Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima
$179
RitzCarlton.com
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $287/night.

$101
GardenInn.com
  • Restaurant
Virginian Suites Arlington(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$93
$89
AscendHotels
Savings alert! 24% below average rates

The price you found is 24% lower than this hotel's average rate of $117/night.

$107
$93
ComfortInn
Crystal Gateway Marriott(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$149
$119
Marriott Hotels
Savings alert! 38% below average rates

The price you found is 38% lower than this hotel's average rate of $191/night.

The Westin Arlington Gateway(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$102
$99
Westin.com
$76
$73
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of $86/night.

$109
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $131/night.

Econo Lodge Metro(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$121
$102
EconoLodge
Hyatt Centric Arlington(Arlington)(Great Value!)
$99
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $119/night.

1,670 results
All reviewsfree parkingledo's pizzaarlington cemeterymetro stationminute walkwalking distancemicrowave and fridgeindoor poolon site restaurantdc areaplace to sleepan older hotelnational mallclose proximityroom was clean and comfortablecoffee makerfew blocks
Reviewed October 14, 2011

I'd say a normal best western is 3 stars. This one is 2. While it is 8-10 min. to the metro, it's near a busy street in an area that seems strange. I don't think it's a dangerous area, but it's not an area I want to be in. Near a very busy street, dark roads, and an uphill climb whenever you leave the hotel. TV didn't work until the 3rd day. I don't at all recommend eating at the "pizza" place next door. Walk UP the hill to Wilson street. Great place called Piola's we just went to tonight. We are staying here because it's the cheapest place we could find. We also woke up at 7am this morning to a fire alarm because someone was smoking in their room. On a positive note, the fire department was here within 4 or 5 minutes.

Again, if you are in search of a cheap place... this is fine. It's somewhat inconvenient, but not the end of the world. The rooms are typical best western... not luxurious, but also not dirty.

Oh... and the pool... not nearly as nice as the pictures suggest... but it's a whole lot of water for kids to enjoy. The strangest part is that there are no steps to get in the pool. Just ladders. That doesn't seem right.... but oh well. Just jump in I guess.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ryanasu
YourDCManager, Public Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2011

Thank You for taking the time and consideration to let us know about the circumstances surrounding your recent visit to our hotel. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconsistencies in service you experienced during your stay.

Reviewed October 12, 2011

I stayed for one night on business. Hotels in DC are exorbitant so I looked for a reasonable rate within walking distance to the Metro knowing I would only be in the room to sleep. I didn't use a lot of the facilities but still enough to make an impression. The hotel is comprised of two sections--a two story motel-style building with rooms that open into the parking lot connected to a regular building with rooms. The hotel is in a quasi-residential area next to tall apartment buildings, one street away from a busy highway. There isn't a lot of character to the neighborhood but it seemed safe enough.

Check-in was fast, courteous and friendly. I asked for a quiet room and was given one on the second floor in sort of a hallway that connects the two buildings. My room was basic as you would expect from a budget hotel but spacious and clean. The furnishings showed their age but were serviceable and most importantly the bed was firm and comfortable. The room has been updated so there are plenty electric sockets and an LCD TV on the wall. The bathroom was clean and the shower and water pressure were fine. There was a microwave, fridge and coffee maker in the room, plus free coffee in the lobby. In my experience the older hotels always have creaky floors and this one was no exception; in fact, not only was my floor creaky, I could hear the creaks of my neighbor's floors too. That, and the sound of the shower running next door, told me the walls are not the thickest though I didn't hear anything else. The neighborhood is in the flight path of Reagan airport but the airplanes are pretty high so the noise is noticeable but not overbearing (and I'm sensitive to noise).

When I arrived at 10 pm I wanted to buy a bottle of water and my choices were the on-site restaurant (which was closed) or a couple of vending machines a few doors down. There isn't much in the way of stores near the hotel so get what you need before you arrive, especially if you get there at night. The hotel is about a 10 minute walk from the Rosslyn Metro station (5 minutes if you're a fast walker). The sidewalks are good and the walk is fine but you wouldn't want to do it in foul weather. There are no taxis waiting but I saw a couple pull up to the hotel for guests who had called for them.

Yes, in many other cities I would have paid half what I paid for this hotel. But in DC where all hotels seem to be double the normal rate, this was a reasonable alternative. This is no substitute for a business hotel but if you need a place to lay over for a night it's a fine basic hotel.

Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jack783
YourDCManager, Guest Relations Manager at Red Lion Hotel Rosslyn Iwo Jima, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2011

Dear jack783,

Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and I needed a room convenient to downtown for a night to attend a late-night event. We didn't need to shell out $300 for one of the nicer places downtown -- just needed a clean place to sleep! The Best Western was nothing fancy, but was clean and comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful. Noise was not an issue, and the free parking was certainly a plus!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear crogers100,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. We appreciate your business and look forward to accommodating you again.

Reviewed October 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for four nights on a tour of washington DC. We chose this hotel as it is very close to a metro station (0.3 mile from the Rosslyn metro). The area is relatively safe (Although not fun to walk at night) and the metro itself is very good having both orange and blue lines (which make it very easy to get to the national mall, smithsonian etc.). That said, the area doesn't really have any good restaurants nearby so if you want to eat, you should do it some place else (we ate in downtown one night and in clarendon which is a couple of stations away on other another night).
It was also relatively cheap for washington DC (which is expensive overall).

The hotel itself is not very attractive to look at (it looks more like a motel than a hotel) and while the rooms were standard and relatively clean they didn't bring a nice feeling.

The two main problems with the hotel (other than the unappealing feeling of it) are the noise and the water.
The water in the bathroom would not stay at a constant temperature changing from hot to cold all the time.
The noise is considerable. You can hear airplanes from the nearby airport, cars from the nearby freeway and anyone talking or moving outside the room. Furthermore, the cleaning crew comes and knocks on the door to see if you are there as there is no "Do not disturb" sign (not that it matters as you can't sleep late with all the noise anyway).

The maintenance of the place is not that good either. The air conditioner was noisy and didn't work too good and the internet was all but unusable.

All in all, a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank voldan

Dear voldan,

Reviewed October 7, 2011

I chose this hotel as I could park my hire car there without charge and I liked the location just a few minutes walk from the Iwo Jima monument and a few minutes further to the Arlington Cemetery, from where you can access the Tourmobile bus to tour Washington and the cemetery. The sub way is also just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. We had a room at the front which had a view of the Washington monument across the river. The hotel is unpretentious but is well run, comfortable and clean. Alas no complimentary breakfasts but Ledo's Pizza next door is excellent both for breakfast and dinner. I recommend this hotel without reservation.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear GlobetrotterSurrey,

Thank You for taking the time to comment on our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us and we are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay. We look forward to accommodating you again.