“Some good aspects, some bad aspects...”

Crystal City Marriott at Reagan National Airport
Ranked #20 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Miami, Florida
“Some good aspects, some bad aspects...”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Good:

1. Location: You didn't need to go outside to get to the Metro stop; the Crystal City Metro is located on the Blue and Yellow lines. This was great after a long day; you could take the elevator from the Metro level all the way to the room (Don't worry about random people being allowed into the hotel - you need a room key to access the elevators from 7 PM to 7 AM).
The Crystal City area is also great if you visit Washington during the weekday; there are many great restaurants that are open that cater to the business clientele of Crystal City.

2. Rooms: Very clean, the beds were comfortable, the air conditioning worked very well

3. Lobby: very sleek and modern (even though it's a bit small)

4. Service in the lobby: Although there was no concierge, the front desk staff was very helpful with directions, airport information, and luggage information.

5. Price: for just $119, we received breakfast for two, free wi-fi, and a late checkout of 2 PM.

Bad:

1. Breakfast: although the breakfast was included in the room rate, you had to use the buffet breakfast. The buffet was not very good; the hot food was somewhat cold and the cereals, breads, fruit, etc. did not seem fresh. Furthermore, the wait staff at the restaurant downstairs were rude.

2. Airport shuttle: on the way to the airport, the hotel has to stop at 3-4 other Marriott property hotels in the area. This was not announced to us, and we had to rush to catch our flight. The shuttles run every 20 minutes.

3. Lack of shops in Crystal City: they advertise Crystal City as a wonderful shopping hub; however, it is just an indoor strip mall. There are a lot of doctor's offices and beauty salons, but not mainstream retail stores like in Pentagon City.

4. Lack of a bathroom on the lobby floor: There was no bathroom on the lobby floor; instead, you had to take the elevator to the conference/mezzanine floor to use the restrooms, which was a bit annoying.

5. Lack of Metro service on weekends: Although this is not the hotel's fault, it certainly influences where one should stay. During the weekends, the metro trains to and from the DC suburbs are much more limited, so choose your Washington DC Marriott hotel wisely.

TO SUM UP...

If you are a business traveler in Crystal City for the week, a family who is looking for an affordable hotel close to Washington DC, or someone who does not mind sacrificing quite a bit to save some cash, then the Crystal City Marriott is for you. This hotel is not good for weekend travelers or travelers who need to reach Washington DC quickly.

6 Thank cabo23

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
Buffalo NY
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Spent 3 nights here for a conference & would seriously consider staying here for pleasure next time I visit the DC area. Hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to/from Reagan Washington National Airport every 20 minutes. Front Desk staff courteous & professional-checkin was a breeze. Despite the hotel's location in a busy metropolitan area, my 5th floor room was quiet-no noise from traffic below nor was there any noise from from adjacent rooms. Hotel appears to be family friendly- I noted several families with kids of varying ages who seemed to be having a good time whether they were sightseeing or hanging out at the indoor pool. The hotel recently underwent a major renovation so everything is fresh & clean. My room was immaculate, wonderfully comfortable bedding, air conditioning worked well though a bit noisy. Not much of a bother-I slept well. Bathroom small compared to similar properties but clean. Hotel just a couple blocks from the Crystal City Rapid Transit Station-perfect for catching the "Blue Line" to Arlington National Cemetery & National Mall. Hotel has "Happy Hour" with some pretty good specials on drinks & light food fare. Didn't have dinner in the hotel but there are great restaurant choices within walking distance from the hotel. Try "Legal Seafood", the "Sports Bar" or the Thai restaurant just 2-3 blocks away. Arlington is a great value access point for the DC area!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank vineyardchick
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I just checked out after a wonderful three-day stay for work. This hotel is very nice for the business or leisure travelers. The service and rooms were exactly what I expected on all levels. This Crystal Gateway Marriott is centrally located to the Metro and many shops/restaurants.

The hotel surprised me the last night by sending up a very nice piece of cake, milk, and birthday card signed by the staff. The lady checking me in noticed from my ID that my birthday was later on in the week. She mentioned it but I had no idea about the surprise. This was truly a touch of class and the tray was even decorated.

You really can’t go wrong at this hotel. The pool and gym area are not as elaborate as other Marriott’s I’ve been at, but that isn’t a deal breaker. Having direct access to the Metro and places to eat is fantastic!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
michigan
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at the Crystal City Marriott for 4 nights 5 days in July. The room was very clean. It was the middle of a horrible heat wave and the AC worked perfectly. We had a roll away bed and were not charged extra for it. The pool area was great. Very large pool, we pretty much had it to ourselves Monday-Wednesday. There wasn't a crowd until Thursday. Best part of the hotel is that is lies above an underground shopping/restaurant system. It takes about 5 minutes to get to the metro and then you can go anywhere through D.C. I would definitely recommend this hotel to a family or even a couple going to visit the D.C. area.

2 Thank badapple71
Sanibel Island, Florida
Reviewed July 27, 2011

I love it when you check in and you are treated like the only guest at the hotel! I had GREAT service from the moment I arrived until I checked out. The entire staff was courteous and professional, and exceeded my expectations. The room was clean and very comfortable. This was one of my best business trips -- accomodations included!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We have stayed at Many hotels before but this one was pretty bad. We stayed for 4 nights and during that time the Lobby printers were not working, the guest laundry washing machines were out of order and the dryers never got hot enough to dry clothes. I bought a juice from the Bistro and it was expired and tasted awful. They gave me a refund but were not kind in the process. The internet was not reliable. The room service was early on some days and late on other days.
When I checked out I asked to speak to a manager and they said they didnt have one available to talk to me. I personally didnt believe this because any self-respecting hotel always has managers ready to help. When I told the front desk about my problems, they simply smiled and did nothing to help solve this issue. I am not the type of person to start yelling and cursing but I can see where someone in my shoes might feel the need to do so in this situation. I felt totally dismissed. There are other options close by, find a better place.

2 Thank asdfamily
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We stayed at the Crystal City Marriott for our family vacation to D.C. in July 2011. We were able to get a great last minute rate which was awesome. We drove to D.C. so we were not sure exactly when we were going to arrive. I called the hotel on the way and they were very accomadating in getting our room ready for an early check in. When we arrived the front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. Our room was ready right away and we were able to drop off our bags and head right into the city. The Metro is a short walk in a tunnel/ mall area underneath the hotel. It was very easy to access! The pool stays open until 11:00pm so we were able to come back and swim before going to bed. There is also a lifeguard on duty. The next day, we left a note for the maid saying that we needed an extra towel. When we came back we had four more! Every one we encountered in the hotel was very friendly, including the other guests. This must be a reflection of the staff's friendliness. This was a great hotel and we will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: We booked our room the weekend before and the Marriott website gave us the same deal other websites...