“Nice hotel near I-66 and 4 blocks from Metro”

Comfort Inn Ballston
Ranked #24 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
north carolina
“Nice hotel near I-66 and 4 blocks from Metro”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I came here on business driving a school group that was touring Washington DC. The Metro stop is only a few blocks from the hotel which is very nice.
Group Travel Planners, beware this hotel has a parking lot inside of a courtyard setting and you have to go underneath a 9 ft 6 in clearance. Therefore it is not a bus friendly property for mini buses and motor coaches. Largest van you can bring in is a 15 passenger van or a high top Sprinter van at best. The management was nice enough to let me park at another sister property of theirs that had room for my bus. Their shuttle drivers were nice enough to ferry me back and forth to and from my bus.
A few things I was disapointed about this property was that the TV had no HBO and Weather Channel on the channel line up, bummer. Chair in room lacked an ottoman and microwave and fridge did not have an adequate power supply. I would have to unplug fridge to microwave a tv dinner.
Plus side of the room was that there was a heat lamp in the bathroom and the A/ C unit was nice and quiet.
Comp breakfast was the same sausage and eggs daily. How about some variety? The milk is in small school milk containers, YAY! They also have a waffle iron and standard fare buffet such as cerials and rolls and apples and bananas.
Overall I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: For light sleepers, get a room facing the courtyard parking lot.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank penguinlimo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Radford, Virginia
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel has friendly and attentive staff. The rooms are spacious and clean and have a refrigerator and micro-wave. The breakfast is excellent and very filling! It is within walking distance of the metro and is literally a few yards away from the highway! It also has a food court/shopping area within walking distance. I have stayed here a few times on a DC field trip with my students and will continue going back!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed May 9, 2012

If you want good value for your money, stay here. The Comfort Inn Ballston is clean, nicely decorated, conveniently located--close to D.C.. Definitely stay here if you come to D.C. with a car and want the flexibility of car and public transportation.

We found the rooms up-to-date, nicely decorated, and roomy. We chose rooms facing the courtyard, which means a quieter room. There's plenty of free parking. Loading and unloading the car is easy as parking is near the elevator. Access to I66 is immediate. On the weekend, D.C. is a 15 minute drive, which means downtown is nearby. Remember: D.C. is a big city with traffic jams; your driving time may be different.

We did not use the Metro, but the nearest stop is a 10-minute walk. The staff was most willing to drive us to the Metro if we wanted.

There are nearby restaurants, such as the Melting Pot, which means guests can find dinner: the hotel offers no lunch or dinner. The hotel does offer a hot breakfast, which is the standard Choice chain breakfast. It's good.

The weekend prices are great. The hotel scales prices so peak business rates, Mon to Thu, are 20-40% higher. We're retirees so we moved to a lower priced Choice Inn: Culpepper, VA

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard room.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Ocean City, Maryland
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Have stayed at Comfort In Ballston a few times this spring. Clean rooms, convenient location and great staff. Edwin was terrific in assisting us-we were in town due to a relative's illness and he was very accomodating with any requests we had/directions,etc. The breakfast is also nice with both hot and cold selections. I recommend the Comfort Inn Ballston to anyone staying in the Arlington area.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sean C
Heidi B, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Ballston, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Thank you for the great comments. Our goal is to provide the best value in the DC area and the best service, and it looks like for your stay we met that goal. We appreciate your business and we will be sure to share your comments with our staff.
Carterville, Illinois
Reviewed May 1, 2012

I have been meaning to write a review for the Comfort Inn Ballston for some time now and having spent over two months of my life staying here over the last decade, I feel as if I am pretty qualified to write this review. Here it goes:
I annually take a student group to Washington DC for a class assignment and every year we have used the Comfort Inn Ballston as our home away from home. Although we don’t spend much non-sleeping time at the hotel, we are always on the move into DC, I have always found my stays there to be pleasant with few issues. The location is safe and convenient to the Ballston METRO station and there are numerous places to eat and shop within walking distance. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel is quiet.
The Comfort Inn Ballston staff has always been friendly to us and will work to correct any problems that may arise. One big positive for me is that they have been stable with their management team over the years. Victor always took great care of our group from the scheduling to the checkout. The new manager, Min, has picked up where Victor left off.
It would be difficult to spend as much time as I have in any one hotel and not have had the occasional problem. Although, I can tell you that the problems we have had were minor and they are outweighed by the helpfulness of the hotel management and staff. There have been occasions where they went above and beyond to help us out, such as the year when our flight was cancelled due to an ice storm and we had to stay two additional days. They saved us from a couple of nights sleeping in the airport. So while this place is not perfect, I trust it and I always know what I am getting for my money.
If you are looking for a 4 or 5 star place with upscale amenities and a spa atmosphere, this is not your place. I can say that it needs a little updating of the TV’s and the décor is not all shiny and new. However, if you are looking for a basic hotel in a convenient location, a safe neighborhood, clean rooms, and friendly management and staff then the Comfort Inn Ballston has what you are looking for. See you next year Comfort Inn!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank dab88
monroe, michigan
Reviewed April 29, 2012

We were quite pleased with our 2 nights. The rooms are spacious and included a microwave, mini-fridge and safe plus all the usual. I needed help with three little personal chores and the staff was terrific. Great breakfast offering including make your own waffles, eggs and sausage, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt and more. Nice location close to all the restaurants and metro and right by the exit from 66. Parking space provided (a big plus over other more expensive hotels in the same neighborhood). All the employees were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MonroeJabb
New Jersey
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed one night on business. The room was unexpectedly spacious. The bathroom was partially updated but still a bit dingy, with a rusty light fixture and door hinges, and a loose shower curtain rod.

There was some noise from the nearby freeway and adjoining rooms, but it was tolerable.

The room was clean, the beds comfortable, and the hot water plentiful. Hallways were bright and clean.

Breakfast was basic but fine.

I guess it is a good value for the DC area at $200/night. It's not too far from the Metro stop, but a a bit of a long hike with luggage.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Heidi B, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn Ballston, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to improve our product and services. We apologize parts of your stay were not as expected but we are pleased you found our hotel to be clean and a good value. We hope to see you again.