“Great place to stay in Arlington”
Review of Americana Hotel

Americana Hotel
Ranked #21 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 3, 2009

Great place to stay when visiting DC/ northern VA on a budget. I stayed there for two days instead of at the hotel hosting my conference, saving me $120 a night. Building is on the older side and rooms have some older style furnishings and decor, but furniture was in great condition, and the rooms were impeccably maintained. No chipping paint, torn cushions, uncomfortable bed, etc. Staff were young but very personable. Location was great - about 1.5 blocks from Metro entrance and shuttle took me to hotel straight from National Airport. Room was quiet and great spread for breakfast - unlike the nearby hotels that charge twice as much. Highly recommend for anyone looking for a good, clean hotel with great location in the area.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank mlaposat
There are newer reviews for Americana Hotel

Reviewed February 22, 2009

Rude staff, very basic rooms. Not bad for subway and local shopping centre. Didn't have a great nights sleep due to inconsiderate neighbours.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Great place, friendly staff, comfy beds, wonderful (free) breakfast bar. Close to everything (mall, site seeing...)

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank heathr16
Reviewed January 6, 2009

This place is bed bug city! Cheapness clearly comes at a price.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I arrived late on Christmas afternoon, very tired from traveling. When I checked in, I was assisted by a young woman who seemed annoyed that she had had to stop whatever she was doing and wait on me. I asked about restaurants and she mumbled something about five blocks away, call a taxi. Then she gave me my room key and dismissed me. I had to ask directions to get to my room.
Hotel room was rather seedy looking. Battered furniture, old ac/heater combo that was so noisy that I couldn't hear the TV. I also had a hard time sleeping because I had to keep getting up and adjusting the setting. But the worst thing was the bathroom. The automatic exhaust fan (which ran whenever you turn on the light) was loud enough to wake the dead. So unnerving that I had to do my hair and put on my makeup using the mirror in the actual room. The hairdryer provided in the room was broken, and when I asked for another, that one was also broken, but when I told them there was a problem with it, they didn't follow up at all and so I had to use the room heater to dry my hair.
The breakfast setup was OK, but no hot cereal and no fruit, and only one kind of juice. But there was plenty. It would have been nice if they'd had a microwave because there are refrigerators in the rooms. I spent some time in my room working, and the internet connection was not too good, but I managed. I wished the management kept coffee and tea in the lobby for the guests.
Overall, I guess for $79 a night (and I stayed 3 nights) it was OK, but next time I will stay somewhere else. I think if I looked around more, I would have found something better for the price. If I were a business traveler I would have found the Americana unsuitable because it is rather run-down and would not give a good impression to business guests. But for someone on a personal visit and looking just for a place to sleep, you could do worse. At least it's clean.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 16, 2008

We stayed at the Americana for two nights in December 2008. We looked for a non-expensive deal close to the National Mall in DC and found the Americana.

We were more than satisfied. The hotel and the furniture is somewhat dated, but everything is clean and nice. Staff is friendly and helpful.

We had a King size bedroom ($165 for 2 nights) on the 4th floor. Continental breakfast is ok, they offer a number of different doughnuts and muffins, bagels and cereals and so on. Very good: Parking on their premises is free.

Nearby are the Crystal City shops, an underground shopping and restaurant area (5-min walk). The Metro stop is also there, and the yellow and blue lines connect you to the National Mall in just a few minutes.

We'd definitely stay there again, a perfect location for a short and affordable visit to DC.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
4  Thank CannibalsFan
Reviewed December 9, 2008

We stayed at the Americana for 5 nights in November. It was our first time in DC, and we checked the reviews, and decided the Americana fit our needs. It was close to the Crystal City Subway. The hotel was indeed very clean, and we had no complaints about the room. We would stay there again, and I have been telling friends and relatives about how clean the room was. I just wish there had been someplace to eat within walking distance.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple