“You Get What You Pay For”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Elliston, VA
“You Get What You Pay For”
Reviewed March 22, 2007

It was my understanding the hotel had been updated/renovated in the last few years but I don't think this was the case since the bathroom was done in pink and black tile. The location was okay, close to the Metro and surrounded by well known hotels with good restaurants. The biggest problem was the door to the room. You could see daylight when the door was shut. The weather turned very windy and cold and the draft was terrible. There was only a button lock on the doorknob and a chain lock on the door. Also, the door didn't automatically lock behind you. I'm surprised the wind didn't blow the door open.

The heat was a unit on the wall near the door and the only warmth in the room was the path of the heat; the upper and lower part of the room was drafty and cold. The worst was the bathroom, the floor was like ice, I put towels down to serve as a rug in order to stand in there. The decor was very outdated but everything was clean.

The continental breakfast was very basic with lots of donuts, bagels, and croissants. No fruit was available. The staff was nice but we were given incorrect directions a couple of times.

I wouldn't stay there again, I would spend the extra money for something newer and nicer even if I had to travel farther to get in to DC.

Stayed March 2007
1 Thank clarkls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
kicko
Reviewed November 14, 2006

I have stayed at Americana Hotel for 5 nights. The location of the hotel is very good, 5 minute walk to Crystal City Metro Station and 10 minute walk to Pentagon Fashion Center. The reception personnel was very kind and the rooms were very clean. Breakfast was ok. I recommend to all DC travellers...

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noise from the highway
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
4 Thank kicko
California
Reviewed October 9, 2006

We spent three nights at this hotel. The only problem we had was finding the entrance. Hotel personnel were very helpful and we used the shuttle to go to and from the metro station at Crystal City (could have walked as it was only a couple of blocks). Was a little apprehensive because of some of the negative reviews I read but would highly recommend it to anyone visiting Washington, DC.

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
6 Thank konatraveler40
Whitstable, Kent
Reviewed September 27, 2006

Stayed here with friends while visiting DC. Knew what to expect regarding the need for updating - would certainly agree that the decor is more than a little out of date. However, rooms were spacious, clean and well appointed.

Had a fridge, air-con, HUGE tv and a desk & chair. All facilities worked very well and the location was great - 5 min walk to the Metro station.

Staff were helpful & friendly, breakfast wasn't exactly fine dining, but for free - what do you expect !!!

Overall very pleased with our stay and would recommend to friends & family alike

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
6 Thank mattizzard
Warwick, UK
Reviewed September 22, 2006

We stayed here for 7 nights while we attended friends' wedding nearby and took in the sights in DC.

The hotel was clean enough if in need of a good bit of updating. I could also understand why some previous reviewers had concerns regarding security although we never experienced any problems. It was annoying that we could not use the lift from the car park level after 6pm (we arrived at 8pm with lots of bags as you don't travel light with two small children) but I understand the security reasons for this. Still it was a hassle taking a stroller (not to mention the luggage that first night) up the steps to the lobby and then up the three steps to get to the lift. Definitely not recommended for anyone in a wheelchair and it would be so easily rectified with some ramps. I'm almost certain lack of disability access like this would be pretty much illegal in the UK.

It was nice to have some form of breakfast - pastries, muffins and donuts are better than nothing although it was a bit offputting that they were left uncovered for the flies to buzz around (I always tried to take things from the bottom layer to minimise any potential problems from this).

Wireless internet access is unfortunately not available in the twin rooms which was a pain for us as we were travelling as a family of 4 and needed a twin. My husband used to just take his laptop along the other end of the hallway where there were some sofas - manageable but not ideal. We also could have done with a cot but the hotel did not seem to possess one - not exactly doing their best to get the young family market.

In some of the previous reviews people were going on about the friendliness of the staff. Perhaps we never came into as much contact with them but I certainly did not feel they were particularly friendly. In fact, one evening when front desk called us to inform us of a visitor, my husband had to call back twice to ask a couple of questions, the guy had continually hung up on him almost mid sentence! Quite annoying to say the least.

All in all I think this place is probably fine if you are an older couple but I think they were a bit cold to us being a family with two very small children. Some other members of the wedding party were staying in the Embassy Suites next door but unfortunately we couldn't have justified this cost for 7 nights, having already spent quite a bit on accommodation for 4 nights in New York. We therefore persevered for the week as the hotel was relatively good value and offered free parking, but I can't say I particularly felt at home.

Stayed September 2006
2 Thank fairybasslet
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed August 4, 2006

My flight out of National got cancelled during the huge storms that flooded the DC area ... and I had my choice of 1) Sleeping on the floor in the terminal 2) Hyatt Regency Crystal City for $375 or ... 3) Americana ... at $99 for the night. A delightful no-frills throwback. Front Desk staff was pleasant. I was surprised to get a metal key, not an access card, for my room. Room was basic and clean. Bathroom was very 1960s ... with a real mirrored medicine cabinet and tiled walls! Air conditioning worked poorly, but I didn't care ... I'd had a long day and was thankful for the clean room. Neighbors got rowdy around 3am, and before I could call, someone from the hotel was knocking on their door asking them to quiet down. Walkable to Metro via the Crystal City Underground ... a fine place to catch a few Z's while stranded.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank Sean H
Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2006

We were quite happy with the value of this Motel. As per other reviewers, we thought the location, quiet and comfort made up for the exterior older style appearance.

We had just flown in from Australia and arrived pretty late, but the night clerk, Larry, made us welcome and checked us in quickly.

Breakfasts were a little spartan, but OK. Room and bed was very comfortable, although the A/C a little noisy during the night.

But, at a nightly rate of $99 we can not complain and will gladly stay there again. We used their shuttle a couple of times and both drivers were efficient and friendly.

• Stayed May 2006