese buffet food (but with an added draw of the Mongolian grill), with average service, and at a cost only slightly upwards in price compared to typical Chinese restaurants due to its location in Crystal City. It's a good place to load up on food without going broke.

Reviewed May 24, 2012

The service was excellent, but the food was just okay.

Reviewed March 10, 2012

Really nothing more to say about the food here than being slightly above average take out Chinese. It is above average price and service is as expected.

1  Thank Nads82
Reviewed December 13, 2011

We arrived at the resturant a little after 5:00 and we were the first people to arrive, I guess most of the crowd must come in after 6:00. I found the décor to be a little plain, but the food was definitly not plain. The hot and sour soup was excellent and our two entrees were good, I would say the “Tempura chicken with pineapple glaze” was one of the best chicken dishes I have had any where. The only downside to our meal was the steamed rice, it tasted like it was left over from lunch, it seemed liked they had thrown it into the microwave to heat it . Even though the resturant did not have many customer the service was rather slow and I hate to have to look for my waitress to get my bill.

All things considered, a good recommendation by Travel Advisor.

The only downsize is the resturant is located in a large office building and outside parking is limited, I had to park in the underground garage and parking cost me $10.00, you would think weekends would be free.