“Dry cupcakes, good service”
Review of Cakelove - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Cakelove
Dining options: Takeout
Dining options: Takeout
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I'm really not a cupcake fan, but a pastry chef friend of mine really wanted to try this place out. The service was really friendly, I will give it that, but I didn't prefer the cupcakes.
On two separate occasions, I tried both the regular cupcake and the gluten free. I found both cakes very dry. The icing was just okay, but I think I threw 1/2 the cupcake out because it just wasn't worth the fat and calories.
I had a Valentine's cupcake from BestBuns down the street, though, and had I not been in public, I probably would have licked the icing from the parchment wrapper after I devoured the cupcake. So said the non-cupcake eater...

1  Thank karilovesadventures

Reviewed November 17, 2012

Heard so much about this place that I couldn't wait to try it. Been twice as I had hoped my first experience was not a true indication of the level of quality. Sadly, it was. I have never had such dry tasteless cake in my life. The icing wasn't much better. Bleeckkkk....

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I've had cakes from here for several years at different occassions and I have never been that impressed. I think they are overrated and overpriced. Maybe it's just been bad luck.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

Large assortment of cupcakes. It was ok. Kind of pricey. I think I need to give it another try. But it was kind of cool.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

How often do you actually find buttercream frosting made with real butter? Well, you can taste the butter and feel it melt in your mouth. Yum! The lightness of the frosting is well balanced by a heavier cake. What a welcome change from the usual "me-too" so called artisan cupcake baker cashing in on a trend, where art-over-substance box-mix ho-hum is super-slathered in lard tasting stuff. The seasalt carmel cupcake is my fav, with the occasional little chunk of coarse salt in the carmel letting me know this cupcake features truth in advertising. The biggest problem I see for this baker with his great story is his turning off repeat visits with tooooo steep of a price. It's a great cupcake, but still just a cupcake. With a half dozen cupcakes costing the same as a short-rib dinner, I'll have to reconsider another stop at the bakery. The price hurts my rating.