“Great value, good location, not bad” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Americana Hotel
Ranked #19 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Alabama
“Great value, good location, not bad”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2004

While looking for a place to stay for our vacation to DC, I almost booked a room for $150 (and thought this was going to be a good deal). At the last minute I checked out the Americana Hotel and am glad that I did. It was only $75 a night, which is unreal for that area. The hotel was nothing phenomenal, but it served the purpose. It was a nice, clean, comfortable, place to sleep at night. While on vacation, you don't spend much time in the hotel, so why spend a ton of money on a room. Here are the details:

1. Very affordable, only $75 a night
2. Only 1 1/2 blocks from the Metro (best way around the area)
3. Shuttle to pick you up from the airport and to bring to some local places.
4. Nice breakfast of donuts and muffins.
5. Clean and comfortable rooms with refrigerators.
6. Friendly staff.

Our stay there was fine and I would stay there again. They would probably do better if they had a web site with more information and pics.

• Stayed October 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
12 Thank ybnorml

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Clarkston, WA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2004

We just returned from a visit to Washington, D.C. On the recommendation of a frequent visitor to the area we stayed at the Americana Hotel in the Crystal City area of Arlington. We couldn't have been more pleased. It was exactly as expected. Very clean. The beds had Marriott names on them, so I know they were second-hand but they were the most comfortable motel beds I have slept on in years. We paid half the price of the "brand" hotels. The metro was a five minute walk down the street. If you didn't want to walk, the shuttle was always available and for the return trip just a phone call away. I think the longest we waited for a shuttle was about 15 minutes and they were very apologetic about that. I will be recommending this hotel to anyone going to the D.C. area.

11 Thank karen99403
Fort Lauderdale, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2004

I recently stayed at the Americana based on the high ratings that others had given. From what I had read, I was expecting something basic, but clean. What I discovered was that while, indeed, the rooms were pretty clean and everything worked, the word "basic" is an understatement. It is REALLY dated, REALLY no frills. Built in the mid-60's, it appears never to have been upgraded since. The lobby is spartan with a bare terrazzo floor. The complimentary breakfast was donuts, bagels, juice, coffee.
Also, while I believe the area around the hotel is basically safe, on the night I stayed, I was awakened at 3am by a group of people loudly carrying on outside my 2nd floor patio window. Whether they were guests, employees, or locals, I am not sure, but it was disturbing and made you wonder what kind of security the place had. Another security concern: the place still uses old fashioned room keys rather than magnetic strip card locks that can be reprogrammed after each guest.
SO, ....why stay there? 1.) great location (2 blk from metro); close to Reagan Nat'l Airport 2.) cheap price: Americana $75 vs the Marriot one block down $275.
If you are looking for just pure utility value and can keep your expectations low you might be happy at the Americana. If you are looking for contemporary style and comfort, I would recommend you look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2004, traveled on business