WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“A little gem” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Highlander Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Arlington
Highlander Motel
Ranked #36 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
UK
“A little gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

We too booked here on the basis of Trip Advisor reviews and we certainly weren't disappointed in any way. We knew it might be a gamble staying here, given the 'old fashioned' structure of the building but we weren't at all disappointed. It was easy to find for people who didn't know the area at all and ample free parking was excellent. A car parking space was easily accessible at any time of the day or evening. Check in was efficient rather than welcoming and we were advised of the small breakfasts available each morning. Our room was excellent - air conditioning worked extremely well and the room was spotlessly clean. The refrigerator was a very welcome addition over the five nights we stayed here. The sink in the bedroom and the separate toilet/shower area were very clean and all was in proper working order. Towels and face cloths were changed every day without our asking - something very few hotels do these days in our experience. An opening window in the shower area was helpful. The room was large, with two beds and still plenty of space to move around. The TV had a reasonable range of stations and a decent picture. We used the small breakfast area each morning just to start the day off and there was always coffee, fresh fruit, bagels and yoghurts available. There are many restaurants within walking distance from the hotel and a very handy supermarket just along the road. We were visiting Washington mainly and found this to be a great value place to stay with easy access to the Metro system - there are 3 stops within easy walking distance. Overall we were delighted with the Highlander - it ticked our main boxes of clean, car parking and access to Washington. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and we were pleased that what we thought might be a gamble paid off so well. Oh, and we ended up paying $40 less than the rate we were originally quoted.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the first floor and no lift, so people who struggle with their luggage may need t...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rich13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014 via mobile

We decided to stay at this hotel based largely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We booked 2 nights but decided to leave after the first night. It just wasn't the place we expected. This is an "old school" motel, no frills. We weren't convinced the room was clean. We moved rooms because the toilet didn't work. The shower didn't drain in the second room. The AC kept the room reasonably cool but it made funny noises all night. This hotel is truly for those budget minded. If you aren't, we'd recommend looking elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ktbab
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Aside from a few hiccups, my stay was enjoyable. The room was clean, the staff were helpful, and the price was much lower than other potentials for my stay. Highlander is only a few blocks from Virginia Square Metro Station, and within a quarter mile of many restaurants. I found it was very easy to get up, eat breakfast, make my way into the District for business, and return to the Motel for dinner. The reduced weekend rates were a plus.

Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Z. L. B
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Simple, affordable motel in an area that generally fills up very quickly and doesn't have many options in this range. When I was got in, I was informed that my reservation price was higher than the actual rate for those days, and my price was re-adjusted downwards, all without any prompting. Clean, comfortable rooms, and in general a pleasant stay. Soundproofing could be a little bit better, but this was a very good experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin T
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

I stayed at this property for 2 nights. The room was clean, comfortable and affordable. However, one lady at the front desk was a bit rude and unprofessional I believe her name was Sheryl.

I chose this motel because I needed to stay near the Pentagon Memorial for an affordable price. There were food options within walking distance as well as a few bars. We were able to catch the train which was within walking distance from the Motel.

This Motel is a bit old, however, the rooms are sufficient. Overall I enjoyed my stay! If the rude lady in the front gets a better attitude I would recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Highland Heights, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2014

Clean, comfortable, conveniently located, quiet, reasonably priced (for D.C. area), free parking. It is an older motor inn that has been remodeled. Nice comfortable beds, really nice bathroom. My family turned up noses when we pulled in, but they were won over during the stay. Easy walk to the metro at Virginia Square (3 blocks) or Ballston (with mall area and restaurants about 6 blocks). Both are short rides into the D.C. monuments on the orange line. Short drive (or metro) to Arlington Cemetery and Iwo Jima monument. Breakfast was bagels, donuts, yogurt, fresh fruit!, croissants, coffee and OJ. This is not the Hilton or Hyatt, but it is also half the price. I couldn't be happier; we'll be staying here on our next visit to the area.

Room Tip: Ballston Common mall is located close to the Ballston metro station, a short walk up Wilson Blvd. Th...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank OrgChemDr
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

My son and I were on a field trip to DC. Out of habit I was looking for a Residence Inn or similar. All of those options were booked and so after some very diligent research my wife found this gem. The price was right and it was within an easy walk (3 blocks) of a Metro (Virginia Square/GMU).

I usually struggle a lot with hotel beds but these were great and I slept better than I usually do when I travel. The room was clean and it was really nice to go into a place where there was not a price tag on everything. As others have noted there is a nice sized refrigerator in the room and a 7-11 within a block so we could get milk, water etc and keep it cold.

The staff was very friendly. On our last day I asked if they could keep our one suitcase while we were at the museums and they were very helpful.

They do have breads (bagels etc) and fruit for breakfast but we took advantage of a Starbucks right next to the Metro.

It can be noisy at night but it is a city.

If you are flying in and out of Dulles - take bus 5A and get off at the Roslyn stop which is just outside the Roslyn Metro station and take the Orange line to Virginia Square/GMU. Very inexpensive (6.00/person for the bus ride and just a couple of bucks for the Metro).

There are a number of nice restaurants in the area. I would be careful of the Mario's Pizza place next door - it was inexpensive and that was reflected in the quality of the pizza. One really nice place for families is a BBQ place called Rocklands about 6 blocks away from the hotel - it was a nice walk.

Between the hotel and the Metro is a community art building that had some interesting sculptures outside.

If you are not careful and look at the hotel on Google Maps it might look like an uncomfortable area for a family. That is not the case at all. The hotel has houses behind it and some very expensive townhomes/condos around it.

Oh yeah we packed light - the hotel does not have a guest laundry but there is a full service cleaners right next door that is open 7-7 and they will do your laundry at a pretty reasonable price.

I have a bad feeling that with all of the significant development in the area this place will disappear in the next five years which would be too bad.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family