Americana Hotel
Comfort Inn Ballston(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$161
ComfortInn
$229
Renaissance Hotels
  • Room Service
Free cancellation until 06/01
$170
Virginian Suites Arlington(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$170
$279
$249
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Econo Lodge Metro(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$144
$259
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
1,462 results
All reviewsdonutsfree parkingcrystal citypink tilefree continental breakfastdeluxe rooman older hotelmetro stationdc areabudget hotelshuttle serviceclean roomsmini fridgejefferson davis highwayreagan airportwould stay here againsafe area
Reviewed July 9, 2008

This hotel was great for our family of 4. The price was right, especially for the area, the hotel was very clean. Every employee we spoke with, were very friendly and helpful. As long as you aren't looking for luxury, most normal people would be totally satisfied with this hotel. I'm not into paying too much money for just a place to lay my head down....I'd rather spend my money on other things.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank amoilnyc
Reviewed May 30, 2008

Given the expensive nature of accomodation in the DC area this was a good deal. We stayed three nights and paid $109 a night. The Americana is close to the Metro and the motel provides a shuttle service to/from Reagan National Airport. A breakfast is provided that is no worse than that provided in many chain motels. The rooms were clean but we did get bedbugs which caused significant problems in ensuring we did not bring them into our home later. We have not yet had a response from the manager regarding our complaint. The building and furniture are very dated and there was a mustiness in our room.The bed and pillows were fairly comfortable. Air traffic is loud and the motel is right beside a major highway. The walls were thin enough to hear our neighbours even when we used the air conditioner . We felt safe in the neighbourhood. The quality of the staff was consistent with the quality of the motel -ie. mediocre. Would I stay there again? Only for the convenience to DC and the price.

• Stayed: May 2005
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
AmericanaHotel, Manager at Americana Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2008

We are very sorry to hear that one of our guests had a less than favorable assessment of their stay, and appreciate the opportunity to address their complaints.

Regarding the breakfast, we offer a complimentary continental breakfast from 6am - 10am. It typically includes:
*Coffee, Hot Chocolate, Milk & Orange Juice
*Deer Park Spring Water
*Twinings and/or Bentley's Teas in 4-10 Flavors
*3 Different Types of Cereal (which currently includes Kellogg's Special K, Kellogg's Smart Start, Kellogg's Fruit Loops, Nature's Path Organic Optimum Power, and Familia Low-Fat Muesli)
*Donuts, Croissants, Bagels, Pastries & Muffins Made and Delivered Fresh Daily
*Butter, Cream Cheese & Jelly
*Fresh Fruits, including Apples, Oranges & Bananas, are available most days

Regarding the bed bugs, upon receiving the complaint, our executive housekeeper immediately checked the room and found no signs of any pests in the room. Within one hour of the complaint, two additional members of our staff also checked the room and found no signs of pests. To accomplish checking the room, we took out (and inspected) all linens, checked the mattresses, box springs, underneath the beds, the corners of the room, the bathroom, and generally did a thorough inspection of the entire room. We did not find any bed bugs and have not had any additional complaints regarding bed bugs in that room or any other room in the hotel since that time. We also have a monthly pest service that checks the entire premises for signs of pest activity and their logs do not indicate the presence of bed bugs.

As a general note, bed bugs are a very serious matter because of the difficulty of exterminating them completely, their rapid multiplication, and the undesirable skin reaction caused by their bites. Any first hand experience with bed bugs would likely result in not wanting to repeat the experience, even if it meant saving a few dollars. Additionally, a lack of any other reports of pest activity at a hotel typically means that the hotel does not have a pest problem. It is unfortunate, but if a pest is observed under this circumstance, more often than not, that pest is brought in by the traveler, usually in their luggage. In this situation, we take proactive steps to help ensure infestation does not occur.

Regarding Americana Hotel itself, it was built in 1963 and needs renovation, however we strive to keep our rooms and common areas clean and comfortable. A few notes:

*Within the last six months, we have replaced most of the beds in the hotel, including the one in the room in question, with Serta Perfect Sleeper Master Suite's.

*The walls between the rooms are about 6 inches of cinderblock, and we rarely have any complaints about adjacent room noise; it seems to depend on the guest as to whether or not they hear their neighbors.

*We are conveniently located about 1 mile from Reagan Airport, so there is some air traffic noise; most guests, however, do not notice and/or mind.

*The lobby side of our hotel faces the 15th Street Exit Ramp off Route 1, so it is subject to road noise; again, it is very rare that a guest notices or minds, but it does occasionally happen.

Regarding the mediocre quality of the staff, we are sorry to hear if any of our guests feel this way and apologize for any shortcomings on our part. We are constantly striving to improve and appreciate all feedback that helps us provide exceptional customer service to every guest. We also hope this response has been helpful in determining whether or not Americana Hotel is the right place for your accommodation needs, and we thank you very much for considering us!

Reviewed April 28, 2008

The outside of the hotel looks like a stereotypyical welfare hotel. It appears quite run down. Some rooms are situated inside the building and some are outside. Several people told us that we were lucky that the elevator stopped on our floor, since they were unable to catch it from their floor. While clean, our room needed major updates. There was wood covering the bathroom window and the room faced a very close highway. The breakfast was decent, mostly made up of donuts. They ran out of bowls for the cereal and it took quite some time for them to be replaced. The staff appeared disinterested in our need for directions and restaurant suggestions. The metro is one block over if you take the short cut. There is so much to do in the Washington, DC area that one does not spend much time in the room. This was the most affordable, convenient, and safe hotel that we could find in the area during a busy season. But I don't think that we would go back.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank ShellL
Reviewed April 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed there for 2 nights, in order to have a cheap room in the area of DC. After all, I see that it is a mistake to think that if you can save 20 $ a night you are still okay with just a roof over your head..... After this experience, I swore myself to never ever check into a hotel again that my husband booked and which already looked disgusting from the outside!

When we arrived at the Americana, we were (tried to)checked in by an eldery man, who had problems to read the reservation, nor could find the key. After some time spending in the filthy lobby, we went to the elevator, since our room was on the third floor.
I am still happy to be alive, after taking that elevator! They had two, but one was already out of order. Who knows, how long the other one'll be still in the game.......
Our room was okay. Not too dirty, but not too clean either. Anyways, its nothing you would expect on an outskirt of Washington DC for a price of 150 $ a night!

Clearly, we had a family with children next door, since we could hear that children breathing! The walls were out of paper, and totally useless.
The second night, somebody stayed next door, who had a bad cold. Unfortuanely I catched that cold the next day. I don't even want to think about if I got it from the guy next door.

Every room at Americana has a balcony. It might have been nice to go outside to get a bit of "fresh" air (as fresh as it could be directely at the highway). Unfortunately it was not possible to open the balcony door. It was too rusty...... Due to that, it was not possible to close it properly either.

I don't even want to start with the breakfast. Just so much: "things" someone's able to eat are not automatically a breakfast, just because they are "served" in the morning!

Oh! And the nice lady at the reception....... I personally think that she really hated her job. Or just people... I don't know exactly. Anyways, we asked her how we could reach the subway to go into town and she looked at us as if we just asked her to eat the carpet. Then she showed us into one direction, that was definately the wrong way. How hard can it be???
And that walk ins't safe at all! You have to nearly climb up on a little field and walk through the mud, until passing several main streets and getting to the subway.

They had free wireless internet though, and we were able to find a nicer hotel for the rest of our trip!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NinaKrohn
Reviewed March 4, 2008

I chose this hotel after reading reviews and again, Trip Advisor reviewers were so very helpful and right on with their reviews. (Of course, there is no perfect hotel, so you may see a complaint now and then....) I had no problem driving to the hotel. We used AAA directions and they were great. Parking was FREE and right out front. Yeah, we had to make a couple trips to get our stuff from our trunk to our room, but there is an elevator - and you have to remember this is an absolutely clean and no frills hotel.

While we were driving up to it, my husband looked at this short, little hotel nestled in between some of the larger chain hotels, and said "ew!" and a sarcastic "this looks great!". I told him "Wait! I read it looks kind of older on the outside but the inside is so much better." Guess what? We were (mostly him because I had read the previous reviews) very pleasantly surprised. Nice, clean, great inside!

Convenient! It is just a couple blocks away from the Metro (subway type system). The Metro is very very clean and if you have a simple map that you can pick up in the hotel lobby, you can easily figure out how to get from place to place. We parked our car and didn't use it at all to get to Washington, DC.

Safe! We walked outside quite frequently at all different times of the day. One night after we went to an Irish bar we found, it was about 10:00 pm or so, and we saw a few other people walking. We even saw a female walking alone, so it must be safe! We never saw any nasty garbage laying around, the streets are well let and never saw any scary looking people out and about. We felt quite safe at all times.

Price: Look at all of the specials on the hotel website. We were able to get a king room for $95 per night. We had a small fridge in the room. I did notice in the hotel's info booklet in the room, they mention to keep the fridge at 3 1/2 so nothing would freeze. I followed those directions and our stuff was nice and cold. The room was very, very clean. I laughed when I got in the shower in the morning because the shower head seemed a little low and I was thinking - oh no - this is too short for my 6 ft 1 inch tall husband.. It was fine for me (I'm 5 ft 6 inches tall). Then when my husband took his turn in the shower, he came out and complimented it saying how great the water pressure was. When I asked him if it was too short, he didn't even notice any problem! I also agree - the water pressure was great and we had no problem with not having enough hot water. During our stay, the weather was quite cold, so the hotel people were quite nice and made sure the heat was on in our room. We felt they were too nice, because the room was too hot and immediately thought, should we change rooms?!? - BUT - we went to the air conditioner/heating unit and changed the settings and the room cooled down in no time and during our whole stay we were quite comfortable. The pillows are awesome (even though I always bring my own - my husband loved them). The beds are pretty good. They are definitely not pillow top, but are comfortable enough.

The complimentary breakfast in the a.m. was as expected after I read reviews. There is cold cereal, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, muffins and donuts. We brought our own fruit and some breakfast bars and instant breakfast drink to mix with milk, so we never took advantage of their food. I did drink their coffee though. Pretty good coffee. Their styrofoam coffee cups are a bit small, so I used my own travel mug.

This is a very basic hotel. There is one small bottle of shampoo, a couple bars of soap in the bathroom. They have plastic cups in the rooms (which is great - you know they are clean. After watching some of those news shows on how they clean the hotel glasses in the rooms.....) The room has a TV and remote, a large area to hang your clothes and plenty of drawers. My room had a phone. Remember there is no clock in the room, so we brought our own clock radio. Very basic, very clean and awesome price. Cannot go wrong here.

The staff we ran into were very pleasant and helpful. They all seemed very eager to please and answer questions.

I recommend this hotel to all. I will definitely stay there next time we visit DC. Hey, who knows? You may have your chance at 15 minutes of fame. While we were there, a group of about 8 guys came in and were looking around. My husband and most of the group got in the elevator together. My husband recognized one of the gentlemen as a move director that he recognized (ugh! he can't remember his name though). He said he saw this director on TV, like at the Oscars, etc. He was kind of staring at the director on the elevator and he director said, "Yeah, we will be making a movie here. Right now we are looking at the place to fix it up a little." So who knows...... maybe when you stay you'll see a real Hollywood movie being made!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple