“Good price and location”

Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima
Ranked #32 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was not sure if I wanted to stay at this hotel because of some of the reviews that I read but since I really just needed a place to sleep while we spent the day sight seeing i thought I would take a chance. The location is good and it is about an easy 8 minute walk to the Metro. The neighborhood felt safe so even walking back to the hotel at night was not a worry. There really are not too many places to eat around the hotel. We only ate once at the restaurant at the hotel but the service was so slow (45 minutes to get toast and an egg) that we deiced to not eat there again. Instead we stayed on the Metro after out day in DC and got off at Clarendon Metro stain. Here there were plenty of eating options such as The Cheescake Factory and also there is a Whole Foods where we bought food for breakfast. There is also some nice shops to go shopping. Although the hotel does not have a shuttle it was only a $10.00 cab ride and well worth it. We were in DC for 5 days and bought a Smart Card and loaded it with the $35 7-day pass. Well worth it! It was nice to not have to worry about looking for change and they charge an extra $1 each time you but a paper ticket.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We had a great time in the Washington D. C. area. It was easy to get to all of the major attractions from the hotel. We found the direction sheets that were provided to us at check-in to be very helpful in navigating around the city. Our room was comfortable and clean. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The free parking was a nice bonus.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Iwo Jima Rosslyn is close to the main road, the Iwo Jima memorial and Arlington Cemetery, as well as Rosslyn station. Staff were generally helpful in providing information about shops, restaurants, transport etc.
The free wifi worked intermittently - but that was true of most hotels I stayed at, while travelling with a group of friends. However this hotel was considerably more expensive than we had been paying, and we had hoped for a bit of luxury. My room was above the restaurant and guest reception area, and the smell from smokers was overwhelming.
We stayed in a Best Western Hotel in Halifax which was luxurious, so this hotel was disappointing.
Not good value for money if comparing to similar hotels.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms away from 'smoking' area.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LindyAussie_10
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had wanted to visit the Smithsonian Museums in DC for some time. I learned from a friend about some cheap airfares and booked mine then set about accommodation. Having visited the US several times on business, I had an idea what to look for and also that the star system isn't absolute.

Well, anyway. The hotel is well located for the price. The trick to DC is the Metro system. Rosslyn Metro is about half a mile away, about 10-15 mins walk. I managed it with two suitcases so no biggie. Get a SmarTrip (like an Oyster) and you'll be sorted. Compared with the London Underground it's child's play.

My room was very clean, very comfortable bed, good TV. Amazing Wifi - the best I've known in a hotel, anywhere. Staff were always attentive, very helpful and (as is the American Way) polite, but not to the point of discomfort.

The attached Ledo restaurant was good. I ate a few breakfasts there; they were slightly more expensive than I expected but the staff were lovely and free coffee refills!

A couple cons: the fridge was noisy so I unplugged it and the treadmill in the gym was half-broken but I worked round it.

I don't know what more to add. It was perfect for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Hotel was not very clean outside never made it to the room since the hotel was over booked and priceline moved us to a way better hotel but this hotel felt they still had to charge me for the room good thing priceline is taking care of this for me stay away plenty of better hotels less then a mile away

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank tonycuevas
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We choose this hotel based on reviews, price and location. All turned out just to be fine.

The room is a bit outdated, but the beds are good and everything is clean. We booked a room with 2 separate beds. The hotel offers free parking which was great.

Breakfast isn't included, so we grabbed breakfast at Ledo Pizza which is located near the entrance to the hotel. They served good breakfast!

If you want to see the Iwo Jima memorial, it's a 10 minute walk. The Arlington Cemetary is about 20 minutes walking from the hotel. Offcourse you want to visit the National Mall; then I'd recommend taking the metro which will take you there in 10 minutes (the nearest metro station on the blue/orange line is Federal Triangle Metro, from there it's a 10 minutes walk to the Lincoln Memorial).

Overall; this is a good hotel. Nothing fancy, nothing bad.

Room Tip: Grab a pizza at Ledo's Pizza
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank EwoutW
Reviewed October 15, 2013

My review rating is based on what the hotel was for us - a reasonably priced hotel with easy access to bike routes and metro to see sights around DC. We used bikes during our visit and it was perfect. 2 blocks, cross the bridge and you are at Iwo Jima Memorial and from there you can ride bike trails into and around DC. Hotel was older, but clean. Non-smoking, which is a plus for me (although the smoking area is right outside lobby where you have to walk through it at times - that is a poor choice by management and I said something to the desk guy who said it was above his pay grade). Walked around local area one night to eat and felt safe. Ate lunch at restaurant on the property and food/service was very good. All in all, it worked out well for our visit.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends