“Good hamburgers and shakes”
Review of Ray's To The Third - CLOSED

Ray's To The Third
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Takeout
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We all liked our shakes. I had one with Oreos. My daughter had one with rum which was delicious. I also liked my hamburger with blue cheese. This is a popular place. President Obsma is rumored to be a regular. There is a self service section and another section that is full service.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I think the owners got tired of running a busy burger joint with a small profit margin, deciding to divorce themselves from that proletarian environment and shoot for something more elaborate and stylish. That is why they moved accross the street to a bigger location in a contemporary office building and changed the name from Ray's Hellburger to just Ray's. That is how they lost the sexiness of a cozy hidden gem and confused customers with a divided operation: on one side, there is the original ordering counter and, on the other side, sit-in table dining. They do still have the same size burger with its huge patty inside the much smaller size bread with many garnish choices. Across the room, they also offer expensive items: filet mignon with mushroom cream sauce in cognac ($24.00) and Norwegian grilled salmon ($15.00); they both tasted very average. On both sides, you can still order their special desserts, milk shakes or mud pie ($5.00).

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

The big devil burger was average.. The meat it self was fresh but the rest of it was just ok. I ordered grilled onions and jalapeños along with tomato pickles and pepper jack cheese. My order was wrong when it came out no grilled onions no pepper jack cheese, They put the wrong cheese and the jalapeños were not grilled they were raw and on the side.. No big deal.. I wasn't going to complain because I don't believe in comPlaining at a restaurant and having food sent back. I don't want any one to spit on my food. The sweet potato fries were as good as your frozen grocery store bought ones. The strawberry milkshake I had was te best thing about my whole experience there. It was very good! The girl at the counter was friendly. Good customer service. The place was clean but this burger place could be better.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Had heard a lot of good things about this place from others, and were disappointed in the food. Three of us had burgers, and one had the steak sandwich. While not that bad, all burgers and steak sandwich were dry (not at all juicy), overdone, and over-charcoaled on the outside. As a few others have mentioned, we felt a cold draft every time the front door opened, and we were sitting about half-way back in the restaurant. On the positive side, our server was very attentive and friendly. Though we were there on a busy Saturday night, he never rushed the four of us as we lingered after we finished eating. We also had no trouble making a reservation, and they had our table waiting for us. One last negative - they don't serve coffee. My wife wanted a cup of coffee after dinner, and our server politely told us that they have no coffee products, except a coffee-flavored milkshake. Don't think I've ever been to a restaurant anywhere in the world where they don't serve coffee. You'd think they could invest in two coffee makers and at least serve regular and decaf.

1  Thank ADK28
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We've been fans of the various Ray's restaurants for as many years as they've existed, and started eating at this one when Ray's Hellburgers (across the street), our favorite go-to place for a quick and tasty dinner, closed. This one has a sit-down service area and a counter, where you can order your food and eat in or take it out. (Note that they have different menus.)

My partner is a big burger fan and swears by Ray's New Jack Zing (just ask them). I prefer seafood and generally opt for the lobster, crab and shirimp cake sandwich. We go early to avoid lines and can generally find parking on Clarendon Boulevard, the street south of Wilson. As one reviewer noted, there is little protection from the open door so on cold nights, the tables near the door are drafty.