“A trip back in time....with internet access!”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #21 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Knoxville
“A trip back in time....with internet access!”
Reviewed June 28, 2009

This is my third stay here and there will be more in the future. The first time I stayed at the Americana I thought UH OH when I pulled into the parking lot. The hotel is kind of sunken down below the neighboring high rises but thats due to the Highway construction and properties that built up around it. The parking lot (Wow it has one) is a little dingy and could use a little makeup but....FREE PARKING!!! The office is in the back (which used to be the front before the highway was improved) but is large and comfortable for breakfast or relaxing w/a cup of coffee. Check in was simple with no hassles even when trying to use a coupon. My room was fine and VERY clean even though the hotel is obviously over 50 years old (which is kind of charming). Basic amenities like soap, shampoo, hair dryer, iorn, board, micro fridge, ice, laundry room and 24 hour desk clerk. Internet access is free but only in part of the hotel...so ask for that section when you check in or you will be in the hallway sitting on a couch with your laptop. Our window was not in too good of shape. They are sliding glass but disabled so you can't go out on the balcony for some reason.. The patrons have been mixed ranging from high school sports teams to buisness people to tourists to some airline pilots. After 3 stays I feel very safe in this hotel with no shady looking people hanging around. The location couldn't be much better. Two subway stations within 2 or 3 blocks (pentagon city) and (crystal city) a little closer but pentagon city is at the mall. Not many restaurants on the block but many at 2 to 4 blocks away.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank boonehuff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 27, 2009

We found no true bargains in Arlington, VA, for this trip, although we have stayed in the area many times. Compared to others, the Americana was less expensive with easy access to the Metro, the mall, and the many good restaurants in the Crystal City area. Having good shuttle service to the airport and lobby breakfast were great benefits.

We were there June 16 and 17 and again June 22. Staff were courteous and friendly; the rooms were clean. On the down side, the front elevator was out of service both times. (Another guest told us the same had been true the week before our first stay.) Although we may have missed them, we don't recall seeing access ramps, and some of the steps are unusually high. Air conditioning in the rooms was very good and very quiet. Wireless Internet was very good. There is NO air conditioning in the hallways.

All-in-all, we say this is an $85 hotel with a $100+ price in a superb location. We did not suffer, and it was much better than paying $200+ at neighboring properties. Although we had no car, the parking is FREE! That aspect is very different from the neighbors.

Several times, we noted what seemed simple things that would upgrade the hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lalo_de_Mexico
Tampa, FL
Reviewed June 26, 2009

We stayed at the Americana recently when visiting DC. The metro station at Crystal City is a couple of blocks down the street. We booked this hotel sight unseen from a visitor center based on the reasonable price ($120) as compared to other hotels nearby ($300 +). The hotel location was convenient for our purposes (access to metro) but it sets back off the street and down-in (the parking area beneath it is covered in mud washed down from adjacent properties). This hotel appeared to be bargain basement quality as soon as we saw it, but we figured, what the heck, its only for one night. Staff was polite and helpful. The entire hotel looks like a relic from the 1950's, from lobby to rooms. I was shocked to be handed a real key for the room, rather than a swipe card. One out of two elevators was working; the working elevator had dated, cheap looking masonite on the walls. Upon entering the room we were hit with a musty smell, like a room closed up for years. I am unused to staying in a hotel like this, so I immediately inspected everything. To my surprise, it was clean as a pin. I even looked at the mattress & bedding closely, and aside from a small stain on the blanket, it was quite clean and the sheets fresh. All the furniture was dated and showing its age, but was serviceable. The high, through the wall air conditioner, while ugly, worked well. The pink and gray tiled bathroom walls looked like something out of an "I Love Lucy" episode, but was in good condition and again, clean. The television was older and the reception was a bit fuzzy. The mattress was reasonably comfortable. I was left feeling a bit insecure with the old fashioned door knob/lock and a sliding balcony door on the opposite end of the room. The continental breakfast was fresh and the dining area pleasant enough. Again, the lobby is dated and unattractive, but clean and serviceable.
I can't say that I enjoyed staying here, but for the price we could not complain.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TampaNugget
Atlanta
Reviewed June 18, 2009

Old motel, but very very clean, quiet and comfortable. Free internet (but may not be accessable from all rooms), continental breakfast (but no bananas or oranges which are advertised). A short walk to the subway, which is a 15-minute ride to downtown Washington. The television is an old staticy cathode-ray tube with 99 cable channels (no premium). There's a hair dryer and clothes iron with board in the room, but no clock or radio. Ice is on the first floor near the front desk. Cheap motel in an upscale neighborhood, surrounded by high-rise luxury apartment and office buildings. There's a Marriott just a block away. My travel expenses were being reimbursed, so I could as easily have stayed at a $300 per night downtown DC hotel. I enjoyed this motel far better than some $300 downtown hotels I've stayed at. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Kiwis in Scotland
Reviewed June 3, 2009

We stayed at The Americana for one night after a long day of flying from London. The hotels free airport shuttle arrived promptly after we rang even though we were 2 hours late arriving into DCA. The hotel is by no means the newest on the block, but the rooms are large and clean and quiet, except for the little old refridgerator (which I eventually unplugged). After a good nights sleep we were treated to a free breakfast selection of cereals, bagels, doughnuts, muffins, juice, coffee and tea. The 12pm checkout gave us time to wander around Crystal City for a couple of hours, before we headed into DC. There is a good selection of shops for those items you may have forgotten to pack, or for those things you don't really need to buy! It just a short walk to both the metro station for DC, and to the Virginia Railway Express station if your headed for Manassas or Fredericksburg. For those on a budget The Americana is definately worth a look, but don't expect lavish modern rooms.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank s_a_kiwi_travellers
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed May 28, 2009

I needed to travel to DC from where I live in Brazil to pick my permanent visa. Never having visited the area I did my homework and discovered that using the Metro and bus system I'd be able to do away with renting a car, and I found an inexpensive hotel near to a subway stop in a fairly nice area - The Americana.

Yes, the building is dated, but it is indeed VERY clean. Why anyone would nitpick considering what they pay per night puzzles me. I had a comfortable bed, a clean room, TV, a free shuttle, and the continental breakfast. Can't really expect much more than that for the money I paid.

My only gripes were that I wasn't aware that the in-room telephones were set so that we couldn't call out. The first day there, after 22 hours stuck on a plane or at an airport I wasn't happy when I discovered that I couldn't even call collect to say I had arrived safely. I ended up walking blocks to find a pay phone that worked. To their credit, after I explained why I was there and that I would be there for a full week, the staff did enable my phone the next day, which I really appreciated. I can understand the reason why they need to take this step.

One of the front desk staff members wasn't overly friendly, but everyone else was very nice. I found that the housekeeping staff all returned the smile I gave them.

We plan to return to DC to finish the sightseeing I didn't get a chance to finish, and will certainly be thinking of the Americana when we do.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Wagi
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed May 14, 2009

I could not be happier with this hotel especially given the price and the helpfulness of the staff.

While this hotel is not plush or glamorous, it is clean, orderly, affordable and has a free shuttle every 30 minutes between 6am--11pm. The shuttle will take you to the Metro station or other places in Crystal City.

I stayed at the Americana Hotel because I was attending a conference but did not have an expense account to pay for a hotel room. I was delighted with the convenience and promptness of the shuttle that would take me to the Crystal City Hilton. For reference, the conference discount for the Hilton was $169 + tax and the regular price started at about $250 (it's not an exceedingly nice hotel, by the way). For $80 per night (plus $8.20 tax per day), I feel like I got quite a deal!

There were a couple things I was not crazy about but, again, I think for the price makes up for it and then some. The wireless internet signal was poor or non-existent in my room. I think (and was politely told) it would have been fine in the common areas and always saw people happily sitting with their computers when I walked through those spaces. My room was humid and slightly musty but that was ameliorated by the heater/air conditioner in the room that I could control. Keeping the (very loud) bathroom fan on and the heater/AC kept air moving and dried it out.

If you are looking for a simple and modest place to sleep, the Americana Hotel is ideal. If you are expecting anything more upscale than a very clean and dated looking room, you will probably be disappointed. I think it would be fair to compare the Americana Hotel to an immaculately clean hostel but one where you have a comfortable room to yourself and a lot more privacy.

Bottom line: I have traveled all over the world and have stayed in a wide range of places, from high end hotels to an odd smelling cabin in Suriname. Given a wide range of experiences to which I can compare my stay at the Americana Hotel, I highly recommend the Americana Hotel based on the price, convenience and outstanding customer service from the flexible and pleasant staff.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business