All reviewstypical courtyardcrystal cityfront deskmarriott courtyardmetro stationshuttle serviceruns every minutesan early flightfree shuttlesmall fridgeother hotels in the areabusiness tripdefinitely stay here againparkinglobbystarbucksprinter
Reviewed July 26, 2011

I made the mistake of assuming this hotel was closer to the Crystal City and Pentagon City malls, and a Metro stop. It was not. They did a pretty good job with their Metro shuttle access--it will even take you to and from stores between the hotel and the Crystal City Metro. I guess the location is great for National Airport. But the location was still a minus for me. They must've recently redone the interior because it was attractive. But the hotel is clearly skimping on its labor costs, since they were chronically understaffed and the staff appeared frequently to be overworked, with a predictable hit to customer service. They never brought me a fridge for the room. There was usually no change for the laundry machines. The laundry soap would not dispense at times, and one of the washers was out of service two out of three times I tried to use it. There was no breakfast buffet. It really bothered me that the maid constantly changed my radio station on the alarm clock and couldn't be bothered to change it back. Even after I complained about it, it got better for about a day. And the chintzy radio was hard to tune. Some of the staff was trying very hard to give very good customer service but others didn't seem to be trying hard. That's why I gave it an average rating.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank kamingusu
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We booked our second stay here and we were just as happy the second time around as the first. We used Marriott Rewards Points for the room, but they still honored my Platinum status by offering us a top-floor room and an amenity. Lobby seemed freshly renovated and hotel was convenient to underground mall and local area restaurants in walking distance. They have a convenient and free shuttle to DCA airport that runs frequently.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2011

Great staff. Clean rooms. Nothing fancy but very comfortable beds. Well stocked market near front desk and not ridiculous prices in bistro. We had great success with the shuttle to the metro. Drivers were quick, available, and friendly. We relied on them...and the metro...for our 5 day stay.

Pool is a joke. About the size of a toilet.

Only real complain here is the airport shuttle. There are MANY Marriott properties in Crystal city and they share airport shuttles. Doesn't matter which one came - if they even stopped - they weren't for our hotel. We called the hotel a total of 6 times over the period of 65 min. and were told each time that the shuttle comes by every 20 min. (not in a friendly voice btw). As we were about to hail a cab, my husband convinced a Marriott shuttle driver to take pity on us and take us to the hotel. The Metro shuttle never let us down...but on both trips to the airport we had problems with getting a shuttle.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank OklahomaTravelmom
GeneralManagerWASCT, General Manager at Courtyard Arlington Crystal City / Reagan National Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2011

Thank you OklahomaTravelmom for your review of the Courtyard Crystal City. While I see that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay, I do apologize for your difficulties with the shuttle service from the airport to the hotel. If you will provide me with a few details on which airline you arrived on and time of day, I will be happy to investigate why our shuttles did not arrive in a timely manner to pick up your party. Please fee free to contact me directly at wasct.gm@marriott.com. I look forward to hearing from you so that I can begin to resolve the problems you experienced with the airport shuttle service.

Best regards,
Phil Smith, General Manager

Reviewed June 13, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel three times within the past several months. I usually walk from the airport, but was unable to do so this trip, so I called for a shuttle pickup, and was told that a shuttle would be at the airport within five to ten minutes. Marriott has at least six hotels in Crystal City, and use shuttles making a 'north loop' and 'south loop'....several vans went by without even slowing. Two fans stopped but I was told that these were 'the other loop.' After waiting a half an hour, a third van stopped. It was also for 'the other loop' but the driver took pity on me and drove me to the Courtyard. The most maddening element of the stay was the intermitent Wi-Fi...no sooner than I was logged on, the signal would disappear.....this happened over and over. On the last morning, I was able to sign on a neighboring signal and was able to check e-mail and flight arrangements. At 3:00 A.M. several shrieking females entered the next room, and were loud, loud, loud for some time.....talk about PAPER THIN WALLS. And, a minor point....complimentary coffee is said to be available from 6:00 A.M. until 10:00 A.M.....that should read..'...whenever they get around to it until 10:00 A.M. Leaving the hotel, I was told by the desk clerk the shuttle would be along in 'a couple of minutes'.....I won't bore you with all of the sordid details...just note that some FORTY minutes later, a shuttle van appeared.....never again!!!

Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your review of the hotel. I am sorry that this experience at the hotel was such a poor one for you. Each of your concerns (shuttle, noise, internet and coffee service) are failures you should not have been left to incounter at our hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly at 703 549 3434 or via email at wasct.gm@marriott.com so that I may follow up directly with you.

Best regards,

Phil Smith, General Manager.

Reviewed April 15, 2011

I spend about 100 nights a year on the road so when I run across a hotel that does what they are suppose to do and do it well I want everyone to know.

This hotel is in a nice location and while located right next to the airport and a busy road it was exceptionally quiet.

On top of that the service was top notch. From check in to check out they met every request. On top of that I used their shuttle to the Metro everyday and the drivers were courteous and polite. They dropped off right in front of and picked up right in front of the metro station. I even walked a couple of times for fun and felt the neighborhood was very safe even at night.

The rooms were clean and everything functioned properly. I can't tell you the number of times I run into simple things like slow running drains or remotes with dead batteries. Little things that add up in the long run as annoyances.

for the record I was forced to spend one more night (plane troubles) at another well known chain down the street and that place was a dump. This is a little gem.

Room Tip: Just book online at the Marriot website and prepa.
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple