“Basic clean rooms at an unbeatable price”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Denver, CO
“Basic clean rooms at an unbeatable price”
Reviewed June 28, 2005

Americana is a bit of a throwback to the 1960s (50s?) but has basic clean rooms at an unbeatable price.

One negative is that there are keyed locks that don't lock automatically. In other words, when you leave or enter your room and close the door behind you, it will NOT be locked unless you actively lock it.

The Americana is located close to the metro (3-4 blocks), though you do have to walk on a dirt trail adjacent to an empty lot and then underneath the Jefferson Davis Highway to reach it.

Stayed June 2005
6 Thank beeArm1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Estes Park, Colorado
Reviewed April 13, 2005

We used to live right next to the Americana when we lived in Arlington, and we referred family there all the time. It's inexpensive and very clean. I needed to stay in the DC area on short notice for two nights in March, so I went with the Americana. Yes, it's inexpensive and clean. But the furnishing are really old. The phone looked like it was 20 years old and the sound on it kept going in and out. But the real dealbreaker was the door lock. Someone could easily break into your room. The hotel is not in a bad part of town by any means, but I noticed some homeless people out and about at night. My wife was thinking of staying here in a few months on her next trip to DC, and there's no way I would feel comfortable with her here given my concerns about safety. I'd much rather that she pay an extra $100 to stay in a nice, secure location.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
6 Thank everglades_gal
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 10, 2004

Looks kinda scary from the outside, but the hotel was clean inside and the rooms were nice enough. Good breakfast. FYI...the walls are a little thin.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Alabama
Reviewed November 1, 2004

While looking for a place to stay for our vacation to DC, I almost booked a room for $150 (and thought this was going to be a good deal). At the last minute I checked out the Americana Hotel and am glad that I did. It was only $75 a night, which is unreal for that area. The hotel was nothing phenomenal, but it served the purpose. It was a nice, clean, comfortable, place to sleep at night. While on vacation, you don't spend much time in the hotel, so why spend a ton of money on a room. Here are the details:

1. Very affordable, only $75 a night
2. Only 1 1/2 blocks from the Metro (best way around the area)
3. Shuttle to pick you up from the airport and to bring to some local places.
4. Nice breakfast of donuts and muffins.
5. Clean and comfortable rooms with refrigerators.
6. Friendly staff.

Our stay there was fine and I would stay there again. They would probably do better if they had a web site with more information and pics.

• Stayed October 2004
12 Thank ybnorml
Clarkston, WA
Reviewed October 23, 2004

We just returned from a visit to Washington, D.C. On the recommendation of a frequent visitor to the area we stayed at the Americana Hotel in the Crystal City area of Arlington. We couldn't have been more pleased. It was exactly as expected. Very clean. The beds had Marriott names on them, so I know they were second-hand but they were the most comfortable motel beds I have slept on in years. We paid half the price of the "brand" hotels. The metro was a five minute walk down the street. If you didn't want to walk, the shuttle was always available and for the return trip just a phone call away. I think the longest we waited for a shuttle was about 15 minutes and they were very apologetic about that. I will be recommending this hotel to anyone going to the D.C. area.

11 Thank karen99403
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed October 15, 2004

I recently stayed at the Americana based on the high ratings that others had given. From what I had read, I was expecting something basic, but clean. What I discovered was that while, indeed, the rooms were pretty clean and everything worked, the word "basic" is an understatement. It is REALLY dated, REALLY no frills. Built in the mid-60's, it appears never to have been upgraded since. The lobby is spartan with a bare terrazzo floor. The complimentary breakfast was donuts, bagels, juice, coffee.
Also, while I believe the area around the hotel is basically safe, on the night I stayed, I was awakened at 3am by a group of people loudly carrying on outside my 2nd floor patio window. Whether they were guests, employees, or locals, I am not sure, but it was disturbing and made you wonder what kind of security the place had. Another security concern: the place still uses old fashioned room keys rather than magnetic strip card locks that can be reprogrammed after each guest.
SO, ....why stay there? 1.) great location (2 blk from metro); close to Reagan Nat'l Airport 2.) cheap price: Americana $75 vs the Marriot one block down $275.
If you are looking for just pure utility value and can keep your expectations low you might be happy at the Americana. If you are looking for contemporary style and comfort, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business