My family and I stayed at the "retro" Americana Hotel during Spring Break of '13. Having researched 100's of hotels in the DC metro area, the price and other reviews helped me decide that this was the place for us. I would not hesitate in staying here again.
1. The retro feel of the lobby / rooms is fun.
2. The complimentary shuttle to and from the metro stop or airport is added value.
3. The affordability cannot be beat for the area.
4. Free parking -- a rarity in DC!
5. Close to shopping, metro, and restaurants.
6. While the breakfast was minimal, it was enough to "get you going".
1. It was cold in DC, and we could not regulate the heater in the room. You were either baking or freezing. The only way to turn the gas heater off was to unplug it from the wall. We also tried opening the door for short periods of time.
2. The bathroom (while it was decked out in the most awesome yellow tile) was small and without ventilation, so the hot shower created condensation that dripped all over.
3. The one and only ice machine was on the 1st floor. We were on the 4th floor. Eventually, I found it easiest to walk down three flights, press the elevator button, get the ice, and take the elevator back up.
After a very full day of driving, checking in, and sightseeing, we collapsed into bed at 11:30pm. At 1:00am, three unkind policemen woke us up banging on our door saying "someone reported that they thought they heard a gun shot and it may have come from this area and that they had to clear the hotel". They made me stand out in the cold in my bed clothes; proceeded to frisk me; woke my children and wife up and interrogated them; interrogated me; then, left as quickly as they came. Here's the strange part: NO ONE at the front desk could explain anything about it or even seemed to care that it happened or care to find out why it happened. It was all very mysterious and confusing, and remains to be.
After checking out a few hours early to take in some last minute sightseeing, my wife realized that she didn't have her camera battery and that she may have left it plugged into an outlet under a desk in the room. She called the front desk and they said to call back in 10 minutes after they had time to clean the room. When we called back, they said they had not found anything. However, after about 15 more minutes, the Americana Hotel called us back with the good news that it had been found and held it at the front desk until we returned. I thought this was excellent customer service.
If you are in the DC area and are looking for an affordable alternative, check out the Americana Hotel. It may be just what you are looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Americana Hotel is ideally situated in a neighborhood in Arlington, Virginia called Crystal City across the Potomac River from Washington, D.C. Since 1963, our family-owned-and-operated hotel near Washington D.C. has never wavered from its commitment to complete guest satisfaction with every stay. Business and leisure travelers alike are sure to appreciate our comfortable Arlington hotel accommodations and well-appointed Crystal City hotel amenities that include free shuttle service and a complimentary continental breakfast. We are only 1 mile from the Nation’s capital and within walking distance of two Metro stops. Please call us today and let us help you plan your next trip to Washington, DC! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Expedia so you can book your Americana Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Americana Hotel Arlington
- Americana Arlington